Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel filter

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JonlyDonly

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Portland
Registration date : 2023-08-23

Fuel filter  Empty
PostSubject: Fuel filter    Fuel filter  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 10:10 pm

Any tips about changing out fuel filter on a 1995 diesel hiace lh129
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Fuel filter  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel filter    Fuel filter  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 10:00 pm

Hello JonltDonly

The fuel filter isn’t a particularly difficult part to replace. Here’s a few things to possibly bear in mind.

Cleanliness within the diesel fuel system is very important.

On vans with the ‘L’ engines fuel is drawn to the engine (to the engine fuel pump) via the filter under suction from the tank. So, the injection pump draws fuel from the tank and any leakage with the system between the tank and the pump will generally allow air in and generate an air block, rather than leak fuel.

In use, excess fuel (at high engine speed but low fuel demand, such as on over-run) is returned to the tank. This isn’t relevant for the filter but useful to know.

I’d recommend draining off any water in the filter before changing it.

Once you have cracked the O-rings on the filter it may spill fuel or allow air in. If this matters, have some rags and containers handy.

You can loosen the filter from the primer top part and then remove the whole lot from the van (keep the hoses intact) if this gives you more room to change the filter.

If the hoses look cracked then replace them. Constant tension clamps (the original ones) are good and would be my preference worm drive clamps.

There is, or should be, a water warning float and wiring at the bottom of the fuel filter (the light is in the instruments). Do check this is working properly as part of the filter swap.

You can (I may) pre-fill the new filter but this could get messy and it should not be necessary.

After swapping the filter you will need to prime the system. Just cranking with the injector return pipes cranked open won’t likely work (at all). Also, the injector pump is lubricated by diesel so don’t run it ‘dry’ any longer that you absolutely have to.

Your pump head should work fine, but it may not. The pump head has one-way valves, which might get upset or the diaphragm can fail. If the head has issues it can make it hard to prime the system. I re-set the one-way vales on mine by submerging the pump head on a tub of diesel and pumping away.

Hmm, seems there are a few pointers!

Good luck and this isn’t too difficult so don’t over think it!
Back to top Go down
JonlyDonly

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Portland
Registration date : 2023-08-23

Fuel filter  Empty
PostSubject: Thanks for replying    Fuel filter  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2024 7:40 pm

When I got this vehicle, I had no idea how hard it was to get people to work on it and get parts. I've been wrong so many times trying to figure out what's wrong. I finally found some good people and Van Life. Northwest in Portland Oregon, and they show me the fuel filter was not my problem. It was a alternator and they have one in stock and help me with it but like.
With everything else with this thing the filter sounds too complicated for a novice mechanic such as myself. I recommend anybody thinking of getting one of these vehicles be ready to work on it yourself or have someone already in mind? I love my LH129v but it's a learning curve I'm finally getting some grip on things. Spend alot of time on this site many helpful people such as yourself thanks again.

JonlyDonly
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuel filter  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel filter    Fuel filter  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel filter
Page 1 of 1