Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lift Shackles for 2WD models

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
thetube

Number of posts : 9
Home City : PNW
Registration date : 2023-05-14

Lift Shackles for 2WD models  Empty
PostSubject: Lift Shackles for 2WD models    Lift Shackles for 2WD models  Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2023 4:05 pm

Hey folks,

New to the group and new to the Hiace life. I thing I may have hit a roadblock and am looking for some help from the community.

I have a '95 LH123V FWD. I was trying to get my hands on some lift shackles for the rear. I believe I have a torsion bar to be cranked to raise on the front end (I have no idea how to do that). Reached out to Hiace southeast and Roamer and finally to BloodRedOffroad out of the UK. Dave from bloodred was the only one who carried them and he just sold his last set (said he wasn't going to machine them anymore). Anybody know someone who would make these? I believe VanlifeNorthwest only has lift options for the 2WD super customs coil sprung.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Lift Shackles for 2WD models    Lift Shackles for 2WD models  Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2023 10:41 pm

Hello ‘thetube’ and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you’re looking in all the right places and you know your onions. I’m not familiar with the LH123V, but it seems similar to my LH119V (albeit 2WD), but probably a super-long wheelbase? Do you have the additional ‘middle window’ of the super-long types? Anyway it seems to be torsion front and leaf rear and with a 3L engine and either manual or auto.

I’ve not long written a fairly long post on manuals, parts and the like, which is in the first post on my ‘show us yours’ section. It might be some use to you and further down is another fairly long post on cooling, which might also have some value.

Anyway, I’ve not racked up my torsion bars to generate a front lift, but plenty of people seem to tolerate a 2” lift, which must necessitate winding them tighter. While working on the front suspension of my van I have wound off the tension in the front torsion bars and it’s not rocket science.

2” lift seems to be viable, and if your van is 2WD there won’t be complications for the front drive shaft angles, but I’d expect the ride to be a bit harsher with more chance of topping out (as opposed to bottoming out). I’ve no idea if normal shocks can accommodate a 2” lift, but I’d expect so.

‘Merlin_’ on here and ‘FixerMerlin’ on YT has done a rear long shackle swap. He’s in BC, Canada (I think) so it might be worth sending him a PM to ask where he got his from? He’s also done a YT vid of a bit of work on the front torsion bars so his channel is also worth a look, before you message him, I’d suggest.

If you need to understand the suspension set up you have I’d say take a look at the links I mention in my post I refer to above and look at the Electronic Parts Catalogue (link over there) for exploded diagrams etc.

You don’t say how much lift you are trying to achieve (and 2” seems tolerable, but I’m not the expert in any sense) but I’m guessing this is why you want to fit longer rear shackles. I might be completely wrong but leaf spring shackles seen a completely commodity item and any decent suspension company that’s familiar with leaf springs might be able to help. In due course I will need new leaf springs and last year I was in touch with Owen Spring (in the UK) and with a couple of calls and confirming a few details they were able to find the 5-leaf springs for my LH119V in their inventory and could confirm they could make and bush these and supply the U-bolts etc. When time comes I’ll be going to them, but they have asked for an original spring from me, which isn’t too much of an issue. The point is they seem to know their stuff and I’d be amazed if they couldn’t make and send you something. Take a look at:

http://www.owensprings.co.uk/

(note, no affiliation and their site is not ‘https’).

Another similar company here is:

https://www.mancuniansprings.com/

But I’d be surprised if there’s no a similar company local to you.

HTH!!

p.s. Just remembered that I saw an oddity on the rear leaf springs on a 2WD Hiace where the leaf spring dynamic damper (part 48370-26010) was fitted to an extension of the shackle rather the spring itself. The vehicle was on the Cars & Bids site, but I didn’t save it. If you have that setup then I’ve no idea.

Last edited by LH119V on Sun May 14, 2023 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : oddity)
Back to top Go down
thetube

Number of posts : 9
Home City : PNW
Registration date : 2023-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Lift Shackles for 2WD models    Lift Shackles for 2WD models  Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 1:45 pm

Thanks for the referencing documents. To keep this page updated I’ll add:

Merlin had purchased through Vanlife Norrhwest. The lift shackles on there seem to suit 4WD models but no guarantee from VNW if they’ll fit so if you are in the area they could take a look at it for fitment. I’ll have to pause this pursuit for now.

In terms of winding up your torsion bar. My front seems to drop lower than the back naturally and weight doesn’t seem to effect this. We’re you having a similar ride offset? Thinking about winding up my front and settling for that at the moment which will give me a good bit of clearance considering the back sits fairly high up for stock. Any advice in regards to winding the torsion bar?

Another note: After seeing Merlin’s YT video the lift shackles and setup underneath look very similar to my rear set up. I’m told this can be deceiving but I’m hopeful.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lift Shackles for 2WD models    Lift Shackles for 2WD models  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lift Shackles for 2WD models
Page 1 of 1