Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mon Antonio
Mon Antonio

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Manila Philippines
Registration date : 2014-02-02

HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head Empty
PostSubject: HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head   HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 11:53 am

Hi all, newbie here, can anyone please help me my my problem, I have a 1991 Super Custom 3L diesel engine van, i recently refaced the head cylinder, replaced the gasket head, overhauled the radiator, drain the engine and tighten back the head bolts but water is still gushing out from the radiator because of overheating. (specially when the aircon is turned on)

thanks all
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head   HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 7:26 pm

From cold with the pressure cap off does it start pumping out? This would indicate a cracked head.

was it a new head? Was it a Toyota head gasket? Did you use new head bolts?
Back to top Go down
Mon Antonio
Mon Antonio

PostSubject: Re: HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head   HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi Clive,

From cold, water is not pumping out with the cap off but when i drove a few blocks away, i stopped and checked again the engine. I noticed that the water from the overflow bottle is boiling. i've stopped the engine and let it cool for a while. i then removed that pressure cap and it was dried out. i've noticed the overheating when i turned on the a/c. I've also noticed water coming from under the van. My friend told me it was probably water coming out of the overflow.

the head is still the old one (we've only refaced it). the gasket is for a Toyota 3L engine but i think it's not an original gasket coming from Toyota dealers. The head bolts are still the old ones. My uncle told me that we should check again the head bolts  if they we tight enough because he told me that they tend to loosen up a little while overheating occurs.

Thanks Clive. Hope we can solve my problem eventually.

Thanks all
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head   HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 8:22 pm

Head may have a crack that you can not see with your eye. The head needs to be tested for cracks.

It would help to check for water pump working, to check where the water under the engine is coming from I put the overflow hose into a container to as not to confuse fluid drips.

Head bolts are the stretch type. The bolt holes have to be clear. The bolts can bottom out and appear at the correct torque but still not clamping the head.
Back to top Go down
Mon Antonio
Mon Antonio

PostSubject: Re: HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head   HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 2:09 pm

I've check the water dripping underneath and it is coming from the a/c. I will check the water pump if its working properly. Need to re-tighthen the bolts again carefully (we're afraid if we put too much pressure on the bolts it might snap, i think we should also consider replacing the head bolts)

Thanks again, your info is greatly appreciated
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head   HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 10:15 pm

A/C condensation drip, ok so it's warm in the Philippines.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head   HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HELP PLS: overheating after replacing gasket head
Page 1 of 1