Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuse hunt or just a new fan....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now
georgefreeways

Number of posts : 30
Home City : Bristol
Model and year : 1998 AM Craft Hiace Campervan 2.8 Auto
Registration date : 2016-03-14

Fuse hunt or just a new fan.... Empty
PostSubject: Fuse hunt or just a new fan....   Fuse hunt or just a new fan.... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi all,

I was as adding a new slimmer switch to the extractor fan in the rear of my Hiace hi-top kitchen to sit flush with new panelling...

Wired up no problem, but, like a fool, shorted it out as i was pulling the wires through my new panel, one little spark and its dead.

Everything else on the leisure battery works fine, I cant see an inline fuse, so my question is, will there be randomly named misc. fuse in the fuse box i've missed (its in Japanese) or will the fan unit have dies on me.

S'cuse the lack of knowledge, electric just aint my bag!.... Embarassed

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Fuse hunt or just a new fan....   Fuse hunt or just a new fan.... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Should be a separate fuse. I'd be very surprised if it's on the main vehicle fusebox when you have a separate leisure battery.
What type of conversion is (was) it?
Do you have a power distribution panel for the leisure electrics?

It's just possible that the circuit was unfused and the cable has burnt out somewhere, especially if the connection to the system was poorly done and there was a thin spot in the wiring but I think that's unlikely.
If your van was a Noppo (I have a similar wetroom at the back of mine) then you are in luck, as I have a wiring diagram for the leisure electrics... :-)

Cheers,
             W.
Back to top Go down
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now
georgefreeways

PostSubject: Re: Fuse hunt or just a new fan....   Fuse hunt or just a new fan.... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks,

Mine is an AM Craft conversion.

I'll take a another look at the fuse board which im presuming for the leisure operations is to the left of the steering column? (i'm two weeks into Hiace ownership so still navigating the vast interior!)

As for a power dist panel, (you mean like a ZIG? or similar?) Well, I was hoping to find one, but nothing.

There is a box of tricks next to the leisure batt, but that just the charger, with a feed coming from the alternator? opposed to the "leisure end"! Only other electricals are the trip switch next to the hook up lead.

Cheers again,

M.
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Fuse hunt or just a new fan....   Fuse hunt or just a new fan.... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 6:53 pm

Hmm... there must be some sort of power distribution bus which the various leisure electrics are connected to.
The charger unit will be some sort of splitter- a relay, diode pack or controller with input from the alternator and output to the starter and leisure batteries. Either that or it's a Mains charger and connected to your hookup not the alternator. My van has a mains charger next to the battery and a splitter under the van, behind the drivers wheelarch, which is connected to the alternator.
You should have a pretty beefy output cable from the battery to a distribution point- could be a simple connector block or post with inline fuses or a proper pdu (a bit like a Zig) or a supplementary fusebox... but I wouldn't expect that to be in the cab: it would be good practice to have it close to the battery and the devices it feeds to minimise cable runs...

Would definitely be worth following the wires where you can to understand the system. My van is a good quality conversion but I've had several electrical failures as components have aged: master relay for the leisure electrics, mains charging unit and the split charge diode pack... Each has involved a bit of research to replace with a suitable alternative, mostly because the electrical bits tend to be American or Japanese, and 20 years old!

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now
georgefreeways

PostSubject: Re: Fuse hunt or just a new fan....   Fuse hunt or just a new fan.... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 7:37 pm

That, is very helpful indeed W, Many thanks, there appears to be all sorts of shennanigans going on by the trip switches, some of which are defunct and simply "cut" past versions of the newer seemingly stealthier system!

I'll trace some leads and let you know how i get on!

M.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuse hunt or just a new fan....   Fuse hunt or just a new fan.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuse hunt or just a new fan....
Page 1 of 1