Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Owner - Servicing Questions!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
denepeep

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Geelong
Registration date : 2017-03-21

New Owner - Servicing Questions!  Empty
PostSubject: New Owner - Servicing Questions!    New Owner - Servicing Questions!  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Hey guys im new to the site, Toyotas and also vans!

I have just bought a 1996 dual fuel hiace with just over 280,000km.

I have a falcon which I am comfortable servicing by myself now worries however it does not run on gas.

What Im asking is because of the dual fuel, do I need to do anything different? Are plugs different or do I just go into supercheap and ask for 96 model hiace plugs? What about oil or anything else that I need to know? Basically if you guys were servicing a dual fuel hiace, what would you check/do?

ALSO in terms of general upkeep is there anything I need to know about either dual fuel or vans that I might not know about? More frequent services? Should I keep an eye on anything in particular that wears out more in vans?

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: New Owner - Servicing Questions!    New Owner - Servicing Questions!  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Which type of van do you have? The super custom or with the engine in the front nose?
And which engine do you have in there, with which amount of horsepower?

Isn't the dual fuel conversion done by a company?
Back to top Go down
denepeep

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Geelong
Registration date : 2017-03-21

PostSubject: Re: New Owner - Servicing Questions!    New Owner - Servicing Questions!  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 1:07 am

Engine is under the passenger seat if that helps? And I pick the van up this Sunday (as it is currently getting a roadworthy ) so not sure on EXACT model as of yet...

The gas tank is at the very rear of the van but underneath. I have seen a lot with tanks sitting inside the van itself which tells me aftermarket straight away, but not sure if mine is or isn't unfortunately until I have a good look this Sunday when I drive it home..

Do you have any tips for servicing or anything else from the information I have given or did you need me to be more specific in terms of the engine?

EDIT: oh and I think I remember it saying 2.4litre and it definitely has 4 cylinders
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: New Owner - Servicing Questions!    New Owner - Servicing Questions!  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 7:59 am

Hi,

Sorry, can't help with servicing info.

When you pickup the van, could you post a picture of how the gas tank is mounted? I'm thinking about fitting one for the stove in my van Smile

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: New Owner - Servicing Questions!    New Owner - Servicing Questions!  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 8:22 am

So this is most likely the 2RZ-E engine. Could be 2RZ-FE but that is not likely.
There is also the carburated 2RZ, but I don't think that is combined with gas.

Is it with LPG or CNG?

TwentyOneThirtyFive wrote:

When you pickup the van, could you post a picture of how the gas tank is mounted?  I'm thinking about fitting one for the stove in my van Smile

Please note, that a gas tank for driving the engine is different than a gas tank for cooking and other stuff.
This is because of storing it liquid, versus storing it in gas form.
So you cannot use these regular car tanks for your stove. However, there are seperate tanks for that available.

Also you have bottles in normal sizes (like you may already be using) but then with a fillable openeing, fillable at the gas station with LPG.
This is probably the most practical replacement for that.

Example on a Dutch site:
http://www.gasproducten.nl/lpggasfles/default.htm
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

PostSubject: Re: New Owner - Servicing Questions!    New Owner - Servicing Questions!  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Hiace4wd wrote:

Please note, that a gas tank for driving the engine is different than a gas tank for cooking and other stuff.
This is because of storing it liquid, versus storing it in gas form.
So you cannot use these regular car tanks for your stove. However, there are seperate tanks for that available.

Also you have bottles in normal sizes (like you may already be using) but then with a fillable openeing, fillable at the gas station with LPG.
This is probably the most practical replacement for that.

Hi, yes, realise that.  I was more interested on how and where it had been fixed to the van.

There are a few suppliers in the UK (Gas-IT, Gaslow, Autogas come to mind).  They do fitting kits for the popular vans, but I'd need to use a more generic fixing adapter, keen to get it in the right place first time.

The "normal sized" refillables are too big for the conversion I have - it was designed to run off small hiking canisters!  I can get the biggest Campinggaz cylinder in there (907?), but nothing bigger.  Had to sacrifice half our water capacity for that!

Sure the storage looked bigger when we first looked at the van.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: New Owner - Servicing Questions!    New Owner - Servicing Questions!  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 pm

Ah, so it would be nice to get it under the body.

I recently found out that there is such a gas tank for cooking (and heating etc) in the shape of a spare wheel. I'm going to see if I can fit it in the sparewheel location, it is only a few cm higher than the spare wheel (20cm versus 23cm).
There have been these ring tanks for LPG for ages, but always the liquid storage type to drive your engine.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

PostSubject: Re: New Owner - Servicing Questions!    New Owner - Servicing Questions!  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Yes, I saw the spare wheel ones, would be a good solution. But what will you do with the spare? But then I guess the tyre size you have won't fit in there anyway?

I misread your earlier comment and didn't notice this bit. I thought LPG (propane, essentially) was liquid when compressed at the pressures used in these cylinders, no matter whether it was for automotive or domestic use? It's liquid in a campinggaz cylinder (propane/butane mix).

The difference would be the regulator?
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: New Owner - Servicing Questions!    New Owner - Servicing Questions!  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 8:35 pm

Ok I created a new thread about the gas bottle discussion, because I don't want to spoil this thread. See here:

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t3156-gas-tank-discussion
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

PostSubject: Re: New Owner - Servicing Questions!    New Owner - Servicing Questions!  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 7:40 am

Yes, sorry, back to servicing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Owner - Servicing Questions!    New Owner - Servicing Questions!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Owner - Servicing Questions!
Page 1 of 1