Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tech ques...probably a daft one!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gsxr-jonesy

Number of posts : 16
Home City : surbiton
Model and year : 92 Camper
Registration date : 2008-04-02

tech ques...probably a daft one! Empty
PostSubject: tech ques...probably a daft one!   tech ques...probably a daft one! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 2:25 pm

hi all

i thought i had a blow on the front pipe of my hiace camper, and got underneath to have a look.
it turns out the blowing sound is actually coming from a plastic bottle, located next to what i think it the air filter (didn't undo to verify as i was in a rush).
the plastic bottle in question sits right underneath the drivers seat, down by the sill near the drivers front wheel.
the bottle is cracked, making a blowing sound.
as standard the bottle has two breathers in it, with two rubber breathers.
question is, what is this bottle for???
i'm guessing it something to do with air flow, but can't think for the life of me what it is!

thanks

nick
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: tech ques...probably a daft one!   tech ques...probably a daft one! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Its a 'helmholtz resonator'.....don't know why its there...something about balancing air pressure or something...don't really understand myself, but some other cars have the same/similar principle applied to the air filter box
Be interesting to hear if anyone has just run with a bolt on filter
Unlikely its cracked...but whether it is or not it makes a lot of noise
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: tech ques...probably a daft one!   tech ques...probably a daft one! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 6:01 pm

There are splits in the rubber bungs to allow you to drain any collected watter (like fording 1 metre streams Cool
just squeeze the bungs - there tends to be a whistling noise rom them past the splits - seems normal
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced
entwistlea

Number of posts : 324
Home City : Sandhurst, UK
Model and year : 1996 Super Custom Ltd. 3.0 TDI EFI
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: tech ques...probably a daft one!   tech ques...probably a daft one! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 4:41 pm

can you repair the split with some tape? doesn;t sound like its pressured, so this would prob work?
Back to top Go down
http://www.hpi.co.uk
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo

PostSubject: Re: tech ques...probably a daft one!   tech ques...probably a daft one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 2:44 pm

The splits are there to allow moisture out and not in - I would leave them alone unless they're damaged
Back to top Go down
gsxr-jonesy

Number of posts : 16
Home City : surbiton
Model and year : 92 Camper
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: tech ques...probably a daft one!   tech ques...probably a daft one! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 12:37 pm

thanks chaps

it is definitielt cracked. looks like it's been banged at some piint, and its split right along the seam.
i've done 20,000 miles with it like that, and it's always passed MOT's....so it doesn;t seem to be problematic, i was just scratching my head as to what it was and what it is there for!

regards

nick

Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: tech ques...probably a daft one!   tech ques...probably a daft one! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:18 pm

just seal up the split with fibre glass or even gaffer tape.
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

PostSubject: Re: tech ques...probably a daft one!   tech ques...probably a daft one! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Sorry, I didn't read the post properly - didn't realise the actual tank was split.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tech ques...probably a daft one!   tech ques...probably a daft one! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tech ques...probably a daft one!
Page 1 of 1