Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hiace spare wheel etiquette

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Hiace spare wheel etiquette Empty
PostSubject: Hiace spare wheel etiquette   Hiace spare wheel etiquette Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 6:31 pm

So I decided that I'd check out the spare tire and inflate it.

After pulling it out it was covered in dust and grit on top around the rim and completely flat.

It's the original tyre with the original yellow markings so the tyre is good.
205 R15/70 in fact, on a steel rim, (5 stud 2WD).

I pumped it up to 3 bar but I could hear the air hissing out where the dust had settled around the rim on top, so I think some got into the bead because much of the top rim leaked in my 'washing the leaky tyre with detergent' test and the bottom rim was perfect.

I'll get it cleaned and reseated at a tyre place, but I was thinking of putting a layer of plastic on top to save the same thing happening, then I thought it would be easier to check the pressure if it was fitted back 'dish-side-up' so I could check it without lowering it.

So what's the right way to store it under the van and which way up do you store yours?
Do you take precautions like checking the pressure and covering the top bit at all?
Can you get cloth 'wheel bags' for this sort of thing?
Back to top Go down
Ace MM
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 49
Home City : California USA
Model and year : 1990 Super Custom 4WD Diesel LH107
Registration date : 2016-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Hiace spare wheel etiquette   Hiace spare wheel etiquette Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 7:08 am

I store it so muddy water drains.
Valve stem accessible.

Also a good idea to lube the mechanism regularly.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Hiace spare wheel etiquette   Hiace spare wheel etiquette Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 8:40 am

Yeah my mechanism is completely stuck, I probably just order it new.
I had a 195/70R16 rim if I'm correct, with the 6 studs (4WD). It was in fact a full size spare wheel.

The tyre was still under pressure by the way, but the rim had a lot of rust. I don't remember how it was fitted, which way up.
But if you do the air valve down, it means the rim is seated as such that mud and water can stay in the rim.
Mine also had a lot of hard clay, from ages ago I guess. (I think the car has been on a lot of dirt roads and gravel roads)

You can get bags for them on Ebay for like $40 with a print, should be able to do cheaper without any print on it. However, they are open on one side, so you again have the same problem of mud coming in.
But it will be very close to the tank, so not much dirt can get in. But with a cover you can't check the pressure Razz

I would advise to bring a very small 12v compressor for like 10 pounds/dollar/euro. They are a bit annoying, slow and definitely not good enough for off-road use.
But they are small, and with patience you can get a flat tire up again so you can drive to a point where you can get your tire fixed.
It will also allow you to get your spare tire up to pressure.

I'm looking into making a rear tire carrier through a steal bumper, swing out style. But that is also because I want to carry a full size one for my bigger tires, and that doesn't fit under the car.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: Hiace spare wheel etiquette   Hiace spare wheel etiquette Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 10:22 am

Here, you guys should buy this tire bag as it is completely closed:

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/XXXL-Spare-Wheel-Cover-Tyre-Tire-Storage-Bag-Car-Van-Caravan-Motorhome-Truck-99-/321946916223?hash=item4af588157f:g:mqMAAOSwcBhWbDec

Quite cheap isn't it?

There is a bump from the diesel tank in the middle of the tyre, but I think it will be flexible enough to give in a little bit.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Hiace spare wheel etiquette   Hiace spare wheel etiquette Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 10:30 am

That's the bag I bought, it's a bit baggy but does fit easily.

I also bought a 300mm tyre valve extension (for trucks) so I can check the pressure even when it's in the bag under the van Smile. I'll position that to the back and keep it at 3 bar.

I'll also put it back dish side up to lower the CofG.

Good tip to grease the mech Ace MM!
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: Hiace spare wheel etiquette   Hiace spare wheel etiquette Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 10:38 am

GPW wrote:
I'll also put it back dish side up to lower the CofG.

Haha, how fast do you corner?

Anyway, check the old spare tire for cracks, it may be dried out.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Hiace spare wheel etiquette   Hiace spare wheel etiquette Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Hiace4wd wrote:

Haha, how fast do you corner?

Anyway, check the old spare tire for cracks, it may be dried out.

Very Happy, every mm of CofG helps stability LOL

Mine was fine, had it re-seated. I think it was good because it's hidden from the sun down there.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: Hiace spare wheel etiquette   Hiace spare wheel etiquette Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 12:52 pm

Yeah that's definitely good. However, my spare looks terrible, although it will still probably work and is not dried out.

By the way, I raised the rear suspension around 3 inch and cornering is better instead of worse hehe.
(but that is because the van doesn't roll so much anymore, so I don't have to completely slow down for a corner)
Anyway, it is still a van. (a mid-engine van! Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiace spare wheel etiquette   Hiace spare wheel etiquette Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiace spare wheel etiquette
Page 1 of 1