Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Advice on 2.4 petrol or 2.8 diesel

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
swookimin

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2017-08-30

Advice on 2.4 petrol or 2.8 diesel Empty
PostSubject: Advice on 2.4 petrol or 2.8 diesel   Advice on 2.4 petrol or 2.8 diesel Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 6:59 am

Hi everyone,
I'm looking at getting a super custom and I have read that some people say to steer clear of the 2.4 engines, as they are known for having over heating and cracked head issues? How common is this? i guess it is fairly common since I have read it from a few different sources. And do they have any other common problems? I'm in Australia so I don't want it overheating on me in summer.

I have seen a couple of 2.4 petrol super customs for sale but I'm thinking maybe I should wait until a 3 litre diesel comes up?
Any advice from owners of either engines would be great!
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Advice on 2.4 petrol or 2.8 diesel   Advice on 2.4 petrol or 2.8 diesel Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 10:30 am

Well, I have the 2.4 diesel (which is the same as the 2.8 diesel, except size). I'm quite annoyed about the noise it makes, even though I already put some sound insulation in it. But this is more an issue for long trips. I wouldn't mind having the petrol because of that. Al though, to be honest, I don't know how much noise the petrol engine makes because we almost don't have it here. And I guess the petrols have more power, unless you are comparing to 2.4 turbodiesel and 3.0 turbodiesel.

The 2.4 and 2.8 diesels can overheat, but I'm not sure why. Perhaps just poor maintenance?

I can go up the mountain on a highway, full throttle with our loaded campervan, in 40 degrees Celcius, and it does not overheat at all (even though new cars and even trucks sometimes had issues with the heat).
However, I suppose it can go downhill pretty quickly when some components start failing. When you buy the diesel I think it would be best to flush the coolant system a couple of times. Possibly changing thermostat and the cap. And check if you can sometimes hear the Visco fan come on under load (driving up climbing highway or so)
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Advice on 2.4 petrol or 2.8 diesel   Advice on 2.4 petrol or 2.8 diesel Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 12:33 am

My only experience is with the 2.8 diesel (non turbo). I did have an issue with overheating but this was cured by replacing the radiator. Put that down to poor maintenance in it's past life in Japan. Possibly mixing red and green coolants. Since the replacement there has never been a problem in summer including long trips from Qld to central Vic.
It will sit all day at 110km/h on the flat (where legal) but will loose speed rapidly on any sort of a climb. I mentioned to my Toyota serviceman that I perhaps should have gone for a 3litre turbo but he said they haven't proved as reliable as the 2.8. Apparently they aren't the same engine as that in the Prado (my other vehicle).
Fuel consumption on the diesel averages around 11l/100km but varies a lot with conditions. My fuel tank is only 65 litres and I've had the range vary from 450km to almost 600km. The low end is a bit uncomfortable on long runs. Petrol engines usually have higher fuel consumption so that my be something to watch, if they have the same fuel tank size.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on 2.4 petrol or 2.8 diesel   Advice on 2.4 petrol or 2.8 diesel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice on 2.4 petrol or 2.8 diesel
Page 1 of 1