Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Electrical Torment Please Help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NashvilleSuperCustom

Number of posts : 8
Home City : Nashville, TN, USA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited (Living Saloon)
2-lte Diesel 2wd
Registration date : 2022-12-01

Electrical Torment Please Help Empty
PostSubject: Electrical Torment Please Help   Electrical Torment Please Help Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2023 11:52 pm

Came back from a two-week trip and the van suddenly won't roll down automatic windows on either door from either switch, moonroof won't open with any switch, instrument panel has no activity from fuel gauge, tachometer, and temperature gauge. Additionally, Ive had a history of needing to press the gear stick override button to put car in gear. However, now the automatic transmission will not shift out of first gear once it's in drive. Fuses I've located seem okay.

I'm not experienced with auto electrics, but no one in my city will work on the SC. Any help is appreciated.

Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Torment Please Help   Electrical Torment Please Help Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2023 8:34 am

For the gear stick override, have you tried actually holding it down while you shift the gearstick out of PARK?  For a while mine needed to be presses once to allow you to shift.  Then I found I needed to hold the red button down with one hand while shifting with the other.  Once you are out of PARK THE OTHER GEAR CHANGES WORK NORMALLY.

I have to say I feel smug that my window winders, handbrake, curtains etc are all non electric.  Less to go wrong Smile
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Torment Please Help   Electrical Torment Please Help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 06, 2023 2:21 pm

Hello, or should that be howdy ‘NashvilleSuperCustom’.

I’m not going to try to diagnose your electrical gremlins over the forum but if you’ve got one issue that relates to possibly several circuits then the likely culprit might be a fuse has blown or an earth point has got dislodged. It’s unlikely that a series of switches have failed or a series of circuits have packed up.

There are two large fuse holders, but both are a bit of a pain to access. There are some fuse inside the dash, but these relate to the HVAC system not the ancillaries you mention.

Take a look at the long post in my show us yours section for some useful resources and particularly what I consider are the best electrical manuals on the web. I hope these help. They show the position of the fuses, the wiring (inc colours) and the switches / motors etc in typical wiring diagram fashion.

If a fuse has blown it’s generally also a good idea to try to understand why this is the case. Fuses are there to protect circuits and if a fuse has gone, it’s likely to let go again. For example it might be that the wiring through the door grommets has worn or cracked and failed to a short circuit that has blown the fuse. To fix that you’d need to replace the dodgy door wiring and then replace the fuse.

If it’s an earth point then the wiring diagram shows these.

I think that the absolutely best diagnosis tool is a power probe, but a simple 12V multimeter and long leads works well. A clamp meter is also very handy for working out whether a wire is live, but clamp meters are a bit more expensive. The simplest tool is just a 12V bulb and a bit of wire.

The trick is to treat each circuit as a loop and make no assumptions. It can also be useful to print out the relevant wiring diagram section(s) and trace each circuit from point to point. Don't forget the earth / neg areas, too. Many auto electrical gremlins relave to bad earth.

Final point is to say that the less you have to disassemble the better. It’s normally quite easy to test connectors without taking them apart and quite a few of the electrical components might be getting quite fragile with age, as might some of the wiring (eg where the doors open).

HTH!!

p.s.  I’ve no idea whether the transmission issue is related. I have a M/T.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Torment Please Help   Electrical Torment Please Help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electrical Torment Please Help
Page 1 of 1