Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Suspension Experts: converting torsion bars to air-ride

Go down 
AuthorMessage
AinWarhol
Not so new now
Not so new now
AinWarhol

Number of posts : 25
Home City : Austin, TX, USA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited
KZH100
Registration date : 2018-12-06

Suspension Experts: converting torsion bars to air-ride Empty
PostSubject: Suspension Experts: converting torsion bars to air-ride   Suspension Experts: converting torsion bars to air-ride Icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2023 8:29 pm

Ok so I've been wanting to figure out how to add air ride to my 2WD Hiace SCL for years now and I think I may have stumbled across a solution but curious if anyone here is knowledgeable enough about suspension to chime in on whether you think it'll work or not.

My van has the torsion bar/shock front end, and coil spring/shock rear. So I've found at least 2 companies that make "air shocks" (see links below), which are essentially shock absorbers with an air sleeve/bellow attached for adjustable ride height. Traditional air ride involves an air bag separate from a shock, but this is supposed to function as a 2-in-1, similar to an "air strut".

https://www.airliftperformance.com/product-lines/universal-custom-air-suspension/builders-series-shocks/

https://ridetech.com/product-category/products/air_suspension/shockwaves/universal-styles/

In theory, if I replace both sets of shocks front and back with these air shocks, could I get away with deleting the torsion bars and coils? Or would I need to retain those and still be able to get ride height adjustability just from the air shock?

If this works, it would make air ride 10x easier since it would require little to no fabrication work for brackets, etc.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down

Suspension Experts: converting torsion bars to air-ride
Page 1 of 1