Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Starter questions 1kzte 3L

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 61
Home City : Carson NM
Model and year : 95 super custom, auto, full time 4x4, 1kzte
Registration date : 2021-03-29

starter - Starter questions 1kzte 3L Empty
PostSubject: Starter questions 1kzte 3L   starter - Starter questions 1kzte 3L Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2023 3:39 am

Im in the USA and need to rebuild my starter solenoid. When i reference my model number (Kzh106w-MRMGT) to find the part numbers, it shows parts for several different starters. It almost appears there is a 2.2 kw and a 2.7kw? Will this be marked in the starter?
Does anyone have a usa or canada source for rebuild kits?
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 286
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Starter questions 1kzte 3L   starter - Starter questions 1kzte 3L Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2023 5:07 pm

Hi - I've just been curious and had a look - the only difference between the 2.2KW and the 2.7KW is that the former has the code '5F' under 'applicability' in the EPC. I think this refers to 5-floor, and means the manual gearbox. It sort of makes sense as the starter effort could differ between auto and manual transmissions.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 286
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Starter questions 1kzte 3L   starter - Starter questions 1kzte 3L Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2023 5:15 pm

Also, take the full part number of the whole starter assembly and google it -eg, two of the 2.7kw starters in the lists are:

toyota 2810030050
toyota 2810067060

In the UK, there are a lot of after market replacements for about £120. And also cheap service kits (stated as a Landcruiser starter here)

Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Starter questions 1kzte 3L   starter - Starter questions 1kzte 3L Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 5:33 am

I got my starter out, its a 28100-67020, i looked that up and its a 2.7kw.
Im going to take one of the “L” shaped copper contacts to toyota to see if there is a similar part. Otherwise i have some 3mm copper bar stock on order with amazon and ill make my own. The proper parts would be $70, yikes. I got more time then money. Thanks for your input.

g00se likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Starter questions 1kzte 3L   starter - Starter questions 1kzte 3L Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 10:49 pm

Hello TacticalAnt.

My local starter motor place couldn’t get the 2.7kW DENSO starter motor as a replacement unit so I rebuilt mine. They could get a non-OE replacement for ~£140 but I thought it couldn’t be hard to fix up. Mine was temperamental rather than failed.

Toyota quoted me very silly money for a rebuilt one, but I could do that myself. I replaced the two contacts and the plunger. Simples.

I got the parts from Toyota and unlike the boots (other post) these were really good priced. It was a couple of years ago but I think the contacts were ~£6 each and the plunger was ~£15. Seems Toyota sometimes just makes up numbers, no?

There are lots of really good YT videos that show how to replace the starter contacts. One of the contacts wears much more than the other (due to current). One tightens against the casing and the other doesn’t. The manual recommends using a hardwood block mounted in a press or something similar to hold the hard to tighten one. It’s important that the contacts are flat otherwise they will wear quickly. The third picture is before tightening the RH contact btw.

The white sheet also came with the contact and is there as an insulator.

I was really pleased with the results (part labels covered with adhesive see-through vinyl book cover material then masking tape for the ‘reveal’).

HTH!!

starter - Starter questions 1kzte 3L 2021-109

starter - Starter questions 1kzte 3L 2021-108

starter - Starter questions 1kzte 3L 2021-107

starter - Starter questions 1kzte 3L 2021-131
Back to top Go down
TacticalAnt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Starter questions 1kzte 3L   starter - Starter questions 1kzte 3L Icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2023 3:27 am

Nice. I think the denso starters are awesome. Considering i only need to replace some copper contacts after 27 years… not bad. As your aware, the hiace was never imported here so no specific parts for it at toyota. Im replacing the boots on the CV axles, and fortunately they are the same ones as the 90’s 4runners.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starter questions 1kzte 3L   starter - Starter questions 1kzte 3L Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starter questions 1kzte 3L
Page 1 of 1