Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear fog light

Go down 
+2
jimsmim
fasteddie
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fasteddie
Not so new now
Not so new now
fasteddie

Number of posts : 60
Home City : Nr Birmingham UK
Model and year : 1994 2.8 LWB Super Custom Limited campervan
Registration date : 2007-03-23

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Before the tailgate and rear bumper are finished being tidied and painted I'm trying to find a neater solution for the rear fog light.

Like many of us I have the untidy looking under bumper after market item which I've involuntarily removed on more than one occasion when squeezing the length of my LWB SC into short parking spaces terminated by a grassy bank. I'm wondering if anyone improved on the under bumper item in terms of appearance?

I’m currently looking at 3 possible options to tidy this up.

1. To find a neat and tidy low profile surface mount rear fog lamp that will mount on the bumper without sticking out too much.

2. To find a suitable rear fog light that will mount into the bumper.

3. And my favourite option so far is to re wire the large lights across the tailgate so what is now the secondary brake lights already fitted with 21w bulbs become the rear fog lights. I know we don't need to retain them as brake lights as the standard light clusters have brake lights and of course the standard delivery van doesn't have the extra light clusters across the door. Has anyone else done this? Does it meet current regulations?

Has anyone else got any other suggestions for making a neater looking rear fog light?
Back to top Go down
fasteddie
Not so new now
Not so new now
fasteddie

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:42 pm

I've found the answer to my own question about converting the tailgate light clusters and I've posted the regs here for anyone else who might be interested.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_16.htm

As far as I can see the regs say that I can make the tailgate clusters into rear fog lamps. Does everyone agree with this or have I overlooked something?
Back to top Go down
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

Number of posts : 188
Home City : paisley
Model and year : VW TRANSPORTER T5 LWB poptop camper
Registration date : 2007-11-17

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:54 am

my old bongo had one of the reversing lights converted to a fog light but you can also get flush mounting fog lights of ebay .. [url] http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rear-Fog-Light-for-FLUSH-FIT_W0QQitemZ320474561617QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4a9dc5bc51[/url]
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:00 am

I'm suprised there is no requirement on wattage and intensity.........
Thats quite a range of choice for fitting....myself I think I'd rather have the extra brake lights for safety reasons (how often do we really use fog lights)...wonder what a round fog light mounted in the centre of the bumper would be like...ala cyclops.....
Back to top Go down
fasteddie
Not so new now
Not so new now
fasteddie

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks for the link Jimsmim, I'll check it out now.

I too was very surprised at the lack of requirments for wattage and intensity Chris. I'd have thought it would be a requirement the rear fog light be much brighter than the normal tail lights so I'm not sure that the regs make any sense in that respect.

I think centre bumper mounted would look cool and balanced but I'm unable to do that as mine incorporates a step.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 11:30 pm

My Townace had the tailgate brake lights wired to be fogs, the tailgate tail lights stayed as tail lights - passed 5 MoTs like that.
My Hiace has one recessed into the bumper.
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
Im not old...just experienced
entwistlea

Number of posts : 324
Home City : Sandhurst, UK
Model and year : 1996 Super Custom Ltd. 3.0 TDI EFI
Registration date : 2009-09-19

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 7:30 am

i'm planning on wiring up the off side reversing light and putting a red bulb in, no extra nasty cheap lights, nice and smooth. Strangely enough i don;t currently have a fog lamp, suggesting the MOT it got wasn't very thorough.....

i also managed to buy a fog lamp switch off flea bay from a camry / corolla / mr2, which fits the blank, matches the rest and has a built in warning light...
Back to top Go down
http://www.hpi.co.uk
fasteddie
Not so new now
Not so new now
fasteddie

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 9:49 pm

entwistlea wrote:
managed to buy a fog lamp switch off flea bay from a camry / corolla / mr2, which fits the blank, matches the rest and has a built in warning light...

Great tip. I've been looking for a switch for ages.
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
entwistlea

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:30 am

can post a pic if you need it
Back to top Go down
fasteddie
Not so new now
Not so new now
fasteddie

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 10:34 am

entwistlea wrote:
can post a pic if you need it

Would be good to see . I think I found one on ebay and bought it anyway as it was buy it now of 99p Some people wanted £12.99 as a used item!

Is this the same as your's?

Rear fog light 4318604294_8f41d1a4f9_o

I also need a couple of blanks as the previous owner was very handy with a drill Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
entwistlea

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 10:38 am

not quite the same switch, this looks like a rocker switch, mine is a push, but looks the same size, so should fit....
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
entwistlea

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 10:46 am

[img]Rear fog light Switch10

This is the one i got
Back to top Go down
fasteddie
Not so new now
Not so new now
fasteddie

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 8:04 pm

I think I like the look of yours better but to be honest if the one I bought fits in the cut out I'll be happy. The generic switch I'm already using has a red light on it like Blackpool illuminations and when I'm using the rear fog I'm sure my bus must look like it's being driven by Dracula lol
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
entwistlea

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:39 pm

they look the same size, i fitted mine in one of the blans to the right of the cluster, just above the key...

just got to finish the wiring now :-)
Back to top Go down
fasteddie
Not so new now
Not so new now
fasteddie

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:39 pm

My fog light switch arrived today. A lovely little item and a bargain for only 99p! However I misread the title on ebay and it's a front not a rear fog light switch Sad Not to worry I'll use it when I get some nice big driving lights for the front. Looks like a trip to the local breakers yard at the weekend to find one.
Back to top Go down
fasteddie
Not so new now
Not so new now
fasteddie

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:41 pm

entwistlea wrote:
[img]Rear fog light Switch10

This is the one i got

I spotted one like that on ebay. Is that a little light just below the graphic?
Back to top Go down
fhammer
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 25
Home City : Melbourne, Australia
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:41 am

I want to mount a 100w strobe at the back - that should take care of any tailgaters Twisted Evil

What switch would you recommend Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
entwistlea

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:37 pm

yep, its got a built in tell tale, so all ok for mot
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear fog light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear fog light   Rear fog light Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear fog light
Page 1 of 1