Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

240v conversion

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi
My van is a 3.0DT poptop Cruising Cabin camper like the one pictured, not a "super custom" but I'm guessing maybe some of you can help if you have a 240v wired camper.
240v conversion 832a_4

My van has the original fridge/sink/hob side unit with12v leisure battery power panel. There's a 100v Jap spec. hook up inlet in the hatch along the side of the van where the battery lives. I want to keep the 12v leisure system but scrap the 100v system and install 240v UK power. Here's what I think I need but I want suggestions if this sound wrong.!
A 16amp blue 3pin socket (for UK/euro campsites) in the hatch, wired inside to a small (garage type) RCD consumer unit and earthed to the van.
One 240v power socket inside.

Also a battery charger (wired from the consumer unit) to keep the battery charged when using the mains hookup. This will help keep 12v fridge and lights running.

I will also include a small 12/240v inverter so wife can use hair straighteners (essential apparently??) if camping wild.

Any thoughts?????

thanks
Al
Back to top Go down
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

Number of posts : 188
Home City : paisley
Model and year : VW TRANSPORTER T5 LWB poptop camper
Registration date : 2007-11-17

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 7:42 am

I'll try and take some picks of what i've got fitted and where it is.... unfortunately unlike your van I dont have the small external compartment for the leisure battery ... mine is hidden somewhere inside ... I think I know where but I still haven't discovered it yet... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 7:45 am

By the way... hows your gas supply for your cooker stored ...? do you have the fitment which holds the two campingaz canisters...?
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 9:06 am

No gas here. It's just got a single hob with one of those disposable cannisters. I'm happy enough with that for now because I've just moved from the car-and-tent scene and hope to keep using my double burner coleman petrol stove outside or under an awning.
Thanks for your reply.
AL
Back to top Go down
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 12:11 pm

the reason I mention the gas is mine came with a strange little device that held two campingaz disposable cannisters but when I recently tried to renew them I discoverd they're only available in japan although they appear exactly like the european version ...so being limited for space I'm in the process of converting it to run from a campingaz 901 refillable cylinder...... have you renewed your disposable cannister yet.... a bad time to discover your in the same predicament as me would be on a campsite late at night...from memory the jap one is a cv- 450 and the euro one is a cv-470...
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 4:29 pm

These cannisters seem to be available okay but not done a detailed check on code numbers and so on. The previous owner gave me a few spares with the van and I've not used them yet. This type of hob is very similar to some of those found in camping stores or even Lidl/Aldi type shops. The cannister lies on its side with a curved lid over it attached to the hob bit. They look like the blow torch type but with a different connector.
AL
Back to top Go down
gsxr-jonesy

Number of posts : 16
Home City : surbiton
Model and year : 92 Camper
Registration date : 2008-04-02

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 5:03 pm

hi there

i'm in the same position - i have the weird little twin-cradle with the japanese 450 cannisters, and also trired to replace them to no avail
i'd occaisonally like to run my fridge off gas, but i can't fit a bigger bottle into my camper, due to the design. if anyone has found a solution to this, or an alternative cradle to use 470 cannisters, that would be a real help.

also, when the fridge is running off gas (from the current 450 cannisters which still have a bit left in them), i need to keep the 12v switch in the roof on, otherwise the gas goes off. i'd have thought i only needed the 12v to ignite the gas, rather than leaving it on, which takes power from the leisure battery, eventually killing it. am i doing something wrong?

thanks

nick
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi
My hob looks its the original Japanese fitting with all the jap writing on it.
The gas (butane) cannister on mine doesn't say anything like 450 or 470. The top of it looks a bit like an aerosol can with the spray button taken off. Its got a male type push fitting and a collar with a gap that mates up with the hob. The cannisters are called Sunn Gas P220. Code SG1220 and made in Korea but distributor is in Essex and it says Sunnflair Ltd, .. blah, blah..., Chelmsford, so they aren't unique to Japan. There are numbers UN2037 and an E number 520. As far as I know my fridge is 12v only. It runs from the leisure battery and I intend to use a mains charger via a hookup to keep it running at a camp site.
Al
Al
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 8:22 pm

Good stuff...
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 3:38 pm

Quote :
i'm in the same position - i have the weird little twin-cradle with the japanese 450 cannisters, and also trired to replace them to no avail
i'd occaisonally like to run my fridge off gas, but i can't fit a bigger bottle into my camper, due to the design. if anyone has found a solution to this, or an alternative cradle to use 470 cannisters, that would be a real help.

I've been round various camping shops with 450 cannisters and nothing ..so I'm gonna change over to a refillable campingaz 901 cannister... these are the smallest of the campingaz re-usable cyllinders and I reckon I can squeeze one in.... hopefully it will be just be a case of removing the cradle and fitting a regulator ... though it may require fitting a new hose as well...I plan to carry a couple of the 901s so's to have a spair.... ideally I'd preffer the 907 cannister but I dont believe I'd be able to fit one in .... I have thought about buying and fitting an external waist water tank from cak tanks to free up space for a larger cyllinder ... but thats a longer term plan...
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 9:55 pm

Just realised I've helped hi-jack my own 240v thread and turn it into one about gas! [/u]
Back to top Go down
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

Number of posts : 200
Home City : Taunton, Somerset UK
Registration date : 2007-02-06

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 11:14 pm

With regards to the 240V posting Laughing , if you read a post I put on tonight, it may help or not Smile. Cannot be arsed to type it all out again Laughing.

The only exception is the modification to the 12v distribution part, but that's a piece if cake!!
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks spud, I've read it. Very informative. A lt more to batteries and chargers than meets the eye.
Al
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

240v conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 240v conversion   240v conversion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

240v conversion
Page 1 of 1