Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cruising cabin

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mowerman

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Northampton
Registration date : 2018-05-07

Cruising cabin Empty
PostSubject: Cruising cabin   Cruising cabin Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi all, just in the process of buying a 1994 4 wd LH119 cruising cabin, it's an import that is being UK registered before I pick it up.
Really looking forward to setting it up for camping and green laning, will be much more roomy than the Landrover!
Anyway should get it within the next couple of weeks.
Back to top Go down
Mowerman

Cruising cabin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin   Cruising cabin Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 10:33 pm

I'll also add that it's a 3.0 engine 2.8 deisel,
And I plan a few mods to help it off road,
Snorkel, suspension lift, discreet winch mount somehow, bull bar mount somehow, rear spare wheel carrier (learned on here about using one off a hilux surf), another set of wheels/ tyres (a mate has a set of 16s off a LC I think will go straight on) a rear camera, fit my Foxwing awning (roll out awning will bE up for grabs)  add some lights front and back, change the mirrors I think for the door mounted H100 style and finally - perhaps most importantly for me- fit a tow bar.
The last thing is causing me the most headaches at the moment, trying to find an off the shelf unit seems quite tricky.
Oh, and fit the Eberspacher unit currently being used to heat our roof tent
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

Cruising cabin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin   Cruising cabin Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 9:41 am

Hi Mowerman, I have a LH118 with a lot of your list done.
LH119 is 2.8 liter diesel (engine code 3L)

The snorkel you can buy with the part number, but please note that it makes extra noise (only solvable by adding a turbo Razz )
Which set of wheels with tyre size? I have 225/75R16 on Landcruiser 60 steel rims (ET0 or so) and that only fit with modifications to front wheel arch, because otherwise you can't steer.

I'm also not a huge fan of the spare wheel carrier on the rear body, IF you are going to putt on a heavy full size spare of a bigger tyre size with a steel rim. That is much heavier. Not a problem for a campervan which does only some holidays but with a lot of driving the load on the sheet material may be too much.
I have a rear bumper on the tow bar/hitch frame, which comes with a swing out tyre carriers, but that is all custom made.

But with all the modifications, it is as capable as an unmodified Defender or Landcruiser. Usually a bit slower, but it really goes anywhere.
Mine even came with a factory LSD.

Bullbar will have to be attached to the chassis-like beams running behind the front bumper. Again a bit custom work.

You can checkout the side of Hiacehobo, he also has a LH119 with same modifications. I based my modifications partly on the info on his site.
http://www.hiacehobo.com/2013/10/toyota-hiace-super-custom-4wd-2.html
Back to top Go down
Mowerman

Cruising cabin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin   Cruising cabin Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks for your reply, I've seen the photos of your bumper mounted spare, with your hiace being the only barn door I've ever seen! Smile
I saw the post on here about the Surf spare wheel carrier and he mentioned the need to fit strengthening steel panels on the insides, plus the door clip with prevent movement. I'd rather not do anything but it does impede departure angles, and the tow bar will serve to prevent rear bumper damage.
I'm struggling with a tow bar anyway, may end up fabricating one
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

Cruising cabin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin   Cruising cabin Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 1:35 pm

This one?

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Towbar-for-Toyota-HiAce-Van-1990-1996-Flange-Tow-Bar/280700571737?hash=item415b0ed059:g:lQUAAOSwBahVJ-2v

Check if it includes everything.
Back to top Go down
Mowerman

Cruising cabin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin   Cruising cabin Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks for that, I'll have a look under the van when I get it and go from there
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cruising cabin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruising cabin   Cruising cabin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cruising cabin
Page 1 of 1