Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Glow plug time question.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Clockman
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-09-13

Glow plug time question. Empty
PostSubject: Glow plug time question.   Glow plug time question. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 2:04 pm

How long should the glow plug light show for on the 3 lt turbo. Mine shows only for an instant on switch on. The engine starts instantly and runs perfectly. I ask this as my other working 2.4 d shows the light for about 15 seconds . Comments welcome . PS anyone know if the interior light tube is available . Thanks. BC.
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Glow plug time question.   Glow plug time question. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 8:41 pm

The 12 volt neon tube is readily available - try a Camping/Mobile homes outlet.
On my 3L engine - non turbo 2.8ltr ,5-6 secs is the norm for a cold start.
You usually only need the glow plugs for Cold Starts e.g. frost, try checking a 12 volt circuit tester on one of the glow plugs to see what actual time they are heating.
On my 3L engine, there is a temp sensor for the glow plug circuit under the inlet manifold, if it packs up it does not give power to the glow plugs.
Usually with a warm/hot engine this sensor inhibits the glow plug timing to 1 or 2 secs.
According to the manual the Variable Delay Type is 5 secs, the Fixed delay is 15-19.5 secs.
Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Clockman
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Glow plug time question.   Glow plug time question. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm

Thanks John, It's helpfull being able to compare notes here.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Glow plug time question.   Glow plug time question. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 10:28 pm

My light only stays on very briefly and runs very well.

Guess it just heats up quickly Exclamation
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

Number of posts : 200
Home City : Taunton, Somerset UK
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Glow plug time question.   Glow plug time question. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 10:24 pm

Not aware of a sensor as John's ref on the 2.4.
5-6 secs is good but allow slightly more in winter as there is a transistor coil set in the glow plug box. When you start and run the van, you should also hear the box click for a second time and in some cases the RPM increases, this is due to the unit still applying supply to the glow plugs (as I found when testing for why my former van used to have a habbit of doing this, and my intregness to find out why). This time laps is shorter the hotter the motor is.
Back to top Go down
Automaticman
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 65
Home City : Neston/Dubrovnik
Model and year : HIACE SUPER CUSTOM LIMITED

Registration date : 2014-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Glow plug time question.   Glow plug time question. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 11:30 pm

I don't get any light  Surprised 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glow plug time question.   Glow plug time question. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Glow plug time question.
Page 1 of 1