Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear springs or shocks.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chiefster1976
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 29
Home City : Brisbane.
Registration date : 2017-12-21

Rear springs or shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Rear springs or shocks.   Rear springs or shocks. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 7:24 am

Hi all.  I am adding some 65kg adventure kings draws and a 60 litre  kings fridge and a second battery in the back of the hiace SC.
ALREADY HAVE THE adventure kings roof top tent and roof cage added.  
 She is sat a little low in the rear and wondering if I should just crank down the front torsion bars to equal out the weight or purchase new springs at the Rear?
 Which springs fit and what weight rating should I go for?
Not sure about bothering with shocks.
 It's just to hold the weight better in the rear .
Back to top Go down
Chiefster1976
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Rear springs or shocks.   Rear springs or shocks. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2018 8:04 am

BUMP BUMP..🤗
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Rear springs or shocks.   Rear springs or shocks. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 am

Well, how does it drive? And do you have coil springs or leaf springs?

Getting the torsion suspension down to equal it is the easiest and cheapest solution, but then it is lower and maybe drive with to soft suspension?

Perhaps you could unmount a shock absorber to test how it is doing.

An alternative, if you cannot find anything, is air suspension.
Back to top Go down
Chiefster1976
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Rear springs or shocks.   Rear springs or shocks. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2018 8:39 pm

It drives fine. Just I guess with rear springs in it since 95 it's bound to sag with any weight. Now with running an extra 200 kgs in the rear I will need thicker coil springs. Want to keep ride height standard .
Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

Number of posts : 28
Home City : Vancouver BC Canada
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom
3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
30" x 9.50-15 BFG All Terrain tires
4 man Roof Top Tent
Registration date : 2016-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Rear springs or shocks.   Rear springs or shocks. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2018 9:19 pm

With my Hiace SuperCustom 1991 - also with rear coils, I added a 1.5" thick aluminum space under each rear coil. A simple spacer that I machined with a lip to mate with the underside of the coil. That raised it a bit. To stiffen it a little, I cheated and added 4 rings of rubber coil inserts that can be fed in between coils one at a time if you raise the rear of the Hiace by lifting the body and letting the rear axle sink. This effectively stiffened up the rear a little. I know it's cheating but it works well for me.
I also added much beefier aftermarket ProComp brand shock absorbers all around.
Cheers, Roman
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Rear springs or shocks.   Rear springs or shocks. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 7:32 am

Chiefster1976 wrote:
It drives fine. Just I guess with rear springs in it since 95 it's bound to sag with any weight. Now with running an extra 200 kgs in the rear I will need thicker coil springs. Want to keep ride height standard .

It's a van with a one tonne payload? Maybe a little less if you have a lightweight version...

Why bother,? It's designed to carry a lot more weight than you are adding.

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
Chiefster1976
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Rear springs or shocks.   Rear springs or shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Thanks for the answer so far.

Last edited by Chiefster1976 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chiefster1976
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Rear springs or shocks.   Rear springs or shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Because after adding 65kgs of drawers in the back and let's say a 25kgs fridge( empty ) and a roof rack and a roof top tent with 1995 springs she's on her arse... I cannot even retrieve the rear spare wheel as it won't come out the carrier the van is that low. Lol I had to Jack the rear up to get the thing out.
This is before the fridge is filled and the drawers are filled and an auxiliary battery added.  
  Your not going to get a one tonne pay load on 1995 old springs without it being on it's arse.. 23 years on the can they have done
Pretty well.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Rear springs or shocks.   Rear springs or shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 pm

I have a theory that Rav4 springs fit. They may not, but they are cheap and may be worth a try, also they come in lots of different ride heights etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear springs or shocks.   Rear springs or shocks. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear springs or shocks.
Page 1 of 1