Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Electric Draws

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
West Coast Hiace CC

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Colwood, BC
Registration date : 2022-08-14

Electric Draws Empty
PostSubject: Electric Draws   Electric Draws Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2023 12:34 am

I’m doing my calculations for the electrical systems for the CC.  What are you using as a roof fan?  Did you use the existing roof vent opening?

What wattage did you estimate for the house lights?  I’m thinking 8 hours a day would be overkill as a planning factor.

Current battery is 220 watt agm.  No solar but I may go with higher amp alternator instead.  Goal is to go 5 days. Fridge draws 44 watts, cpap 2.2-4.3 amps, plus 2 iPads and 2 iPhones.

Thoughts!

Last edited by West Coast Hiace CC on Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

Electric Draws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Draws   Electric Draws Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2023 3:36 pm

It all depends on what you are doing, if you charge your i pads and phones and keep the fridge running as you drive then you can take a lot of their power usage out of the equation because they're fully charged and the fridge is very cold. Unless you keep opening the fridge it can stay pretty cold with the odd blast every now and then.

But I don't think it's got anything to do with your alternator power all that does is charges the battery faster. Without solar the power you have to use when parked depends only on your battery because that's where it's coming from and bear in mind that AGM batteries lose voltage as they lose charge.

To calculate if you have enough you divide the watts used in a day by twelve (12V system ) and your battery's amp hours has to equal it or be better.

For example your fridge is 44Watts you use it for 4 hours that is 44 x 4 which equals 176watt hours divided by 12V =14.6ah With that calculation a 120ah battery you could run your fridge for over thirty hours but as it hits 50% power the voltage drops below 12.

amps = watts divided by volts, volts = watts divided by amps and watts = amps x volts, knowing the wattage of your battery isn't much use it's the ah that you want to look at. Which I suspect is what the 200 of your battery is because if it's watts that's not a very powerful battery. 200w/12v = 16.6a, just over four hours with your fridge and you've got a flat battery.

I just have the ceiling vent and also a usb fan... But what is this cpap that is 90 watts ?
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Electric Draws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Draws   Electric Draws Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2023 8:59 pm

Hello West Coast Hiace CC and welcome to the forum

NickZ is spot on as ‘it depends’.

There topic of camper leisure electrics is vast and you can spend as much as you can afford and then some putting a system togerther. The Australians are probably the best kitted out for this for the somewhat nomadic and the Americans for the RV systems.

It sounds like you have a fairly standard set of requirements but as NickZ says there are lots of options and variants.

My advice would be to look at the many YT vids and themes out there and a good place to start might be this:

but Greg has several excellent vids and this will also set you down loads of hopefully fruitful rabbit holes.

I’d suggest a few things
• AGM batteries can only be discharged to ~50% before they struggle and their long term performance degrades. Lithium has a much greater discharge capacity and is lighter but more expensive and needs more modern technology.
• Duty cycle is everything for ‘always on’ systems such as fridges. I have plots somewhere showing the current draw at different internal settings and ambient temps for a 12V Engel fridge. It’s not quite the same model that’s fitted to CCs but it’s useful, if I can find it again. Assuming I do, I’ll add it to the long first post on my show us yours section. The post, which has loads of handy resources etc, might be useful to you in any case. Do take a look (another CC anyhow).
• I think it’s almost impossible to maintain electrical systems in an off-grid way (several days) without solar or driving or both without going unnecessarily mad with battery storage or additional packs (powerbanks).
• Diesel heating has a big electrical draw (~10A at 12V) during start up.
• Gas cooking is a lot simpler than electrical (induction) but gas storage is not always straightforward.
• LED lighting is a no-brainer when off-grid. Every Watt counts and monitoring is really important.
• Off-grid mains supply in a van is somewhat expensive to implement. Don’t add if you don’t need or don’t build in more than you need.
• Mains hook-up is useful if that’s your thing but it also adds complexity, cost and needs careful and safe planning.
• You can’t beat physics but there are lots of new developments. Consider whether you want a permanently fitted system or could use a powerbank, which might have more flexibility.

Good luck!!

Andonic likes this post

Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

Electric Draws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Draws   Electric Draws Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2023 9:08 pm

Lithium needs a B2B charger and it's a pain in the &%$* to ship your van when it becomes "hazardous" ! There have been too many fires on transporters caused by electric cars and lithium leisure batteries got dragged into the equation.. Totally unjust and expensive !
Back to top Go down
West Coast Hiace CC

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Colwood, BC
Registration date : 2022-08-14

Electric Draws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Draws   Electric Draws Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2023 9:54 pm

NickZ wrote:
It all depends on what you are doing, if you charge your i pads and phones and keep the fridge running as you drive then you can take a lot of their power usage out of the equation because they're fully charged and the fridge is very cold. Unless you keep opening the fridge it can stay pretty cold with the odd blast every now and then.

But I don't think it's got anything to do with your alternator power all that does is charges the battery faster. Without solar the power you have to use when parked depends only on your battery because that's where it's coming from and bear in mind that AGM batteries lose voltage as they lose charge.

To calculate if you have enough you divide the watts used in a day by twelve (12V system ) and your battery's amp hours has to equal it or be better.

For example your fridge is 44Watts you use it for 4 hours that is 44 x 4 which equals 176watt hours divided by 12V =14.6ah With that calculation a 120ah battery you could run your fridge for over thirty hours but as it hits 50% power the voltage drops below 12.

amps = watts divided by volts, volts = watts divided by amps and watts = amps x volts, knowing the wattage of your battery isn't much use it's the ah that you want to look at. Which I suspect is what the 200 of your battery is because if it's watts that's not a very powerful battery. 200w/12v = 16.6a, just over four hours with your fridge and you've got a flat battery.

I just have the ceiling vent and also a usb fan... But what is this cpap that is 90 watts ?

Cpap is for sleep apnea. 90-100 watts would be a peak. 52 is the average.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Electric Draws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Draws   Electric Draws Icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 1:14 pm

West Coast Hiace CC wrote:

Cpap is for sleep apnea. 90-100 watts would be a peak. 52 is the average.

Hello West Coast Hiace CC

I've found and added the graphs I have on the Engel fridges to my Show Us Yours section.

In a nutshell though 52W average is a fairly big load to run from 12V batteries. It's probably the biggest leisure draw in your van, if you've installed LED lighting etc. My fridge draws 44W and if you see the plots there it has to be very warm for this to have a 100% duty cycle.

52W is about 35Ah so you'd need ~70Ah AGM battery (absolute minimum) to run the cpap for 8h. AGM or other lead batteries can only safely dischage to 50% otherwise thier performance will degrage. With lithium you could just about manage with a 40Ah battery but that would also be an absolute minimum.

If you're looking to augment or upgrade the leisure electrics I'd suggest the cpap load needs a reasonable safety factor.

Good look!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Electric Draws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Draws   Electric Draws Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electric Draws
Page 1 of 1