Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Laying rear seats

Go down 
+3
wernerk
WERX
maztez
7 posters
AuthorMessage
maztez
Not so new now
Not so new now
maztez

Number of posts : 89
Home City : Gold Coast Qld
Model and year : super custom 3ltr turbo diesel 1995
Registration date : 2011-06-11

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 12:32 am

Gidday , is there a way to lay the seats down so they are flat and dont have the lump and dips that I am getting ..any help will be appreciated ..cheers Tezza
Back to top Go down
WERX
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
WERX

Number of posts : 475
Home City : Sydney
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Super Custom 2000
Registration date : 2009-05-28

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 12:24 am

Unfortunately not. I slept in mine after a big party and even with copius amounts of alcohol I couldn't get a good night sleep. Serves me right!
Maybe get a layer of foam rubber to put over the top?
Back to top Go down
http://www.werx.net.au
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 12:18 am

My partner & I just spent our first camping trip, sleeping in the van instead of a tent.

I rotated the middle row of seats around and left it in the upright position. The back part of the rear row wasn't fully lowered due to some stuff underneath. There was also a gap of 20-25 cm between the seats, but as I had put a 50mm foam mattress over the seats, we were reasonably comfortable.

This was a bit of a rush job just to be able to get away on the weekend and hopefully future versions will prove to be more comfortable, especially with the middle row of seats being removed. Have to see if I took any photos of our setup.

The one disadvantage of the weekend was having to remove 5.1kg of sand from the bash plates & other nooks & crannies underneath!!
Back to top Go down
redcore4
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 33
Home City : Manchester
Model and year : super custom 2.4TD manual - 1992
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 6:53 pm

i use a couple of old pillows to smooth out my seats before putting a sheet over for sleeping. this seems to work pretty well and covers up the seatbelts, hinges etc - but in due course i'm gonna save up for one of those self-inflating camping mats (basically about 2 inches of foam inside a lilo) to put over the top which i think will sort out the remaining tiny niggles.
Back to top Go down
maztez
Not so new now
Not so new now
maztez

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 10:04 pm

thank you all for your advice..we are using a latex/rubber mattress over the seats and it works for our old backs ..
cheers tezza
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 12:08 am

Hi all, yesterday I removed the middle row of seats.

Whoever said that they were very heavy wasn't joking. My partner & I struggled to lift them out and they have now found a permanent home in the back room of the house!! Very Happy

I moved my drawer & fridge to where the seats were, built up the height,put the mattress in place and had a test lie down. Much more comfortable than before. Smile

Now to design a drop-down table, the framework of which could be held in place via the 2 rear bolts which were holding the middle row of seats before. scratch

Amazing how much more space there is once the seats have been removed.

Will post some pics once I find somewhere to post them.

Werner

Back to top Go down
maztez
Not so new now
Not so new now
maztez

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 5:42 am

Sounds like it's coming along nicely there Werner ..be good to see the pics when you post them ..
cheers Tezza
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 4:27 am

Hi Tezza,

I've finally been able to put up some pics of our intended setup, well the next version anyway.

[img]https://s1052.photobucket.com/albums/s446/wkutsche/Hiace_campervan_mods [img]

There will be an adjustable table between the rear seats and the drawer so that it will be able to be used for dining as well as a support for the lower end of the bed at night. When dining, the mattress will be moved to the front of the van.

I'm only setting the van up as a part-time camper as I want to have as little weight in the van during my everyday commute to work.

More pics to come once the table has been installed.

Cheers,

Werner
Back to top Go down
maztez
Not so new now
Not so new now
maztez

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 5:17 am

Very interesting there Werner , be good when you have finished your redesigning ..thanks for the pics ..tezza
Back to top Go down
izzzzythedog
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 69
Home City : midlands
Registration date : 2011-09-17

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 6:59 pm

airbed over the seats , you dont need to blow it up rock hard , just a bit is all it needs

im also a remover of the rear seats , due to the lack of weight it wheelspins rather easily and brings moments of arse cleching fun as i struggle for grip ( 2wd ) out of junctions
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:27 am

Looks good Werner, well done.

Vans are fun in slippy conditions thats for sure izzzzy Smile
Back to top Go down
izzzzythedog
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 69
Home City : midlands
Registration date : 2011-09-17

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 6:07 pm

your not wrong , plus given all my cars ( 5 ) are turbo charged i tend to drive everywhere with errrrr lets say dedication , because of this the van gets the same lets get there like yesterday treatment Twisted Evil

off to wales tomorrow in it , bike and dog at the ready , if i can ill stop and grab a piccy up a mountain somewhere and post it up
Back to top Go down
urantia

Number of posts : 18
Home City : Perth
Model and year : 1997 Super Custom living saloon
4wd, 1kz
Registration date : 2011-05-20

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 1:21 am

Ive recently ripped out all the back seats in my super custom, fitted a solar panel to the roof, an engel fridge behind the passenger seat, 100AH deep cycle battery/inverter etc.

and i put one of these in the back as my bed:
http://www.innovationliving.com.au/Cubed-90-Sofa-Bed/

I pretty much live in my super custom on my days off from FIFO work.
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Here are the latest pics of my part-time camper setup.

The rear seats are lowered down as far as they will go and form the top end of the bed. The table setup forms the bottom end. A mattress is laid over the lot to give a comfortable base.

The drawer & fridge slide are held in place by the metal framework which in turn is secured by the 4 bolts which originally held the middle row of seats. The table can be set at 2 levels, one for dining (with a small frame, not shown) and the other for sleeping which is what this series of pics shows.

Laying rear seats  Slide1

The drawer was originally in my L series Subaru, then modifed for my Toyota 4Runner and finally the SC van. With each change of vehicle the surrounding frame to the drawer has been reduced.
In pic 3, the white piece of timber supported by a slotted PVC pipe helps to stabilize the table, the underside of which can be seen at left. There is a short section of PVC pipe bolted to the table and this sits on the top of the drawer providing further stabilisation. A bolt though the table into the white piece of timber minimises movement. The other side of the table rests on the metal frame next to the window and is secured by bolts fed through a couple of holes.

Laying rear seats  Slide2

The fridge slide bolts onto a section of framework which is permanently attached to the drawer setup. This stops the fridge from tilting when it's pulled toward the side door. The esky is part of the bottom end of the passenger side of the bed and prevents the mattress from sagging. It contains a cask of drinking water and at present, the gas bottle.

Laying rear seats  Slide3

In pic 9, I have moved the second camping chair so that it actually sits on top of the pillow and esky. This has enabled the passenger side of the bed to be almost totally level, something I'm sure my partner will appreciate. The tub with the blue lid has been relocated to the rear of the vehicle under the seat.
Pic 11 is the view from the rear looking forward.

The second battery which runs the fridge, sits in a box behind the rear seat on the driver's side.

Well, after a lot of stuffing around, that's the latest version of my part-time camper. The next thing I need to do is to glue some velcro around the edge of the moonroofs so that I can fix some insect screen mesh in place to keep the wildlife out at night Smile

The setup will be tested on the coming weekend to check it's functionality Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Laying rear seats  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laying rear seats    Laying rear seats  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Laying rear seats
Page 1 of 1