Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

Number of posts : 65
Home City : London
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Cruising Cabin 1994
Registration date : 2012-08-15

small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay Empty
PostSubject: small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay   small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay Icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi guys,

I'm having a new noise since 2 days on my hiace cruising cabin 94, and starting to worry about it as I will enter Guatemala in a few days...

Noise sounds like drum brakes in action, or bad pads sliding on the disc, could be a bearing, but not sure yet, and it definitely comes from the engine bay. When parked, It's there as soon as I start the engine, and increases in sync with engine revs (a bit louder and higher pitch). I was looking at the alternator, seems very hot even after a short 3 min drive, is that ok ? We had to replace the alternator before the trip, and the one is a reconditioned one. No warning light yet, but I don't have the tools to check the voltages.
It seems to get worse every day, so I need some advice before going any further. I'm in Belize now and it's going to be tricky to find a good mechanic in a safe place.

Thank you,

David

Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay   small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 8:28 am

With the engine cold, jam or hold the fan still and start the engine. Use a length of hose and place one end on the alt the other to your ear, if it is not that move around the engine, BEWARE just because the fan is not moving the belts will be. If you have still not found the source release the fan it may be that.
Back to top Go down
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

PostSubject: Re: small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay   small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi Clive,
thanks for the tip about the hose ! We have a spare meter in the trunk ready for that Smile
Cheers,

David
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay   small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 12:53 am

If your van is air conditioned, check the idler pulley for the A/C belt.
It is low mounted under the alternator and it's bearings fail after a time.
There is also the other idler pully on the top of the A/C belt but it does not contact the belt all the time (It's there to stop the belt from whipping back and forth under load) and as such it does not make a continuous noise when its bearings go.

I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay   small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 12:55 am

Just had another thought, maybe it is the water pump bearings?
How old is the pump?
That would be worthwhile to check too.
Back to top Go down
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

PostSubject: Re: small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay   small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi Jeff !
thanks for the update, noise was coming from the idler pulley for the AC. Our AC is shot anyway, so not a big loss (we have a big missing pipe below the van )
thanks again !

David
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay   small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

small noise like drum brakes, but from the engine bay
Page 1 of 1