Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
joyfull

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Plymouth
Model and year : 1996 Hiace Vantech High Top
Registration date : 2014-03-13

3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo  Empty
PostSubject: 3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo    3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 2:11 pm

My 3L engine has blown on 1996 auto camper in the UK (Plymouth)

Options?

1) Rebuild. Parts hard to get. Australia only source?

2) Reconditioned. Who supplies?

2) Engine is thirsty (around 24mpg) and not very powerful. Is it possible to replace with engine with better mpg?
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo    3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 12:49 pm

Hey Joyfull,

So sorry to hear the engine has blown on your beast. I'm sure that the Hilux and some Land cruisers use a very similar, if not the same engine which should be easier to source and, more importantly, fit under your seats.

Try these guys http://www.nipponautospares.com/ They did have a camper in the yard that I bought the tailgate off of, and there could be an engine going spare. They also source engines direct from Japan. In addition they may also carry some parts if necessary.

There's also a chap in/near Watford who's details I can't find who should be able to source you an engine, as he could get an official windscreen within a week.

Looking at your MPG on long runs I can get 28mpg (even hit 30mpg which was awesome!), short runs or very cold weather and it's down at 23mpg though. There's a theory that jap imports have a limiter on the engine somewhere. IF I knew where it was I'd have it sorted as mine is slow, but does make a relaxed journey, and sllllllooooooowwww up hills.

Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
joyfull

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Plymouth
Model and year : 1996 Hiace Vantech High Top
Registration date : 2014-03-13

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo    3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 9:22 pm

toldsimply wrote:
Hey Joyfull,

So sorry to hear the engine has blown on your beast.  I'm sure that the Hilux and some Land cruisers use a very similar, if not the same engine which should be easier to source and, more importantly, fit under your seats.  

Try these guys http://www.nipponautospares.com/ They did have a camper in the yard that I bought the tailgate off of, and there could be an engine going spare.  They also source engines direct from Japan. In addition they may also carry some parts if necessary.

There's also a chap in/near Watford who's details I can't find who should be able to source you an engine, as he could get an official windscreen within a week.

Looking at your MPG on long runs I can get 28mpg (even hit 30mpg which was awesome!), short runs or very cold weather and it's down at 23mpg though.  There's a theory that jap imports have a limiter on the engine somewhere.  IF I knew where it was I'd have it sorted as mine is slow, but does make a relaxed journey, and sllllllooooooowwww up hills.

Thank you for the ideas and encouragement. At the moment I feel petty low as I love my high top and am so dissapointrd with the engine. And mine is so incredibly slow up hills. Goes at a 20mph crawl
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo    3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 12:56 pm

I would look at getting the engine rebuilt. Parts are not that hard to come by and it's a robust engine. Chances are you're paying for a previous owners lack of care on your engine.

It should work out cheaper than getting another engine all together.
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo    3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 1:59 pm

BBC Spares maybe a source for spares.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo    3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3L engine blown 1996 Hiace auto in UK Can you fit Turbo
Page 1 of 1