Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel milage

Go down 
+24
1KZ-TE
Dale
mr freeze
AussieQ
popoyn
Bobby Dazzler
BreadBin
Abaddon
Robbo
sonicthebadger
doofvan
Big Lloyd
alfazar
pushrod
jimsmim
johnny
moogdrew
kylenorth18
skyking
Spud_Gun
maximus
kev
Admin
zoochy
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

Fuel milage - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2007 7:23 pm

I'm sure it was a post on the Biofuel forum...

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

There is a load of stuff here if you are interested. (do a search for Hiace)
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
skyking
skyking

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 2:19 am

Admin wrote:
I'm sure it was a post on the Biofuel forum...

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

There is a load of stuff here if you are interested. (do a search for Hiace)

Thank you very much. I'm always looking for info on alternative fuels and energy. Now, if I can just find the courage to try this on my first, my only diesel and "getting to work/recreation" vehicle. I know the diesel can run using these used oils from reading here and other sites but I may be the guy whose engine blows up doing so. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
skyking
skyking

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 3:47 am

I plugged in a couple of lines from the clip introduced at the beginning into the search engine of the biodiesel forum and also tried google and no hits. Might it have come from another forum? The biodiesel link you mentioned above is great!
Back to top Go down
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

Number of posts : 62
Home City : Melksham
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Super Custom Limited 2.8D (LH107)
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 11:21 am

Hi - has any one had any problems with fuel pipes breaking down or the glue in fuel filters breaking down when using veg oil.
Also am i lead to beleive that as veg oil breaks down the crap that diesel leaves behind its a good substitute for fuel system cleaner?
Ps - i have another of the 3L engines
Back to top Go down
johnny
johnny

Number of posts : 9
Home City : A CAMPSITE NEAR YOU
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 5:58 pm

My 2.8 n/a with a light foot will do 30 mpg max
Back to top Go down
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

Number of posts : 188
Home City : paisley
Model and year : VW TRANSPORTER T5 LWB poptop camper
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 7:35 am

I've seen people advertise these vans stating they do around 30 mpg in the advert(some state more...slight fib me thinks)....but I dont reckon mine is doing anywhere near that...sub 25 probably.... Sad
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 11:41 am

totally agree at best 19-24 however you drive it
Back to top Go down
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 140
Home City : S Bucks
Model and year : 1990 2.4 TD 2wd Ltd
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 11:58 am

maximus wrote:
wow mine must have a hole in the tank.its a 2.4 turbo think once i might have made 500klms on a tankfull but was on fumes.at best usually 400-420(about 16 -18 to the gallon i think).2wd and auto

Mine was about the same, then I changed the air filter ( which I think must have been original - 2 layers of foam around a wire cage ) and now I'm getting about 20mpg. Still not wonderful by any means, but non the less a 25% improvement. Smile The engine needs a bit of a tune - it doesn't like being pushed up hill with od off - but I'll change the fuel filter first and check the turbo. I'm hoping for 25mpg No ... Will post results!
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 10:14 am

good luck Very Happy think your gonna have to get out and push it for the last 5 miles to achieve your goal lol!
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 pm

Had my 3 litre turbo poptop camper for a few weeks now and seem to be getting low to mid 20's mpg on mixed driving. Latest fill working it out in metric seems to be 11.8/100km.
I'm guessing my fulltime 4WD doesn't help. I've been playing around with the autotrans and 3rd gear seems to lockup at 40mph with O/D off, so I use this on slower roads or climbing hills. The 4th gear locks up at 55mph with O/D on and then it really cruises. I don't have a tacho but it feels like maybe 2000rpm at 55mph? I've had it up to 90mph no problem and it feels like it's just getting into stride with plenty left.
Anyway, I'm wondering if I disconnected a propshaft on my fulltime 4WD would it make much difference to my consumption?
Al
Back to top Go down
Big Lloyd
Been here a while
Been here a while
Big Lloyd

Number of posts : 103
Home City : East Hertfordshire UK
Model and year : 1994 sc 2.4td
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 7:29 pm

Can you not get some type of freewheeling hubs for Toyota, like the ones fitted to Land Rovers?
They used to make a load of difference when I had my old Landie.........
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 7:23 pm

Yeah, some of the 2.8 hiaces have freewheel hubs and selectable 4WD but mine has it on all the time. I don't know how to explain it technically but my system feels different as it never binds up on corners and so on, as I've experinced on HiLux pickups. The fulltime 4WD seems to be more road biased than the selectable type. There's no low ratios. I don't think there's an easy way to turn it off.
Al
Back to top Go down
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

Number of posts : 188
Home City : paisley
Model and year : VW TRANSPORTER T5 LWB poptop camper
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 4:29 pm

Quote :
Yeah, some of the 2.8 hiaces have freewheel hubs and selectable 4WD but mine has it on all the time.

thats what mine has.... free wheeling hubs ..plus a button and a big lever Laughing
Back to top Go down
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 6:22 pm

maximus wrote:
good luck Very Happy think your gonna have to get out and push it for the last 5 miles to achieve your goal lol!

I've given it 3 doses of 'injector cleaner' - cost about ÂŁ1.50 per tankfull - and I'm now getting 22+ mpg and 'saving' ÂŁ5.00 per fill-up. Maybe I'll only have to push for 3 miles cheers
Back to top Go down
doofvan
doofvan

Number of posts : 19
Home City : Gold Coast - Australia
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 11:47 am

My 3.0 auto turbo1996 gets about 430kms per tank I think it's 67 litres. 1KZ motor. Once i got about 500km but that was highway driving. I find even if I drive like an old lady it doesn't make much difference at all.
I find that it gets a little better with lower temps (winter vs summer). I find this fuel economy really sh*t. Looking at a few modifications to try and make it better.
As for fuel filter references just take your engine number into Autobarn, Repco or where ever and they will have a Ryco book if you are happy to run that brand. Think it's Z336
Back to top Go down
sonicthebadger

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 8:27 pm

maximus wrote:
wow mine must have a hole in the tank.its a 2.4 turbo think once i might have made 500klms on a tankfull but was on fumes.at best usually 400-420(about 16 -18 to the gallon i think).2wd and auto

I have the same yoke and get about the same milage. Flippin brutal. Could do with two more gears. I have a rev counter and she sits at 3000 revs at 100kph. For a diesel engine that's way too high. It has so much torque it could run at 1500 and still cruise at 100kph!

Anyone on here ever try fitting a different gear box?
Back to top Go down
Robbo
Been here a while
Been here a while
Robbo

Number of posts : 102
Home City : Forster, NSW Australia.
Model and year : 2WD 1996 SC Living Saloon with automatic turbo diesel 3.0lt 1KZ-TE.
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 1:48 am

We're getting a good 500 km a tank in our 3lt 2WD SC. On a long trip it will likely do better, but the fuel prices are having me think of looking into a gas injection modification.

2WD is definately better than AWD for economy. Aside from having to drive more hardware , bigger tyres and losing more power from that, I wonder if AWD has lower ratio diffs?

Mine does 2500 rpm at 110kph and accelerates no problem from there. Wants to go faster Very Happy .
AWD (when I test drove) seemed to accelerate better off the mark though.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 4:33 pm

sounds daft but i think the 3ltr turbo does better mpg than the 2.4 turbo.must be the low down torque that helps.can only think that intercooling 2.4 will help improve mpg a bit and should help the power also.
Back to top Go down
doofvan
doofvan

Number of posts : 19
Home City : Gold Coast - Australia
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 11:15 am

Yes, Intercooling will definately help fuel economy as will lowering the intake temps of fuel and air (air filter). There are many things you can do.
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 6:17 pm

sonicthebadger wrote:

Anyone on here ever try fitting a different gear box?

I have not done this yet but you could change the differencial gearing easily enough.

I went to larger size tires to lower the rpms. It made a 10% difference which is ok but not the 50% you are looking for.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 7:37 pm

he he 50%.when you put it like that it doesnt half make you laugh but its true thats what these walter mitty`s quote.if any body said they could make your car 50%more fuel efficient the world would bow at his feet Very Happy .and mr brown(english p.m shortly to be given the hoof by his own government) would be grinning like the joker
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 7:44 am

I meant 10% difference in RPM's at the same speed, not 10% fuel economy. I think the economy is a bit better but my speedo is obviously out by 10% too and I haven’t bothered to do the math properly. The lower revs are piece of mind in itself.
Back to top Go down
Robbo
Been here a while
Been here a while
Robbo

Number of posts : 102
Home City : Forster, NSW Australia.
Model and year : 2WD 1996 SC Living Saloon with automatic turbo diesel 3.0lt 1KZ-TE.
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 5:30 pm

If you change diff ratio on an AWD model, you would also have to do the front diff. Expensive excercise Shocked . Is the speedo cable or electronic? If electronic, a module can be made to convert the output and correct the reading.

We got 2WD for a few reasons.

Lower roof height for carpark access, also helps marginally with body roll and wind resistance.
Less driveline power loss, lighter and better economy.
Much cheaper tyres.
Easier to get in and out of.
Less componentry and electronics to fail.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 6:40 pm

I went up to manchester (from london) and back over the weekend to nick some bits off the SC thats wrecking up there.

The SC managed 634km for 60L.. it was on the last square of the electronic fuel gauge.

Does anyone know what the tank capacity is?? 65L?

I've thought of lowering the SC a couple of inches to try and reduce the wind resistance a bit... also make lower the centre of gravity and give a bit of extra clearance in carparks.
Back to top Go down
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 11:40 am

That's not bad mpg - just under 30 if my quick mentals are correct! What engine have you got?

I think you're about right on tank capacity - mine takes about 60ltr with fuel light just on.

If your back silencer box is in the same place as mine, be careful when lowering!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel milage
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next