Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HIACEAIR CON

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Scamper

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Gloucester
Registration date : 2022-07-21

HIACEAIR CON Empty
PostSubject: HIACEAIR CON   HIACEAIR CON Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 5:15 pm

Hi Can anyone tell me what weight of gas needed to recharge air con in 1988 2.7 Hiace please?!
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 556
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

HIACEAIR CON Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIACEAIR CON   HIACEAIR CON Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 8:05 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Do check the manuals etc on ‘Hiacesoutheast’ and you should also be aware of and make good use of the Toyota Electronic Parts Catalogue. For my van it’s this:
https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/lh119v/114894/

But modify this to the details on the build plate (under the LH front seat).

Most of the A/C is in the 'electrics' section, but cut your teeth elsewhere!

The ‘Hiacesoutheast’ site will help you decode the details on the build plate and a load of other goodies are there, too.

Right, to the AC.

There are answers but it depends on the type of AC you have; front (and rear?) and type of condensers (therefore their volume). Your van should have a sticker, probably RH door jamb (or under LH seat) that states the load, but this is likely for the now banned ‘R12’ Freon refrigerant. If your system is completely empty it’s easy to swap the ports for those suitable for R134 and I’d also replace the system desiccant canister if that’s the case (Part number available on the EPC and can be purchased from the Amayama site the EPC links to or you can head straight there or try Megazip. The canister is also a standard Toyota part and available from the dealership (cultivate a relationship) or non-OEM from Autodoc etc.

If you have any vehicle documentation then the load and type are also there, but probably in Japanese. It’s possible to translate all this via google translate after OCR using whatever computer program you have (many add-on to pdf viewers for example).

Toyota made a big thing of the A/C in their vans and provided the original user with lots of detais and certificates for it.

Basically it’s very likely you will have to do some digging as there are lots of A/C variants.

If your system is not completely empty then you will have to do the research anyway then take this and your van to a good A/C garage who will empty the Freon, change the ports, fit your new desiccant canister and check the system holds a low pressure (vacuum) then fill it to the correct R12 to R134 ratio. A Good garage will also check the running high and low pressures to check it’s working optimally. They should also give you a receipt showing the refrigerant charge, which will be useful in a couple of years’ time! If it doesn’t hold a vacuum they won’t charge it. Most likely failure places if it currently holds some pressure is the compressor = expensive to rebuild or replace.

I think mine takes ~1.4kg R12 (this is a lot) but this is meaningless without knowing how much A/C you have and I’ve no idea how this relates to the amount of R134. Too much and you don’t get the pressure drop between the high and low sides and it’s inefficient. Too little and there’s other inefficiencies and a lack of lubrication in the compressor.

I understand R134 is 'less good' than R12 so a system designed for R12 won't get as cold when charged with R134, but this is fine to do. Modern vehicles designed for R134 have bigger heat exchangers.

HTH
Back to top Go down
Scamper

HIACEAIR CON Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIACEAIR CON   HIACEAIR CON Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 8:38 pm

Wow! Sounds complicated but thank you SO much for your help!
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

HIACEAIR CON Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIACEAIR CON   HIACEAIR CON Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2022 12:54 am

Should be 700g.

If it still had R12 in it you have to get the ester oil out of the system as the new refrigerant uses PAG oil.

They’ve been 700/1300 for years, latter if you have rear AC.

Good Luck,
-Bryan
Back to top Go down
Scamper

HIACEAIR CON Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIACEAIR CON   HIACEAIR CON Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2022 5:08 am

Bryan you absolute star! Thank you.

Sue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HIACEAIR CON Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIACEAIR CON   HIACEAIR CON Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HIACEAIR CON
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing) :: Members guides to fixing problems :: Members guides to fixing problems-
Jump to: