Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can anybody identify this electrical component

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

Number of posts : 87
Home City : Manchester, UK
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom
2.44L EFi Turbo Diesel Automatic LH100G
Registration date : 2018-08-13

Can anybody identify this electrical component Empty
PostSubject: Can anybody identify this electrical component   Can anybody identify this electrical component Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 am

Its mounted alongside the battery, under the passenger seat.

It says "DIAGNOSIS" on the cover and appears to have completely burnt out.

Cant figure out how to remove it either, grateful for any advice.

Can anybody identify this electrical component <a href=Can anybody identify this electrical component 20181010" />

Can anybody identify this electrical component <a href=Can anybody identify this electrical component 20181011" />
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody identify this electrical component   Can anybody identify this electrical component Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2018 11:20 am

Wow, that appears to be completely covered in salt!!!

It looks like the ODB2 ECU disgnostics port to me, it's just a plain connector. Mine is below the glovebox on the LHS near the passenger's feet, unusual to see it there.

That's also the area where the glowplug relay and various other quite important things lve so I suggest you remove the battery, the battery tray and clean up the entire area to get rid of any more salt.

I.e. - take that bigger cover off too, take some photos and make sure that's also cleaned thoroughly inside.
Finish up with something that will protect against traces of salt, like oil.
Back to top Go down
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody identify this electrical component   Can anybody identify this electrical component Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 2:00 pm

GPW wrote:
Wow, that appears to be completely covered in salt!!!

It looks like the ODB2 ECU disgnostics port to me, it's just a plain connector. Mine is below the glovebox on the LHS near the passenger's feet, unusual to see it there.

That's also the area where the glowplug relay and various other quite important things lve so I suggest you remove the battery, the battery tray and clean up the entire area to get rid of any more salt.

I.e. - take that bigger cover off too, take some photos and make sure that's also cleaned thoroughly inside.
Finish up with something that will protect against traces of salt, like oil.

Replaced the battery and while doing so had a good nosey around.

Everything else is clean as a whistle, the port appears to have burned out. Qite how I can't be sure.

Problem is that there is no evident way to replace it as it appears to be wired directly into the loom. Not comfortable cutting into that.

Bit stuck now, other than booking it into an auto-electricians.

On the plus-side I have done a semi-permanent install of a CTEK MSX-5 which has all gone swimmingly, so it intelligently trickle charges/manages the battery when using the EHU whether at home or on a site.

Question is... Could I tandem this with a leisure battery and a self switch-relay ?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody identify this electrical component   Can anybody identify this electrical component Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 pm

Are you sure that is burned out?

It's covered in a whitish deposit all over the top. There's no power there to burn it out either, it's just an ECU diagnostic port and the ECU is fused.

Not sure about leisure batteries, a relay for charging should do the trick but will steal current.
Back to top Go down
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody identify this electrical component   Can anybody identify this electrical component Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 3:59 pm

GPW wrote:
Are you sure that is burned out?

It's covered in a whitish deposit all over the top. There's no power there to burn it out either, it's just an ECU diagnostic port and the ECU is fused.

Not sure about leisure batteries, a relay for charging should do the trick but will steal current.

Covered in a black oily deposit which I usually associate with burnt out electronic components. At least those that have been potted/encapsulated.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody identify this electrical component   Can anybody identify this electrical component Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 4:34 pm

Not sooty then? I'd expect soot if it was overloaded, not grease.
Maybe someone just covered it with White Grease or similar waterproof grease?

First I'd try a bit of WD40 and a wipe to see if it cleans up, or get some 6.3mm spades and see if they plug in ok.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody identify this electrical component   Can anybody identify this electrical component Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Do I have a diagnostic port on my 2.8litre non-turbo diesel? I went hunting in the passenger foot well but didn't have much luck unless it's hidden under something else?
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody identify this electrical component   Can anybody identify this electrical component Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2018 4:39 pm

GPW wrote:
Not sooty then? I'd expect soot if it was overloaded, not grease.
Maybe someone just covered it with White Grease or similar waterproof grease?

First I'd try a bit of WD40 and a wipe to see if it cleans up, or get some 6.3mm spades and see if they plug in ok.

Closer examination and a bit of cleaning with WD40 and I now pretty sure it was some form of protective grease.

Anybody tried one of those bluetooth plug-in gizmos that allow you to receive the readings from this to your phone ?

What is the spec. of the plug for this sockets as I have been unsuccessful finding something that precisely matches the port ?

... Appears it could actually be an ODB1 port similar to this found online.

Can anybody identify this electrical component Obd110
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody identify this electrical component   Can anybody identify this electrical component Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can anybody identify this electrical component
Page 1 of 1