Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jus4

Number of posts : 6
Home City : Joensuu
Registration date : 2018-03-05

Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off Empty
PostSubject: Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off   Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 4:35 pm

Hey, some problems with my Hiace 97

I noticed the issue when suddenly some of the warning lights on the dashboard didn't turn off. The dashboard is slowing warnings on battery/break system/oil level all yellow except the battery. I didn't mind because I know that everything is fine with the battery etc. But the noticed that head lights wont turn on except when I turn the switch. Also the register plate light is down too. So the head lamps work but the connections wore quite dirty.

Whats the best place to start looking the problem? I read something that theres some relay that automatically turns on the some of the lights, but Im not sure if my Hiace 97 has it?

I wonder if there is some chart/info what could tell why the warning lights wont turn off?

Also while driving the warning lights turned off all the sudden and I guess the normal parking lights started to work again.

Any helps is appreciated.
I'm quite new car user and trying to learn stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off   Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 5:51 pm

I'd certainly check every single fuse (near your left foot) before anything else.
With a good torch you may be able to see if they are OK, else test with a meter.
Back to top Go down
Jus4

PostSubject: Re: Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off   Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 pm

I checked all the fuses by sight also the one in the engine. Might do it again just to be sure Smile

The connector to the front lights look quite bad. Although the lights work when I turn the switch (But they don't work when I start the car). Could they affect somehow? I might try to replace them anyways because they wore filled with dirt & crap.

I live in Finland and its quite cold outside -20 that could effect also?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off   Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 8:53 pm

Ah OK. Sounds like a very weird issue affecting multiple things....
.... so it might be a ground fault.

I'd check the lighting grounds with a meter, maybe a connection to ground is corroded somewhere. Without a ground you tend to get one item feeding another and thus the type of issue you describe. Check where the headlights are grounded.

Sounds cold there at -20 - bbbrrrrr!!!

ETA, found some diagrams on the net if that helps!
rg.to/file/f6c66d3ef455409051419b27d08b182f/Electrical_RHD.zip.html
Back to top Go down
Jus4

PostSubject: Re: Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off   Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2018 6:32 pm

I will do more digging in the week end.

Thanks for the advice anyways, I try to work it out Smile
Back to top Go down
Jus4

PostSubject: Re: Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off   Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 5:32 am

It seem the issue is a bad alternator.. Im getting a christmas light (found a hint on this forum http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?90-Change-your-alternator-ILLUSTRATED!) effect on the dash and the wan totally drained my battery and won't start... Its actually amazing how far you can drive with a bad alternator, I guess the engine keeps on running for ages but other electronics fail.

Have to check if its a loose belt or just bad alternator.. I guess its quite easy to replace? I need the change the timing belt also (which I'm afraid to do by my self, so have to go to the dealers) so might do it at the same time if its not very costly.

Anyways, just wanted to reply here if someone is having a weird chrtistmas light effect on the dashboard + some light problems might be bad alternator or something related to that.

Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off   Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 8:30 am

I had a similar issue caused by a bad ground, as GPW says above. In my case the ground connector on the charge splitter had broken off. If you have a leisure battery then check the connections to it before you pull the alternator...
Mine was mounted under the van behind the driver's seat, so quite exposed.
It did give me an excuse to upgrade from a diode splitter to a MOSFET charge splitter, though!

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off   Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 10:21 am

If the alternator is not charging the van's battery voltage will tell you easily.

Use a multimeter on the 20V setting.
An idle battery will be around 12-13.2 Volts.
A charging (alternator working) battery will have a voltage rising to 14.2V
A draining batter (alternator failed but still powering the ECU etc) will have a voltage of 13V or below.

Also if you put the headlamps on and get someone to switch off the motor while you are looking, the headlamps will dim slightly as the engine stops - if the alternator is working.

Also check the engine to body earth cable is good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off   Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parking lights not working & warning lights won't turn off
Page 1 of 1