Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replacement Panel.

Go down 
+2
GPW
toyboy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Number of posts : 38
Home City : London
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Custom 4x4
Cruising Cabin 1994
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi Guys
Just managed to dent the rear nearside quarter panel of my beloved "Matilda" Toyota's Own 1984 produced Hi Ace Camper van (LH119).

Anyone know where i might get a replacement panel?..cost? etc.

Maybe a recommendation for a garage in the east London/Essex area that might carry out the repair would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

PS I Love my Van.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2019 8:30 pm

toyboy wrote:
Hi Guys
Just managed to dent the rear nearside quarter panel of my beloved "Matilda" Toyota's Own 1984 produced Hi Ace Camper van (LH119).

Anyone know where i might get a replacement panel?..cost? etc.

Maybe a recommendation for a garage in the east London/Essex area that might carry out the repair would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

PS I Love my Van.

Have you talked to a body-shop first? Most dents can be pushed back out rather than cut out and re-welded.
With the internal side panels off there's not much of the van body that is not accessible.
Back to top Go down
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Cruising Cabin 1994

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Hello

Thanks for the response.
Yes i have been to two local body shops, one quoted £500 inc vat to replace/paint a panel the other quoted £325 + vat.
Similar prices i think and both seem fairly cheap to me but i have no real Knowledge of this kind of repair, do you think they seem reasonable, could i source a panel myself for a better price?
Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 10:39 pm

Not sure, £500 is 10 hours at £50 per hour. The garage up the road from me charge £90 so that's 5.5 hours work, less if you allow money for the panel, welding wire and gas, primer, rust proofing and paint. So it doesn't seem unreasonable if they do a good job.

I think you'll have to chat with them and see what work they have going on and if you think you can trust them as people. Google the names of their companies to check for an comments too.

Back to top Go down
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Cruising Cabin 1994

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 6:20 pm

Hi
Thanks for your input, i have now found a guy who tells me he has a machine that can "pull out" the dents, i totally trust this fella as he's based very close to and knows the mechanic who deals with my mot/service and DPF certificate, same kinda price but no hacking off a panel/welding etc.

Thanks again.

Your van looks in good nick in your photo.....nice.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 10:23 pm

Yes probably better pushed out and re-finished if you can.

Thanks, I imported direct from Japan and the site (Car From Japan) had lots of photos underneath, it's very clean. Had to catch up a lot of servicing though!
Back to top Go down
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Cruising Cabin 1994

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2019 2:24 pm

Cool.
And thanks again for your input.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 9:00 am

What is a DPF certificate, never heard of it please enlighten me.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 9:42 am

JT69 wrote:
What is a DPF certificate, never heard of it please enlighten me.

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter

As Toyboy is in London he would have had an aftermarket DPF filter system added to clean up the exhaust. The certificate would be to convince the London council and DVLA that it was now compliant.

Good idea really, it would be interesting to know how much it costs to retrofit.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 11:05 am

I put my number into the London emission zone web site the reply was this vehicle complies or does not need to comply.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 11:17 am

Further to low emissions zoneP413DHG
White TOYOTA HIACE
Edit
No charge due for this vehicle
This vehicle either meets the required emission standards, is exempt from the scheme or is subject to a 100% discount.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 11:50 am

Interesting, I can't even drive my Peugeot 1.9TD into London according to the rules, let alone my Hiace!

I wonder if yours is classed as a bus or camper that is exempt?
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2019 12:46 pm

I queried about LEZ compliance on here before and apparently if your van was imported after a certain date then it's regarded as 'young enough' to be allowed in the Low emission zone. Bit of a bugger as mine isn't. It's only been an irritant once thus far.
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Cruising Cabin 1994

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2019 2:01 pm

Just to "clear the air" as it were i have a DPF fitted to my 1994 2.8 Toyota Hi Ace Motor Caravan "Matilda".

Total cost supplied and fitted £2200.!!

It was supplied by Clean Diesel Technologies and fitted by a local mechanic who carries out the yearly service and takes her to the test centre to obtain the LEZ certificate.

This filter (exhaust system) has been fitted for some years now (2012) and i fear that at some point she will fail the test so if anybody out there has experience of this or can suggest a way of clearing a blocked Clean Diesel Technologies Diesel Particulate Filter i would like to hear from you.

Sensible suggestions only please.

I love my van.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Sounds like a neat attachment, it's expensive and inconvenient but rather less so than lung cancer and also means one can enjoy non-euro6 stuff with the benefits of clean air.
Personally I hate diesel smoke anyway and have noticed a huge improvement after the DPF came into the cars on the road via euro6.

As for maintenance I suspect you answered your own question as surely the best people to ask are Clean Diesel Technologies and your local mechanic Very Happy

Back to top Go down
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Cruising Cabin 1994

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 11:40 am

Yes i'm sure your right.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while
milkman

Number of posts : 129
Home City : london
Model and year : LH113V 1992 Composer
Registration date : 2010-06-15

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 11:07 am

I also run a van in London with a Clean Diesel Tech DPF. I usually get it tested at Boleyn Service and recovery in 77 River Rd, Barking IG11 0DS.

Ours hasn’t needed it yet but they have an oven for cleaning the DPF. Normal hot running of the engine such as motorway driving should clean it but if not the filter is removed and baked for a time.

Boleyn fit out all sorts of stuff from airport fire engines down to our vans so far they've been okay.

As to the descrepancy for filters on the DVLA check site, I think its to do with how the van was registered on import.
Ours was registered by some numb nuts as a light van/goods because thats cheaper. Would have saved us a lot of cash had they gone down the camper route.

Sadly the ULEZ in 2021 will sound the death knell for our time with this van as further mods aren’t possible as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 6:18 pm

milkman wrote:
Ours was registered by some numb nuts as a light van/goods because thats cheaper. Would have saved us a lot of cash had they gone down the camper route.

In the UK you are free to re-register / declare it a camper any time with the DVLA, a process I'll be doing with my MPV when the camper conversion is complete. It's pretty straightforward and done by lots of home converters, details are online from the government website.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 10:24 pm

Also very necessary as if it is a camper and is registered as something else, in the unfortunate event of needing to claim on your insurance the company will gleefully tell you that it is not covered because incorrect information was provided when taking out the policy and / or it was not being used for its correct purpose. We found our van was not registered as a camper so we quickly had that corrected and made sure the insurance company was informed. Our rules probably differ, but insurance companies don't; their sole desire is to avoid paying anything.
Back to top Go down
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Cruising Cabin 1994

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 3:59 pm

milkman wrote:
I also run a van in London with a Clean Diesel Tech DPF. I usually get it tested at Boleyn Service and recovery in 77 River Rd, Barking IG11 0DS.

Ours hasn’t needed it yet but they have an oven for cleaning the DPF. Normal hot running of the engine such as motorway driving should clean it but if not the filter is removed and baked for a time.

Boleyn fit out all sorts of stuff from airport fire engines down to our vans so far they've been okay.

As to the descrepancy for filters on the DVLA check site, I think its to do with how the van was registered on import.

Sadly the ULEZ in 2021 will sound the death knell for our time with this van as further mods aren’t possible as far as I know.

Thanks for the info i'm near to River Rd so i might pop in for a chat with them.
I'm seriously hoping that some company out there will produce a filter that can be fitted before the 2021 rules kick in.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 1:27 pm

I'm thinking I might swap out my 2.8 diesel for a petrol if they keep going with the demonisation of diesel. It'll get up hills a lot quicker as a petrol. I think it'd be worth the faff as I love my van.
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
Sponsored content

Replacement Panel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Panel.   Replacement Panel. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacement Panel.
Page 1 of 1