Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

campervan electrics

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
miniwini

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Cambridge
Model and year : Toyota Hiace 1994 2.7 Diesel automatic Reimo Campervan
Registration date : 2011-06-19

campervan electrics Empty
PostSubject: campervan electrics   campervan electrics Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi everyone
I just bought a 1994 Toyota Hiace Reimo Campervan with the 2.7 diesel engine and auto transmission. It was imported into the UK from Japan 6 months ago. There is a Elektromatic battery charger fitted in the rear and it is marked 100v - 50 MHz. Then 12v - 7a. Do I assume that this only takes a mains voltage supply from my house ( or campsite) of 110 volts? As we have 220 volts I presume I have to change it. The separate leisure battery is, I think, also charged from the engine alternator. I dont have a wiring diagram, so I assume that all the electric lights and fridge run off 12 volts. I would really like to find a Toyota wiring diagram for the whole vehicle. I hope someone can help. I want to deal with the essentials first, before considering what modifications I will do. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
tom

Number of posts : 8
Home City : hertfordshire
Registration date : 2011-11-13

PostSubject: Re: campervan electrics   campervan electrics Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:55 am

hi, we may be able to help each other here. i've just bought a hi ace camper and its 110volt. it came with a big yellow tranformer(reducer thingie). so if you haven't got one of those you probably need one.
with regard to your elektromatic battery charger, i haven't found one of these in my van, so could you be more specific with the description of wher exactly you found it. it could be that both items are the same thing. regards tom
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: campervan electrics   campervan electrics Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:30 pm

There are cheaper options...but look at the link below...Sterling are highly regarded if you have the spare change.
Maybe give their tech guys a ring?
http://sterling-power.com/products-chargers.htm
Back to top Go down
miniwini

PostSubject: campervan electrics   campervan electrics Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 5:49 pm

tom wrote:
hi, we may be able to help each other here. i've just bought a hi ace camper and its 110volt. it came with a big yellow tranformer(reducer thingie). so if you haven't got one of those you probably need one.
with regard to your elektromatic battery charger, i haven't found one of these in my van, so could you be more specific with the description of wher exactly you found it. it could be that both items are the same thing. regards tom

Hi Tom, sorry its been so long since I posted this.
I think the yellow transformer that you have does the same thing that my elektromatic does. It converts the mains hookup ( 110 volts in my case) to 12 volts DC, so that it charges the leisure battery when you are plugged into a mains supply. Now Poplar Motors in Chesterfeild can convert to 220 volts. They put a towbar on for me and did a good job and I can reccomend them. They are a bit far from us, so I thought I could do my own 110volt to 220 volt conversion. I thought just change the transformer from 110 volt input t0 220 volts. Its not quite that simple. I think it needs a knowledgeable electrician as it needs more than that. However, I alrready use a CTEK intelligent battery charger which can be left permanently connected to a battery, and will also de-sulphate a battery thats become very discharged. I think I can remove the elektromatic completely, install a CTEK in its place. Its quite small, around 15 cms long, so will create some room. (The elektromatic is in a lower cupboard under the 3 drawer unit). Then, as long as the mains feed only connects to that, I can have 12 volt DC in the van whilst hooked up, ans use the leisure battery when not. I thought possibly I can connect a 13 amp mains socket ( like a household one) in the van, connected to the mains input. Then when hooked up, can use that for any 220 volt AC device. I already have an inverter, which converts 12 volts DC to 220 volts AC, but it seems silly to convert from 220 volts AC to 12 volts DC and then to 220 volts AC - which does enebale you to use 220 volt AC devices from the battery, which will run it down quickly, Better to buy 12 volt devices and use them.
I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
miniwini

PostSubject: campervan electrics   campervan electrics Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 5:53 pm

chrisandhiace wrote:
There are cheaper options...but look at the link below...Sterling are highly regarded if you have the spare change.
Maybe give their tech guys a ring?
http://sterling-power.com/products-chargers.htm

Hi Chris sorry for huge delay in replying.

I already use a CTEK intelligent battery charger and thought I could install one of these in place of my elektromatic charger. As long as the mains hookup only feeds that, then ill get the lesuire battery charged whenever I hookup to mains. I have 12 volt DC devices which run fine from the battery, so dont actually need 220 volts AC in the van. Thanks for the link to Sterling, I think they do similar producte to the CTEK.
happy campervanning!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: campervan electrics   campervan electrics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

campervan electrics
Page 1 of 1