Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hiace front suspension

Go down 
+4
dandywarhol
AussieQ
Clive
falcon9810
8 posters
AuthorMessage
falcon9810

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Kampala
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Hiace front suspension Empty
PostSubject: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:00 pm

My front suspension is "popping" and seems very loose. I've put in new shocks but can't find any information about replacing the main suspension parts. There are no springs, so does it have torsion bars?? If so can you replace with heavy duty? I live in Africa so the van does a lot of unimproved roads. Any ideas? Does anyone have a good website for parts/service manual for the Hiace?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 9:41 pm

Torsion springs.
Upper and lower steering knuckle ball joints and the inner end bushing can wear. All replaceable.
You need to get the suspension looked at for any movement.
Back to top Go down
falcon9810

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Kampala
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 9:13 pm

That's what I thought. Just couldn't find a parts manual to confirm and my mechanic didn't suggest anything. Many thanks for the feedback!
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 10:52 pm

HAve a look here mate for all parts. It wont help you find the parts but at least you know what you are looking for

http://www.toyodiy.com/

Welcome to the forum
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 1:53 am

Does anyone know of a motor factor/supplier of an upper wishbone for a '94 4WD LH129 hiace?

Do any of the UK spec Powervan ones fit?
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 11:41 am

Toyota should supply...
You'll notice a 10mm? bolt on top of the upper ball joint....this can be unscrewed, temporarily replaced with a grease nipple and a pump of grease added to the joint. Do it with the vehicle jacked up to allow the grease to fill any void in the upper joint
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 11:02 am

Thanks chris - already did that -
I've ordered a new one from Toyota - almost £300! Fortunately the company who passed it as safe at the MOT test are contributing heavily towards it when - fair play to them, the Motor Trade has taken a fair bit of knocks but this company have come up trumps - thumbs up to Crosbie and Bateman in Kirkcudbright in Dumfries & Galloway.
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Hmmm interesting Sleep
I have installed grease nipples on these as well, prevention better than cure. Although i have noticed a thud sound if i steer the van side to side or if i go over rough ground, its like a delayed thud as the weight of the van shifts? The CV's are good and wheel bearings seem ok, Its been like it for about a year now but got worse to the point where i gotta fix it before i go crazy! What a Face Thought it might even be in the steering rack? But cant really feel it on the wheel that much? Will jack it up on the weekend and have a proper Captain Cook i think. I did notice that the front sway bar rubbers are looking pretty sad but shouldn't cause the noise i hear. Any one had anything like that? Shocked
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
Im not old...just experienced
entwistlea

Number of posts : 324
Home City : Sandhurst, UK
Model and year : 1996 Super Custom Ltd. 3.0 TDI EFI
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 8:12 pm

i'd go with perished bushes ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.hpi.co.uk
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 12:32 am

Mine makes 'squelchy noises' when it 'bounces' round corners....not sure why...
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
entwistlea

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 8:10 pm

hmm, either you're sitting on your sandwiches or it could be shocks are leaking and on their way out ?
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Yes, I do peer at them periodically for signs of leakage...but nothing yet. Can't make it squelchy by rocking it stationary.
Maybe its the shocks... or the bushes squeeking in the anti roll...maybe the rubber stop bottoming out on the lower wishbone...time will tell I suppose Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
entwistlea

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 9:03 pm

worth giving it all a decent squirt with some lubricating fluid ?
Back to top Go down
CherrySloth
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 21
Home City : New Zealand
Model and year : 1994 3LTD 1KZ Super Custom Limited.
Registration date : 2021-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2021 10:13 am

Did you find the issue anyone?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiace front suspension   Hiace front suspension Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiace front suspension
Page 1 of 1