Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
HiaceInTheUS

Number of posts : 6
Home City : Park City
Model and year : 1991 Toyota Hiace Van - RZH112R-RBMRSW
Registration date : 2017-07-18

How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace?? Empty
PostSubject: How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace??   How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace?? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2017 3:42 am

I just recently purchased a 91 Hiace, 2wd, 2.0, 4cyl, RHD and I live in the US. As you can imagine, parts are hard to source here. I have a set of R15 wheels that are 7" wide. I want to put 205 70 R15 Geolandars on these wheels but I am not sure they are going to clear the fenders and suspension components.  I know the current setup is 185 R14 C rated tires with 5.5" wide wheels. I found one spot that told me this tire size is fine but couldn't get any beta on the maximum width of the wheel. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
HiaceInTheUS

Number of posts : 6
Home City : Park City
Model and year : 1991 Toyota Hiace Van - RZH112R-RBMRSW
Registration date : 2017-07-18

PostSubject: Re: How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace??   How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace?? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2017 12:42 am

In case anyone is wondering, I pretty much found the max size tire I could fit on my 91 Hiace. A really weird tire size. It is a General Grabber AT 2 size 27x8.5 R14... It is a sweet All Terrain tire at a reasonable price. It leaves about a 1/2 inch gap between my control arm and the tire at full turn. Should be good though.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace??   How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace?? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 10:45 am

Hi welcome!

That could well be the max tire size (without cutting the body), but I'm not sure why you state that that is the maximum?
Also, some people are looking for wider tires and/or wider rims.
Next to that, it would at least depend on the ET value of the rim, so it would be good if you can share that.

I'm running 225/75R16, that is a 29.3 inch tire, but that is only possible because of cutting around near the front wheels. This is with ET value of zero. And still sometimes it hits the body in the front, with a big hole for example.
The rear wheel arches are actually fine with this tire size, although they are seriously filled. And if the van is sitting low, it may hit the body. This is typically not an issue with the 4wd versions as they are sitting higher.
Also with this setup the sliding doors can just pass the tires with very little clearance.
Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

Number of posts : 28
Home City : Vancouver BC Canada
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom
3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
30" x 9.50-15 BFG All Terrain tires
4 man Roof Top Tent
Registration date : 2016-04-15

PostSubject: Re: How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace??   How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace?? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 pm

My 30" x 9.50-15 BF Goodrich AT KO tires are about as big as I could fit without getting too crazy.
I did the standard body sheet metal modifications to the rear side of the front fender well which removed about a 1-1/2" wide arc with a zip disc. I also trimmed the front edge a little. The torque arms were cranked up as far as I felt comfortable - about 15 turns if I remember correctly. I also machined some aluminum spacers for under the rear coils - 1-1/2" lift this way.
I did have to remove the plastic water trap container that is part of the OEM air box assembly to make it all fit. That might be the only negative in my opinion.

The wheels are the common aluminum alloy wheels that 1991 4Runners came with. I'll have to look up the offset.

Having done all that I do get a decent rub when opening the sliding door. It doesn't bother me. You just have to give it a slightly harder pull to get the sliding door open. Doesn't seem to me to be causing any serious harm.

Cheers, Roman
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Re: How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace??   How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace?? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 8:28 pm

How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace?? DSC_0530

mine with 7.5x16 et25 Lenso BSX alloys, front tyres are 225/50x16 and rear 225/55x16

its sitting on the front lower bumpstops in this photo as I haven't had chance to cut it down so it will be going lower on the front, rear springs cut down by a coil and a bit but needs another half coil out of them, I have slight tyre showing if you look down the sides of the van but I can put up with that Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace??   How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How wide of wheels can I fit on my 1991 Hiace??
Page 1 of 1