Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Speed clock

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe Heaton

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Manchester, Uk
Registration date : 2023-07-26

Speed clock Empty
PostSubject: Speed clock   Speed clock Icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2023 10:05 pm

Hi all!

I managed to get hold of a 1994 Cruising Cabin, LH119, and having trouble getting the clock to monitor speed.
Does anyone know the part number for the speed clock and where I might get hold of one? I'm struggling to find the exact same one that's compatible.

thanks
Joe
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Speed clock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed clock   Speed clock Icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2023 12:53 pm

Hello Joe and welcome to the forum.

Great to have another LH119 on here.

I wrote a fairly long post on parts, resources and the like on my show us your page, which details most of the online content that I know about. It might help you get started. The thread is here:

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4317-my-lh119

I’m guessing that your dash is mechanical. A little later many Hiaces were fitted with fancy electronic dash, but I think that was after yours, no?

The clocks are not easy to get but I’d expect the speedo part was fairly commonly used across the Toyota range. Best way to check that is to use the EPC and the linked parts sites. Again all this is over on the post I mention above. This might mean you can get a set from a different vehicle and fit it in.

Some research needed, certainly.

If the speedo is the problem then it’s not a massive job to extract the instrument set and swap out this part. You do need to be careful though as the plastic is likely brittle with age and the electronics on the back of the clocks (and connectors) have probably become fragile.

There are two other sources of failure in the speedo that I can think of. One is the cable, which I believe is a fairly standard part. Again the EPC and similar resources will quite you. The routing of the cable is interesting and if the problem then replacing it will take you to places on your van you will be surprised at. The other failure point is the speedo drive on the gearbox. The manual (what I have) is fairly straightforward and common across many Toyotas. I understand the auto uses a more complex system, but again this can all be viewed on the EPC.

Hope this helps and please do read the post I linked above.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

Speed clock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed clock   Speed clock Icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2023 6:08 pm

My speedometer got changed a couple of years ago and went from km to miles this has made a big discrepancy on the mileage. I think the new speedo came from a breakers or something like that and when I bought my van I was given a photo of the old clock and new one to show the mileage at changeover, I also still have the original speedo just in case. So be sure to have a record like that if you go down this route and you can't line up the mileage.

The problem could have kicked in with the MOT and when I lined up all the certificates the mileage was obviously out unless the owner had suddenly decided to drive to India and back. Luckily the MOT during the changeover year was fine as it had the previous year in kms and that year's in miles. I don't think the tester wanted to work it out but all of a sudden my van had done a lot of miles. From that point onwards it all lines up and there's not a problem with the MOT because the mileage makes sense now.

I'm just driving around in a van that says it's done 15,000 miles more than it actually has which doesn't bother me.
Back to top Go down
cjs_surf
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 33
Home City : Dublin
Model and year : 1991 LH119 PT 4WD Hight Top YMC Camper
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Speed clock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed clock   Speed clock Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2023 3:27 pm

My 91 LH119 has a mechanical speedo, there is a right angle peace that connected to the output of the gear box and to the end of the cable it has snapped.

This site should help
https://jp-carparts.com/toyota/figlist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140&cartype=106
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Speed clock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed clock   Speed clock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speed clock
Page 1 of 1