Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Radiator removal videos? H100

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Taz555

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Bedford
Registration date : 2020-09-26

Radiator removal videos? H100 Empty
PostSubject: Radiator removal videos? H100   Radiator removal videos? H100 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 12:30 pm

I am taking out my leaking radiator from my 1992 Hiace camper. I am stuck at removing the shroud. I can only see 2 bolts that attach to radiator. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Radiator removal videos? H100   Radiator removal videos? H100 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 2:42 pm

Is it diesel or petrol?
Back to top Go down
Taz555

PostSubject: Re: Radiator removal videos? H100   Radiator removal videos? H100 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 3:44 pm

It is a diesel auto 4wd LH 119v
Back to top Go down
Taz555

PostSubject: Re: Radiator removal videos? H100   Radiator removal videos? H100 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 3:52 pm

Taz555 wrote:
It is a diesel auto 4wd LHRadiator removal videos? H100 Img_2210
So I have taken the top part of the shroud, but I am not sure how to get at the two on the bottom.

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Radiator removal videos? H100   Radiator removal videos? H100 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 4:00 pm

from underneath?
Back to top Go down
Taz555

PostSubject: Re: Radiator removal videos? H100   Radiator removal videos? H100 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 4:02 pm

You might be right. That means taking off the guard..Thanks
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Radiator removal videos? H100   Radiator removal videos? H100 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 6:08 pm

Hello Taz555.

Good work, but get some nuts (maybe with pad-out washers) on the studs that normally hold the fan clutch in place. This is on the assumption that the twin belts are still under tension. If so, then it’s quite easy to knock something and the belts' pully will dislodge and you’ll have to loosen the adjuster so you can reposition everything. Ask me how I know!!

From memory, I found you have to remove the small lower shield, which is quite difficult as there’s not much space to swing a spanner / socket. Then, this will expose the bolts into the lower areas of the radiator.

It’s tight in the area of the shield, the PS rack and front drive.

I take it you’re getting the main radiator re-cored?

If so, you might like to take a look at the longish post on cooling that’s in my Show Us Yours section. It’s on the first page and below the pictures of the rear brake shoes. Apols to anyone else who reads that I point people to these posts, but situations like this is why I wrote them.

The first post on my thread covers my known links etc for manuals and parts and exploded diagrams etc.

As a fellow LH119 owner I hope these might be especially useful, but they are worded to be general to Hiaces.

While you’re in this area of your van are you planning on doing anything else?

Good luck and do report back!!
Back to top Go down
Taz555

PostSubject: Re: Radiator removal videos? H100   Radiator removal videos? H100 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 6:42 pm

Thank you for that Hiace master, ironic, but the water pump and T belt kit were done a couple of months ago. Also have run copper piping from the trans cooler back to the gearbox. Yes going to get a re core though I bought a replica rad from a place in Dubai, thing is they made the turbo version even though I double checked the part number with them.

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Radiator removal videos? H100   Radiator removal videos? H100 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2024 2:59 pm

You’re welcome, but I am no Hiace master. That’s just what the forum calls me as I've posted a certain number of times. I wouldn’t be so hubristic! Very Happy  

Good that the belts etc have been done. Saves digging in further at the front.

Am sure many on here would be interested in seeing the copper piping between the trans cooler (I presume this is in the radiator) and the gearbox. I have a manual so don’t have this feature.

Maybe if you create a show us yours thread you could expand there?

I may replace the feed and return section of double piping for the rear heater that is solid (down the RHS) with some copper. I’ve restored the steel piping and painted it, but the piping is quite thin and possibly brittle. Some copper sections in here instead would likely be better for the longterm.

Did you use standard 15mm plumbing piping for your mod?

What can you identify as differences between the normal and the turbo radiators, please? It might be that a non-turbo radiator is not available anymore, especially for the A/T?

When discussing the options for a three-layer core over a two-layer the company said it’d give better cooling potential over standard and the cost difference was very small. I might fit a turbo and kits are available (but expensive) and I do need a new exhaust anyway so this would simply be a different off-the-shelf system rather than a bespoke build. Other than the cost and the work, the thing holding me back a bit is the boost compensation but even without a turbo, the radiator I have gives the best cooling I can have. Be great to get your input, please?

As I put above I wrote about the cooling on my van on my show us yours page (p1 and below the pictures of the rear brakes).

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Radiator removal videos? H100   Radiator removal videos? H100 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2024 3:00 pm

Oh and did you get the shroud bolts out?
Back to top Go down
Taz555

PostSubject: Re: Radiator removal videos? H100   Radiator removal videos? H100 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2024 7:14 am

LH119V wrote:
Oh and did you get the shroud bolts out?
Hi I am waiting for a flexi extension to get at the bloody things! Then I might finally be able to get the radiator out!!  As far as the copper piping from the transmission cooler (you are right, automatic trans cooler sits on the side of the radiator - Hens teeth are easier to buy!!) I got our guys at the local garage to do it and not sure of the gauge. I had changed the steel pipework to the heater matrix as it was badly corroded. Used EPDM hose and its been fine.
It looks like the main difference between the turbo and non turbo auto rad is the extra inlet pipe for the turbo, but until I get it off I cant tell if there is anything else. I will add some pics in show us yours when I get a minute.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radiator removal videos? H100   Radiator removal videos? H100 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radiator removal videos? H100
Page 1 of 1