Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vegetable oil

Go down 
+6
Clive
Qulan
dandywarhol
ruffnut
chrisandhiace
mjphiace
10 posters
AuthorMessage
mjphiace
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 43
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 4WD LWB 2.8 Auto High Top Camper 1994
LH129V-ERPDS
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 pm

do/would you use vegetable oil in your 2.8 normally aspirated?

I have some used vegetable oi (only a few litres but every little helps). I am thinking if I filter it and use it about 50 to 1 or so in a tank full it will be fine. But what do I filter it with and where do I get the filter material from? How big is a Hiace fuel tank anyway? I get about 26mpg and when the warning light just comes on I get about 55 litres in the tank.

I have a friend who says he puts all sorts of rubbish in his citreon camper - mind you maybe thats why it didn't start in the cold weather! Not like my Hiace. Not used for a couple of weeks, a few seconds of heating and started first turn. cheers
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 pm

I used to do the same (ish) ....bit of asda veggie with a very small quantity of white spirit...feels smoother...quieter, quicker...much better. But I could'nt get the image of old cruddy chip pans out of my mind.
If it really was better it would be sold as an additive in auto shops....unable to work out if it was smart or not (looking on the internet) I gave it up...
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 12:45 am

the tank size is 70 ltr I don't know anything about veggie oil though
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Bumf here...................

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46433&p=472947&hilit=used+veg+oil#p472947
Back to top Go down
Qulan

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Whitehorse
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 12:21 am

Just found this forum. As to question about vegetable oil - small amount of veg oil can be added to the diesel tank or better yet - install a heated parallel veg oil fuel system. I did and have clocked 10s of thousands of kms using it as a free fuel for my 1990 Hiace.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 6:42 pm

I just used to let it settle for a few weeks and then syphon of the top 1/2 2/3's. 20 litre tubs semi see through with a bright light behind. All the left overs poured together minus any sludge/water and allowed to settle again.

Lots of filters out there but my way cost nothing.

Out of 200 litres from my local chippie I would get 150 or so that went straight in the tank.

Be very AWARE of using used oil with any transesterfied bio diesel can lead to big problems.
Back to top Go down
Qulan

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Whitehorse
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 8:09 pm

Clive, I was told suspended water and a significant amount of particulates that don't settle out could be a problem. The particulates would lead to more frequent fuel filter changes and suspended water will lead to injector pump damage. After settling, I heat the veg oil then put it through a centrifuge to remove suspended particulates and water. It fuels both my Hiace and 6 kw generator (I live off the grid).

Veg oil in my diesel tank clogs my diesel fuel filter on cold days (-35 C around here).
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 7:52 pm

I never had a problem, I'd add a liter of petrol, .I did leave it for 6 to 8 weeks though. Would still be doing it if I could lift 20 litres without pain.
When the oil went cloudy around -5 C it was time to add Diesel to avoid bad starting.
I did install a cheap disposable inline filter before the main one just in case, I got ten still got 5 or 6 after 6 years not a great problem as I say.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2020 8:50 am

On the subject of WVO and will your van run on it , yes it will I get mine from the local indian takeaway but be very careful to settle out the sludge and water for at least 3/4 weeks , then I pump mine through a 1 micron filter add 10% petrol mix thoroughly before putting it in the tank, also I have fitted an inline  strainer then  a electric lift pump plus the necessary  flat plate heater before the fuel filter. Plus a vacuum pressure gauge to monitor filter clogging . Must mention to check for water I do a hot pan test often, just a tea spoon in a very hot pan if it smokes with no spitting its OK ,I have so far not found any water. So far I have done 10,000 miles only down side apart from collecting and filtering is rough running after heater plugs cut out and until engine gets up to operating temp . I pay 20p a ltr for the WVO and am left with about 1/2 ltr sludge per 20ltr , the sludge goes on the compost heap to bio degrade the containers so far have gone to recycling. So to conclude although it has been far from trouble free learning about WVO I am happy to be doing approx 150 mpg at pump prices, any one thinking about going to use WVO there is loads of info on the web . Bus
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2020 11:37 am

An effective 150 mpg is rather good for a Hiace, or any vehicle!!!
Back to top Go down
LiamM
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 1992 Super custom limited
3L
Registration date : 2017-01-22

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2021 8:55 pm

I've been doing veggie oil for 4 years. I haven't had a problem and have had a look in my injector pump and fuel tank - both were glistening clean.

The key is to get good oil. I lucked out and have a supplier that gets his oil from a catering outfit (they only cook with the oil once, therefore there's minimal acidity and salts in it). He runs it through an industrial centrifuge, it comes out looking like new canola.

I do a blend of 85% veg, 10% gas, 5% ethanol in summer. In winter I mix in more diesel. I like the blend vs. heat because the solvents seem to keep the fuel system clean. My injector pump was previously leaking from running straight low sulfer diesel, but the veggie lubrication + ethanol swelled the seals and keep the leaks away. Eventually the old rubber seals might degrade from the ethanol but they were already dried up and sad.

I would recommend taking off the fuel tank and cleaning it before running veg (vs. running an inline filter) since the veg will clean out all the crud and you're van will die at random due to clogged filters.

I ran a bigger fuel line that is biofuel friendly to make things easier for the pump - the injector on the 3L engine (i'm not sure if it's the same for other engines) is known to be really good for running veg.

Back to top Go down
AM Camper
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 26
Home City : Reading
Model and year : 1997 Hiace Campervan 2.8 diesel poptop AM Craft
Registration date : 2017-12-26

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Warm weather for making biodiesel   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 7:25 am

I have been making my own biodiesel for about 6 years. I use a 200 litre oil drum. Fill it half to 3 quaters full of used vegetable oil, heat it up to luke warm temp (after filtering off big bits of leftover food in oil). Then add 25 litres of methanol that is mixed with about 4 x cups of potasium hydroxide. METHANOL IS DANGEROUS, and has a very low combustion point. Potassium Hydroxide is also toxic and an irratant to skin. You need to wear protective clothing and goggles. Best to do in summer months. Read up first. Look on youtube. Try a small scale experiment first. If it ends up looking like burnt porridge then the mix didn't work. Might need settling for a day or two. or more methanol/sodium (mix) added. Skim the big lumps off with sieve and let it settle.My advice is only use in hot weather, and when you are going on long journey so it's through system quickly. Mix with ordinary diesel if you are worried about the quality. But visual checks should be enough to tell you if the biodiesel is soapy or water is still present. Yes you use a garden centre fine water pump spray or a hose with fine spray nozzle to WASH away impurities with water that sinks and seperates oil from water, taking all the soapy bits away. (do this several times)
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 8:09 am

Crafty you explain perfectly why I run on WVO as opposed to making bio diesel , the IDI engines run really on WVO DI engines will gum the piston rings. WVO is all about settling then filtering and in the vehicle having a FPHE to heat the oil to reduce viscosity ad as I found curing fuel starvation. It has been proved in the past you can run a diesel on Lard if you get it hot.
Back to top Go down
AM Camper
Not so new now
Not so new now

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 am

"Indirect Engines" run really well on "Waste Vegetable Oil" but if you are using unprocessed and therefore unfiltered (to certain degree) WVO, it would mean problems with filters, pipes and hoses ect, wouldn't it? I understood that Biodiesel processing adds extra filtering and purity. Although I can believe with these old fashion engines it would be ok. When biodiesel processing is completed the diesel looks clear like cider and is not cloudy like scrumpy and is very fluid. P.S. Just read your post above explaining your methods. Looks reliable.

Last edited by Crafty on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just seen above explanation of your methods.)
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 10:24 am

Many run there old Toyota engines on 100% wvo which the more modern electronic DI versions cannot tolerate , as far as I can tell its all about viscosity and fuel starvation (had to warm up the engine this morning minus 2 deg before it would run perfect) . The new engines produced today will NEVER be able to run vedg oil and may not last long on home made bio diesel as the consistency could vary. I have a vw golf 1.9 tdi on 50/50 diesel wvo runs like a clock doe 65 mpg its a 04 redg and very much a disposable car (for sale actually) only bought it to experiment.
Back to top Go down
AM Camper
Not so new now
Not so new now

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 12:02 pm

I bought one of those cheap chinese diesel heaters (£84). And it has run fine with the biodiesel I made. I was thinking about fitting it indoors this winter as my central heating had packed in and didn't want to get a gas engineer in with Covid peaking. Would have been expensive too, £3k with radiators that needed replacing...So I might get a stainless steel box that can fit a heater and 12v battery and drill through a wall to feed hot air from portable heater. With biodiesel there are no toxic fumes I''m aware of so smell of cooking oil shouldn't offend the neighbours too much. Just a bit of smoke on start-up. The only danger then, *if you are using biodiesel* is the heat coming from the exhaust, which can be lagged and isolated by non flammable materials or ducts. Thinking of an outside set up and not indoors because of fire risk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vegetable oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Vegetable oil Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vegetable oil
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General :: General chat-
Jump to: