Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Electric Mirrors Switch

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

Electric Mirrors Switch Empty
PostSubject: Electric Mirrors Switch   Electric Mirrors Switch Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2023 2:22 pm

Hi,

I've just noticed that the < function of the electric mirror switch isn't working >, ^ and v are fine.

Replacement switches are generic across a lot of Toyotas of that age, so it's not expensive to replace and readily available in the UK. However, I'm just wondering if the issue could be related to any other part of the system and wiring? Also, an tips on getting the old switch out? It looks like the centre box needs to come out completely but any tips welcome.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Electric Mirrors Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Mirrors Switch   Electric Mirrors Switch Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2023 10:39 pm

Hello g00se

I don’t have electric mirrors, but I do have electric windows. These have been fine but I have disassembled and cleaned the switches. They were full of 30 years of muck and fluff from in the door voids. Before getting a replacement switch it might be worth removing the switch and checking whether it does actually operate with power. I’m not quite sure how they function but I expect they apply 12V positive to each of the four major axes, U, D, L, R. I think they might also operate so they can move up and right (for example) at the same time, but not quite sure of this tbh. Most car mirrors operate on the major axes and the combined ones so I’d expect the Toyota ones to do this, but as I say I don’t have these electric mirrors.

I’m unsure whether the full motor power runs through the switch or if the power to the mirrors is relay switched, but I expect no relays are used. The mirror motors are not very heavy duty and if the full power runs through the switch then I expect a couple of amps runs there, which is also maybe why the contact strips / pads are further gummed.

If the switch doesn’t operate in your ‘<’ direction then it might after you’ve cleaned it. Worth a go. Depending on how much gunk is in there isopropanol alcohol or brake cleaner and cloth or cotton buds are handy.

If the switch is fine, then I expect it could next be either the mirror motor or the wiring.

One way to determine this could be to find out if the ‘<’ switch works or does not on both mirrors, or just one?

A further thing to consider might be whether the mirror motor is sticky? It’s unlikely to be sticky on both mirrors, but If you just have one mirror that won’t go ‘<’ try gently pressing on the mirror surface in the direction of travel when pressing the switch. If this fixes it then you might need to clean the motor up.

If everything should work but nothing does, then the most likely point of wiring failure is probably where it goes into the door from the body. A couple of decades of door opening is probably enough to fatigue this unless vibration has cut through the insulation elsewhere. I would expect any blown fuse to stop everything.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!!

g00se likes this post

Back to top Go down

Electric Mirrors Switch
Page 1 of 1