Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thermostat stuck open?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LiamM
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 1992 Super custom limited
3L
Registration date : 2017-01-22

Thermostat stuck open? Empty
PostSubject: Thermostat stuck open?   Thermostat stuck open? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 am

Hey folks,

I noticed last winter that my Hiace would never reach the mid engine temp mark in the cold. I'm in Vancouver so it wouldn't go below freezing often but still struggled to make it over 3-4 of the digital bars on the dash engine temp indicator. Wasn't getting much heat out of the vents.

Anyone experienced this? The same condition is starting again this winter. Seems like my thermostat is stuck open or something Question
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat stuck open?   Thermostat stuck open? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2017 7:40 am

yep, when I first got my van it was very slow to reach temperature and would often loose engine temperature easily.

Replaced the thermostat and it has warmed quickly and been stable in the middle of the gauge (old style gauge) ever since.

Thermostat looked okay but I never bothered to test it, guess spring was weak and it was opening too easily.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat stuck open?   Thermostat stuck open? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2017 7:50 am

Yeah replace thermostat, and throw the old one away.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat stuck open?   Thermostat stuck open? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2017 12:59 pm

TwentyOneThirtyFive wrote:
Thermostat looked okay but I never bothered to test it, guess spring was weak and it was opening too easily.

I never understood testing thermostats unless to verify a diagnosis, after all the effort of getting the old one out only a new one is ever going back in for me too Smile
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat stuck open?   Thermostat stuck open? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2017 8:49 am

@GPW, in general I agree, but sometimes you cannot reproduce the issue at the time of replacement.
Lets say your back in the UK, wanting to replace the thermostat because somewhere in Spain it was getting hot on a steep mountain. Than it could be useful to see if it was the thermostat.

But typically speaking, you have some kind of issue that is easy to reproduce. Like the topic starter. The van isn't getting warm, replace thermostat and go for a drive to know it is resolved.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat stuck open?   Thermostat stuck open? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2017 9:28 am

Hiace4wd wrote:
Than it could be useful to see if it was the thermostat.

Yes I'd test for diagnosis, but I'd never put it back in unless I was stuck without a new one and the old one was not jammed shut Smile
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat stuck open?   Thermostat stuck open? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2017 9:32 am

Yes I agree.

By the way, if you are on the road (holiday roadtrip) having problems and you can't get a thermostat, then you can simply run without a thermostat. On a summer holiday, this will be fine.
In colder winter times, you could put some cardboard in front the radiator (partially at first), but you have to be careful as it can overheat quite quickly.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat stuck open?   Thermostat stuck open? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Have looked at my thermostat houseing a couple of times with a view to changeing it as matter of prevention (its 21 years old and probably original) mine is a 3ltr turbo and its no easy job, it will have to wait till I pluck up courage to dive in.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat stuck open?   Thermostat stuck open? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2017 3:30 pm

JT69 wrote:
Have looked at my thermostat houseing a couple of times with a view to changeing it as matter of prevention (its 21 years old and probably original) mine is a 3ltr turbo and its no easy job, it will have to wait till I pluck up courage to dive in.

I'll probably wait until the timing belt and then change the belt, water pump, coolant and thermostat all at the same time.
BTW don't lets cats near any coolant, it's lethal for them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat stuck open?   Thermostat stuck open? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thermostat stuck open?
Page 1 of 1