Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

kzh138 4wd hum sound

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ejs

Number of posts : 2
Home City : brisbane qld
Registration date : 2022-11-26

kzh138 4wd hum sound  Empty
PostSubject: kzh138 4wd hum sound    kzh138 4wd hum sound  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2022 4:40 am

2000 model 4wd, above 60km/hr we get a low toned hum that gets louder with speed.
Not a diff whine sound , but more of a dead wheel bearing sound. Same sound regardless of gear, even in neutral rolling alone its the same

Replaced new tires , new wheel bearing. mechanic says diff or transfer case.

Anyone experienced this? or had to remove front diff? is its super difficult?
Shocked
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: kzh138 4wd hum sound    kzh138 4wd hum sound  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2022 11:59 pm

Replaced both front and rear wheel bearings?
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: kzh138 4wd hum sound    kzh138 4wd hum sound  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2022 12:00 am

The other bearing at front that can wear is the rhs driveshaft carrier bearing where it goes through the frame rail.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: kzh138 4wd hum sound    kzh138 4wd hum sound  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2022 12:06 am

Oh and also worth checking transmission and engine mounts. If the rubber is completely gone in mounts you can get resonances rumbling into cab.
Back to top Go down
ejs

Number of posts : 2
Home City : brisbane qld
Registration date : 2022-11-26

PostSubject: Re: kzh138 4wd hum sound    kzh138 4wd hum sound  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2022 5:01 am

thanks for the reply

So wheel bearings have been done, front and rear on left side.
I will check the one on right side, i wasnt aware there was one there
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: kzh138 4wd hum sound    kzh138 4wd hum sound  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2022 8:18 am

Sorry, that reads like you’ve done wheel bearings only on left side. ? The rear bearings on these Hiaces often don’t get done simply because they can be an absolute beast to remove. They can produce noises not normally attributed to wheel bearings. My last one produced a whine exactly like diff whine and only on overrun - exactly like a diff. I put up with it for 5 years assuming absolutely that it was diff. Made absolutely no noise, whirring nor had freeplay when checking by hand with wheel raised.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: kzh138 4wd hum sound    kzh138 4wd hum sound  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2022 8:21 am

Oh yeah, another relatively common potential source of whirring is chain in the transfer case.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: kzh138 4wd hum sound    kzh138 4wd hum sound  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2022 9:11 pm

Pete_nz is spot on here.

Basically anything with a bearing can cause a hum and anything with a fixed support can transmit the sound, as can a failed damping support.

Hopefully you can narrow down the location by moving a passenger about inside the vehicle. A crude stethoscope (arms-length long piece of rubber hose you can press to suspension mounts etc with the other end near your, or someone elses ear) can work. From the driving seat it can be difficult to pin point a noise towards the rear of the van. I had a shot rear engine mount that caused a lot of noise, but only on over run.

Might also be worth getting the van on axle stands and checking all the usual moving parts for play or contact where it should not be. Also check all your fluid levels and for any leaks or parts getting warmer than they should.

Good luck!

p.s. I’ve not removed the front diff, but it’s fairly busy and complicated in that area. In addition to the RHS carrier bearing there are several rubber mounts (called stoppers) for the front diff (and support brackets). These are fitted both sides and front and back of the diff with a lower and upper to each set so 4 lower and 4 upper, plus a dynamic damper (depending on model I think). It’s all covered in the EPC, but this isn’t where I’d start but I would include these when testing all the running gear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: kzh138 4wd hum sound    kzh138 4wd hum sound  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

kzh138 4wd hum sound
Page 1 of 1