Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease Empty
PostSubject: Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease   Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 7:44 am

Hi,

Slowly acquiring all the bits to give my van a good service. Just need some time now!

The workshop manual says to use 75w-90 gear oil for the transfer box. A quick search shows both synthetic and semi-synthetic available, but the workshop manual gives no indication as to which. Any ideas? does it matter?

Also, no info in the workshop manuals about greasing the UJs, what type should I be using?

Thanks,
dan
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease   Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 2:43 pm

I have to see what kind of oil I got, I think it was semi-syntethic.

About the grease, you also bought a grease gun? I always have the car grease, because it annoys me.

I suppose you could walk into a car parts store and say that you want to grease your joints, and they'll give you something suitable Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease   Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 4:55 pm

Not sure I'd trust my local car parts store for advice, they are just a big chain.

I made the mistake of reading the internet to find out how I should service the van, which has confused me! Having never even considered greasing things... anyway a fairly generic Toyota page suggested two different types of grease, lithium for UJ and moly for cardan joints. I have no idea what cardan joints are or what moly grease is Very Happy

I don't have a grease gun, but it was on my list of things to steal from my neighbour...

More reading I suppose.

Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease   Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 7:08 pm

I think a cardan joint and a universal joint is the same. So what Toyota is trying to tell you, it doesn't matter Smile

I would walk into the car parts store and you ask them for grease for universal joints. It's not like you're gonna need special grease for the Toyota, it is the same thing for all trucks and 4x4's.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease   Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2016 7:58 am

Yes, after I stopped panicking (you'll find this happens a lot!) I did some more reading and a UJ and Cardan are the same thing.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease   Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transfer Box Oil & UJ Grease
Page 1 of 1