Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited? Empty
PostSubject: largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited?   largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 12:34 am

I'm about to replace my battery and im wondering if anyone has suggestions for the largest battery i can put in it? i dont think mine has the leisure battery option, theres only one battery there that im aware of. i might just drive it to a battery place and put in the largest thing that fits if unless thats an unwise thing to do for any reason.

thanks heaps for any suggestions guys,
queglay
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited?   largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 8:05 am

Not the size but the CCA is the thing to go by, the larger number the better.

Varta do an Asian battery that fits most Japanese/Korean Diesels that has plenty of power.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited?   largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 2:19 pm

going by CCA alone will not help me here. you need a deep cycle battery if you want to run extras when camping, and if you want both the amp hour and the CCA rating on a deep cycle, you will need a physically larger sized battery. otherwise you are going to sacrifice one of these characteristics.

i got a large 760 CCA deep cycle in there, much larger than the one before, but amps is what i care about for running extra peripherals, not CCA as much (as long as its enough to start). i believe it was 120-150 amphour, but forgot exactly the amount. i bought it from bond batteries for $250, and had to get a bit creative with fitting it in there and changing round angles of the posts that the bolts go into, but im sure this will be a big step up for camping. the last battery didn't last long when it was being taken down to about 12.1v. a deep cycle should handle that much better.

from bond on my receipt i have the model as DCM31SMF. warning, not for the faint of heart, the battery guy was not convinced i would be able to do it either. you are going to have to play around abit to fit it in, and bend a support bolt to fasten it down, but it is possible! I can take a picture when i get a minute if anyone wants to see.
Back to top Go down
CustardCrazy
Not so new now
Not so new now
CustardCrazy

Number of posts : 84
Home City : Melbourne, Australia
Model and year : 1996 8 seater Super Custom 4WD KZH106
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited?   largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 9:39 am

Mine is an N70ZZ4WD CENTURY with 760 Cold Cranking Amps and Reserve Capacity of 185. This does the job well for starting in winter. I only run LED lamps in my caravan overnight when camping so I am not worried about too much capacity for accessories without the engine running. There seems to be no difference in starting performance in the morning.

The battery I had put in it just after I got it 4 years ago was about the same rating fitted by an auto electrician but left me stranded needing a jump start a couple of times. I had no idea it was so bad until I fitted the new one I got from Supercheap. In contrast this one couldn't even handle running the led's in the caravan. It must have been a dud from the start.

The N70ZZ4WD looks like it fills the space pretty well. I can't imagine a bigger one in there without really screwing around with the connections.
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited?   largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 11:21 am

I also run something very similar to an N70ZZ, it was basically my fridge battery out of my Toyota 4runner.

The battery which came with the van was new, but had nowhere near enough capacity and kept going flat after about 2 days of not using the van.

I also have a 70Ah Glass mat (or whatever their called) battery for my fridge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited?   largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

largest battery for 98 kzh106 super custom limited?
Page 1 of 1