Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Not a real 4wd

Go down 
+4
srburnsy
AussieQ
entwistlea
ZrxMick
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TSN.OOZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
TSN.OOZ

Number of posts : 106
Home City : East Corrimal
Model and year : '95 Super Custom Limited AWD 3L TD
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Not a real 4wd - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not a real 4wd   Not a real 4wd - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 5:26 am

Yeah,more sandy than anything(cause it runs parallel to the beach most of the way) I wasn't stressing so hard this time cause I was following a couple of other 4x4s so I didn't have to get out the waders. Last time I went through in the kombi there was no one else around and waves of water were coming in the windows!!! (granted I was fair pegging it in case I got stuck) Razz
Lift and lockers!!! yeah That's the plan...
I need some more overtime!!! Wink

Even with a 4" lift I don't think I'll be able to get any bigger than 29"s in those wheel arches.
Not without firing up the gas-Axe and I've been there done that so not too keen to go back there any time soon... clown
What are you running on yours at the moment with the 2.5" lift? It looks heaps better with some chunkier rubber! did you have to replace the shockies at all?
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Not a real 4wd   Not a real 4wd - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 6:11 am

I got 225/70/15 AT's before i lifted her... could prob go slightly bigger next time round. So yeah i kept the rear shocks standard and replace the front shocks because one was leaking. I will eventually replace the rear ones because they seem to be topping out quite a bit over large bumps.

I was looking on line at the POWERTRAX NO SLIP lockers, they seems ok and alot cheaper than air lockers, but not sure if thats the way to go. Suspect
Back to top Go down
TSN.OOZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
TSN.OOZ

PostSubject: Re: Not a real 4wd   Not a real 4wd - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 7:47 am

27.4"... Bigger! Bigger! With the Tyres That is!
I'd personally stay away from an auto locker(Detroit/Lock Right etc) from what I've read but these don't seam quite so bad after a brief read... You're still going to get the usual problems I think.Even if it's not as bad.
Under-steer/Tyre wear/Torque transfer more stress on the drive train heading down the shops.
Just my opinion after a quick read anyway...
Here's an Idea?
Gettem and let me know how they go!!! lol!
Air Lockers are my fav's... No hidden surprises! affraid
If they fit in the Kombi box I probably wouldn't have the SC.....maybe! Question
Back to top Go down
TSN.OOZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
TSN.OOZ

PostSubject: Re: Not a real 4wd   Not a real 4wd - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 7:48 am

Oh yeah, This might be handy for some...
http://1970mgr.org/_Tiresizes.htm
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

PostSubject: Re: Not a real 4wd   Not a real 4wd - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Ok handy to have!

I know there was someone who fitted 235/75/15 - 28.9'' on but had to adjust the turn stoppers and hammer out part of the wheel arch to stop it rubbing. affraid
I wont be going to that extreme, but will try the 235/70/15 - 28'' when its time to change rubber. Wink
So yeah i do share your concerns about running those auto lockers, prob best to just save up and do it right with the air lockers hay cheers

Anyhow you prob know all about 4wdSC's limitations buy now but for any one that wants to know here it is!! Along the way i worked out some of the limitations of my full time 4wd SC and found that it's indeed very limited when the going gets rough, obvious then was the lack of ground clearance that will always be a bit of a factor, but the real let down is the viscus center transfer that CAN'T be locked and wont allow equal drive to the front set and rear set of wheels once one wheel slips, just chain driven transfer viscous coupling! Yes it does provide some drive, someone suggested i jack one of the front wheels up and and try to see if i could drive off the jack and into my garage door! ha! The viscous coupling does actually sort of lock up and wants to drive off the jack with a small amount of force to the rear wheels but the wheel in the air gets most of the drive so in the real world it's not going to take too much to stop you in your tracks. Some SC's have a limited slip rear diff that can help in some instances but nothing beats those early SC's that have part time 4x4 (manual locking front hubs) 50/50 equal torque to the front and rear wheels while in 4x4 mode, but the down side is it can't be used on sealed road in 4x4 mode unlike the full time version. Some see this as a advantage in using less fuel.
affraid
I will say though how surprising my FT 4wdSC it is on some tracks and where it has got me, it loves the steep loose up hill climbs, not so good on the down though better ground clearance has helped with less scraping now, and is also better for on the beach, but don't kid yourself, you will get stuck if you venture too much beyond, make sure you have someone around to pull you out if you do. Shocked
I will eventually get front and rear lockers that will make it alot more capable and should get me onto a few more beaches in future, the ones with soft sand. Wink
Sorry to dribble on Sleep
Back to top Go down
TSN.OOZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
TSN.OOZ

PostSubject: Re: Not a real 4wd   Not a real 4wd - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:57 pm

Yeah my work mate brought in a spare 275/70/15 I think it was,and a 2 pound hammer suggesting the same thing... He knows what I'm like! clown
Autos generally are not so good heading down steep sections unless you've got a brand spanker with all the bells and whistles like a descent button and traction control and all that jazz... But hey, They're better on the beach and that's what we want right? Very Happy

So if you've got a locker on the rear and spinning both wheels a front locker isn't going to be all that beneficial because the transfer case is still sending most of the drive to the rear? Interesting.
Obviously still be better than nothing though. It just depends on $$$ spent VS Gains.
I don't think I could get one without the other though...

Less fuel??? these thing are great! I had a 2L Kombi for about 12 Years...If I wanted to use less fuel I would of bought an echo! lol!

Just looking at this type of transfer setup and reading figures of 35%Front and 65% Rear. If it's anywhere near that then a front locker would still be a justified purchase Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

PostSubject: Re: Not a real 4wd   Not a real 4wd - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 5:02 am

Yeah your right if loss of traction on front or rear you stop. But the lockers will give us one extra wheel in traction in both situations than what we have now. So for sure just keep saving $$ - do some cashies you lazy sparky! bounce lol!
Back to top Go down
grillzey

Number of posts : 1
Home City : adelaide
Registration date : 2012-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Not a real 4wd   Not a real 4wd - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 4:41 am

hey fellas,

I'm looking atbuyin a super custom 4wd.

I've noticed not all of them are 4wd? is there a way to tell easily?

Also,

are they any good as a 4wd? as good as a Delica?

if so I'm keen. do they need a lift kit maybe?

the delicas are built on pajero stuff, what about customs?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Not a real 4wd   Not a real 4wd - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 7:40 pm

grillzey wrote:
hey fellas,

I'm looking atbuyin a super custom 4wd.

I've noticed not all of them are 4wd? is there a way to tell easily?

Also,

are they any good as a 4wd? as good as a Delica?

if so I'm keen. do they need a lift kit maybe?

the delicas are built on pajero stuff, what about customs?

Cheers

Not seen any replies, yet, so I'll pitch in with my 2 euro cents worth(!).

I don't know how easily you can tell if they are 4x4.... Note that earlier ones are part time 4wd, with manually locking front hubs and low-ratio transfer cases. Later models are AWD- with a viscous coupling and permanent four wheel drive. They are quite different! The later AWD system is good for slippy roads and gravel but not so good for when things get more gnarly. The part-time 4WD system is similar to a HiLux pickup and gives you low ratio for rough tracks and mud along with a LOCKED front to rear driveshaft.

The limiting factor is ground clearance, though, which isn't great in any of them. You can lift the suspension and fit bigger wheels, as some on here have- see earlier in this thread and others.

The Delica is (I believe) more of an off-roader but the highway performance is compromised.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
W>
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not a real 4wd   Not a real 4wd - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not a real 4wd
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General :: General chat-