Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello from newbie

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Uglee
Uglee

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Leigh,lancs,England
Model and year : Super GL yokohama camper conversion 2.8 1994
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Hello from newbie Empty
PostSubject: Hello from newbie   Hello from newbie Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi everyone. I am currently in the process of selling my mazda bongo to upgrade to a bigger camper .The toyota seems to tick all the boxes. having owned the bongo for 3 years now I am well aware of the virtues of jap imports, super reliable, better spec etc.

so i would be grateful for some advice on potential problems to look out for when buying , which model to lookout for etc.

Cheers Lee.
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
Im not old...just experienced
entwistlea

Number of posts : 324
Home City : Sandhurst, UK
Model and year : 1996 Super Custom Ltd. 3.0 TDI EFI
Registration date : 2009-09-19

Hello from newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from newbie   Hello from newbie Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 10:08 pm

Welcome Lee, plenty of advice on here, lots of threads about what models. genaral view is to go for the 3.0l engine and unless you really need it, 2wd will be better for your economy....

Pretty reliable beasts really, but check compression in the 2.8 as i've heard the head can crack and make sure the suspension works ok, particularly if it has TEMS....

Bit like the bongo, most bits are shared with other models, its just rim thats the problem...
Back to top Go down
http://www.hpi.co.uk
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

Number of posts : 188
Home City : paisley
Model and year : VW TRANSPORTER T5 LWB poptop camper
Registration date : 2007-11-17

Hello from newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from newbie   Hello from newbie Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Quote :
Pretty reliable beasts really, but check compression in the 2.8 as i've heard the head can crack and make sure the suspension works ok, particularly if it has TEMS....

the problomatic head is fitted to the 2.4 (similiar to the bongos problems ).... Laughing had mine 2 n half years ..just passed its 2nd mot requiring nothing...used to have a converted bongo myself but its far to small to be of any real use as a camper ...hiace is seriously better...
Back to top Go down
fasteddie
Not so new now
Not so new now
fasteddie

Number of posts : 60
Home City : Nr Birmingham UK
Model and year : 1994 2.8 LWB Super Custom Limited campervan
Registration date : 2007-03-23

Hello from newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from newbie   Hello from newbie Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 11:00 am

Hello Jim,
I've had my 2.8 LWB camper for 6 yrs now and apart from consumables like tyres and exhaust which has been replaced by a stainless one, it's always flown through the MOT. If you want a real improvement in room over the Bongo then seek the LWB model. There's one been put up for sale in the past few days elsewhere in these forums
Back to top Go down
Uglee
Uglee

Hello from newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from newbie   Hello from newbie Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks guys, I think mymind is definitely made up now, a lwb with a hi top is what im after as we have 2 small kids hence the need to ditch the bongo. I just have to find the right one now!
excuse my ignorance but what is TEMS?
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
entwistlea

Number of posts : 324
Home City : Sandhurst, UK
Model and year : 1996 Super Custom Ltd. 3.0 TDI EFI
Registration date : 2009-09-19

Hello from newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from newbie   Hello from newbie Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 8:16 pm

jimsmim wrote:
Quote :

the problomatic head is fitted to the 2.4 (similiar to the bongos problems ).... Laughing had mine 2 n half years ..just passed its 2nd mot requiring nothing...used to have a converted bongo myself but its far to small to be of any real use as a camper ...hiace is seriously better...

Sorry Jim, meant 2.4.... consider me suitably chastised Very Happy

TEMS, its electronically adjustable suspension, adjusts firmer when needed, very trick bit of kit for a big bus !
Back to top Go down
http://www.hpi.co.uk
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

Number of posts : 188
Home City : paisley
Model and year : VW TRANSPORTER T5 LWB poptop camper
Registration date : 2007-11-17

Hello from newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from newbie   Hello from newbie Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Quote :
Thanks guys, I think mymind is definitely made up now, a lwb with a hi top is what im after as we have 2 small kids hence the need to ditch the bongo. I just have to find the right one now!
excuse my ignorance but what is TEMS?

better check out one first ... the roof space bed in a high top can feel a bit claustrophobic ...nothing like the roof space in a bongo as the roof on the AFT goes up really high, even my pop top which is longer still feels somewhat cramped compared to the bongos....though you are inside the van unlike in the poptop which feels more tent like... .... I have a large cover that came with mine which slips over the top for added insulation on cold nights... Laughing .....best thing is to see a few before deciding what suits you as there are so many different conversions around .... probably worth visiting these guys for a sniff around to see whats out there... http://www.poplarmotors.co.uk/

or a6 motors in stockport who advertise under" kings valley car supermarket" on ebay...both of these dealers usually carry a large stock of hiaces....
Back to top Go down
Uglee
Uglee

Hello from newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from newbie   Hello from newbie Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:50 pm

I was thinking to go visit poplar motors looks like he can get pretty much anything. i will have a butchers at kings valley too.

Once again thanks for the info, youve all been really helpful. Its great that this forum exists and you have somewhere to ask questions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello from newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from newbie   Hello from newbie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from newbie
Page 1 of 1