Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Super custom back seat/bed mod

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
zam

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Burradoo
Registration date : 2013-07-26

My Super custom back seat/bed mod Empty
PostSubject: My Super custom back seat/bed mod   My Super custom back seat/bed mod Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 11:59 am

Hi all

I'm well chuffed that this forum exists, and look forward to being a part of, and contributing to it!

I just finished a mod on my Super Custom where I stripped the back seat down to its bottom metal frame, and bolted on a MDF platform that an air mattress can rest on.

The middle set of seats also play a part in creating the bed, whereby I rotate them around backwards, and lay the back supports down as far as they go.  This then becomes the upper third of the bed base.

I went with this method because I wanted to keep the option to transport 5 people in the van if I wanted to (and have been come festival time!).  The metal/MDF section still retains its sliding rails/locking function, which is necessary to move it back then forward again when rotating the middle seats.

All in all I think this turned out great, and I in fact have more space in the back of the van once the MDF base is all folded up, while still keeping the 5 seats (I was never going to transport 8 people at one time anyway!)

If anyone wants to know any more details about the process, or parts I used (it was definitely a bit of trial and error for me), I'm more than happy to answer  Surprised 

As for my van, it will have its maiden voyage with the new bed in a couple weeks, cant wait!  cheers 

My Super custom back seat/bed mod Po81

My Super custom back seat/bed mod Gih5

My Super custom back seat/bed mod 7kgc

My Super custom back seat/bed mod Ytyc

My Super custom back seat/bed mod Voyz

My Super custom back seat/bed mod R2iv

My Super custom back seat/bed mod 2zu6

My Super custom back seat/bed mod Xlre

My Super custom back seat/bed mod X4il

My Super custom back seat/bed mod 41c6

My Super custom back seat/bed mod Gy6t

My Super custom back seat/bed mod Jydv

My Super custom back seat/bed mod Ncte

My Super custom back seat/bed mod Yamt

My Super custom back seat/bed mod Boly
Back to top Go down
woody.skate.and.destroy
Not so new now
Not so new now
woody.skate.and.destroy

Number of posts : 22
Home City : Canberra, ACT
Model and year : 1998 SC KHZ-100 3.0 Turbo Diesel
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: My Super custom back seat/bed mod   My Super custom back seat/bed mod Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Nice! I usually just put an air mattress over the folded seats but that looks way more comfortable and practical.
Back to top Go down
CustardCrazy
Not so new now
Not so new now
CustardCrazy

Number of posts : 84
Home City : Melbourne, Australia
Model and year : 1996 8 seater Super Custom 4WD KZH106
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: My Super custom back seat/bed mod   My Super custom back seat/bed mod Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 9:03 am

Nice Job and great photo's. So are you a cabinet maker or an engineer?
One of these days I might take another look and do the same - but for now I need the 8 seats.

Are you planning to rig the curtain switches so you don't need the ignition on. Damn, now I'm thinking of where to install the bar...

must...

stop.

Dave.
Back to top Go down
limes

Number of posts : 6
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2016-10-19

PostSubject: Re: My Super custom back seat/bed mod   My Super custom back seat/bed mod Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2016 5:22 am

Any chance of the photos being uploaded again?
I really want to see (and try) this mod

L
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: My Super custom back seat/bed mod   My Super custom back seat/bed mod Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2016 8:38 am

You can try and send him a message.

But I think it was pretty simple if I remember the pictures. He folded (and rotated) the seats down, which makes an uneven surface. Then there was this MDF construction in the back that you could fold out over the middle seats. This made the area of the middle seats an even and flat surface. Then he just put an aerobed inflatable mattress on top of it. Very simple and effective setup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Super custom back seat/bed mod   My Super custom back seat/bed mod Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Super custom back seat/bed mod
Page 1 of 1