Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications

Go down 
+2
g00se
p3et
6 posters
AuthorMessage
p3et

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Aschersleben
Model and year : 1992 Super Custom Limited 4WD
Registration date : 2024-02-07

Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications Empty
PostSubject: Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications   Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2024 4:47 pm

Hiya.

I'm currently importing a 1992 Super Custom 4WD to Germany and aiming a so-called historical registration. This saves a lot of tax and and allows you to enter low emission zones.

However, it is not permitted to modify your vehicle unless you bring a proof that these modifications were ¨common" in the first 10 years of its lifetime. A common proof are magazines or brochures of modifiers. Also photos that undoubtedly date back would work. Please don´t laugh but that is seriously the law and its application here Very Happy

In my case I need documentation from 2002 or earlier that shows a lifted Super Custom 4WD with larger than stock A/T tires. Country does not matter.

So, I'd be super happy if somebody would share something like this with me Smile
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 278
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications   Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2024 4:57 pm

Hi - just a thought, there's a facebook group called Toyota HiaceTechnical Australia that's administered by a mechanic that knows an awful lot about lift kits and also supplies modification components. Most of the stuff he does now is for the H200 version, but he may have details of pre 2002 H100 lift kits.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications   Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 6:33 am

Super Customs were very rare here in New Zealand pre 2002 and even rarer in Australia (if they had them at all). They were not sold new there nor here.
But I have seen many modifications in Japan with all sorts of wheels and lifts. Snow tracks on all 4 wheels is not uncommon in snow areas (central mountain ski areas and far north & Hokkaido)
My advice would be to find someone who is fluent in Japanese to get onto Japanese forums or sites. There are and were definitely magazines dedicated to everything Hiace and 4WD so there should definitely be pictures online. If you can seach in Japanese.
I have on my bookshelf magazines and brochures dedicated to modifications and parts for the Mitsubishi Delica D5. Delica Life.
Back to top Go down
Hiace Hobo
Not so new now
Not so new now
Hiace Hobo

Number of posts : 27
Home City : North West UK
Model and year : Super Custom Hiace
2.8 auto 4x4 1993 2.8 3L Turbo engine
Lifted 2" | 16" wheels | Stainless Exhaust
Camper Yokohama conversion
Registration date : 2012-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications   Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 7:48 am

To be honest it'll be hard to find anything from that long ago. When I did mine in 2014/15 there was nothing to copy online, and they were not even importing them to the US yet where lifting them became more common.
Back to top Go down
willyw
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 21
Home City : Sunshine Coast
Registration date : 2014-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications   Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 12:45 pm

ask here https://www.facebook.com/groups/652397061524079/ 100系 ハイエース  (100 series Hiace) be prepared to get no answer. Post a photo in your post to generate interest.

You will be looking for a Japanese Hiace magazine of the 1992 to 2002 era. I have a 2002 magazine, it's vol 31 that shows very few photos of earlier models, mostly lowered, but maybe a couple of lifted from the 1992 era mainly from custom builders who list there parts available, in some cases with phone numbers, address etc. I paid good money for that magazine and would need to be rewarded for any of my time and effort, yes that goes against the willingnes to help that I have provided before, but I don't really have time to spare at moment.

How much are you saving on taxes?
Back to top Go down
p3et

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Aschersleben
Model and year : 1992 Super Custom Limited 4WD
Registration date : 2024-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications   Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 3:24 pm

Thanks for all you answers so far Smile

I think Pete_nz is right. Modding them Down Under may have not been started before they became available second hand. So looking to Japan might be the best shot. An indeed I have two friends who know Japanese people. Will ask the to forward my request.

And willyw. If you want to know it in detail it would about an annual tax of $1000 regular, $450 camper conversion and $200 historic vehicle. But more important will be the access to low emission zones which will only work with historic registration. So if you really have what I need I think we meet somewhere Smile.

However, before I spend money on that I must find a lift kit that will be legal to install. There must be part numbers and a technical report that says it'll be safe.

Finally, I might end up like many other modders in Germany. Just mounting the parts illegally and hoping that nobody cares Very Happy I'll keep you updated!
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications   Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 6:10 pm

Hello p3et

While Toyota obviously made the H100 series I think many were finished on behalf of Toyota by other companies. My van, a CC camper (for pictures and wider details and link, see my Show us Yours page) was outfitted after it left the Toyota plant (I think in Yokohama), by Toyota Technocraft Ltd (TRD), but I can’t find any contact details for them via their website. It’s possible they might have a filing cabinet full of old info or an archive in a display case, but I don’t know.

A possibly useful link is here:
https://www.toyota-cd.co.jp/english/aboutus/history/

Here’s a tree diagram of Toyota vehicles, which might be helpful:
https://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/75years/vehicle_lineage/pdf/vehiclelineage.pdf

I’ve used Google to translate all the paperwork I have for my van, but it doesn’t reveal anything much about provenance or choices made in the design and fit out. It’d be great to find out more, if you’re able to get further info.

I would also suggest contacting both:
https://www.ottoex.com/
https://www.vanlifenorthwest.com/

and any of the other companies that might know these vehicles in Japan. There are a few other companies that source vehicles in Japan and advertise on youtube. I’ve seen some of these videos where people read from auction cards and the like in Japanese so they seem to know the language and probably know more about the JDM history. Many of these companies are on the US Pacific coast.

Good luck with your endeavours!

HTH!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications   Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for historical documents of Hiace 4WD modifications
Page 1 of 1