Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1994 Super Custom electrical issues

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
swtft72

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Lynden
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace Super Custom
Registration date : 2023-04-17

1994 Super Custom electrical issues Empty
PostSubject: 1994 Super Custom electrical issues   1994 Super Custom electrical issues Icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2023 10:06 pm

Hey all, first time on this forum. Just picked up a 94 super custom. Lovin' it! Getting ready for its first Road trip. Will post pictures soon. When I bought it the owner said he couldn't figure out why the interior lights, clock and radio were not working. He checked all fuses. He was told it might be a blue electrical circuit box that is up inside the roof panel behind drivers seat. I finally found it. replaced it with one that he had gave me that he ordered directly from Japan, and still nothing is working...any knowledge you guys can impart to me would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom electrical issues   1994 Super Custom electrical issues Icon_minitimeWed Apr 19, 2023 7:34 am

Hi,

I've nothing definitive but a few suggestions. I had a look at the wiring diagram that's available here https://www.hiacesoutheast.com/hiace-manuals but I can't see any obvious fuse connection between internal lights, radio and clock (I may well be wrong though).

A few things to check - when you say interior lights, do you mean all or the rear ones? The large one in the roof at the back can be set to 'door' off or on. The ones in the footwell of the sliding door and at the back by the tailgate are either off or work when the doors are open (all those rear lights should operate at the same time when any rear door is opened.

The front passenger/driver lights (on the door, in the roof etc) should operate when the front doors open (and the central ones manually too). In addition, the ring around the ignition key should light up too.

Are they all failing in all situations? Or is it just the rear?

For the clock (and possibly the radio). it'll be worth pulling the dash and checking they're still connected. There are a lot of Super Custom radio replacement youtube videos to show this process - it's quite simple. You have to disconnect the clock to remove the dash properly, so it's possible someone forgot to reconnect.
Back to top Go down
swtft72

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Lynden
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace Super Custom
Registration date : 2023-04-17

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom electrical issues   1994 Super Custom electrical issues Icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2023 7:07 pm

All interior lights are not working, even the ignition key one.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom electrical issues   1994 Super Custom electrical issues Icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2023 8:48 pm

OK - I may have found something in the electrical docs (from the link above).

I assume you have a right-hand-drive RHD - but there are similar layouts for LHD.

On page 69, you'll see all the interior lights (including the ignition ring) are fed from the 7.5A dome fuse through junction J5.
(for LHD, it's page 68 and it's J9).

If you look at page 73, the feed from the 7.5A dome fuse also runs through junction J5 for the clock (with a side circuit via J9 for LHD). But there is also a feed going off from this to the radio.

So first thing I would try is check out the 7.5A dome fuse (page 13 RHD, page 11 LHD). Replace it again.
If that doesn't work, get behind the dash and look for junction J5 (layout on page 44) *if LHD, it's J9 on page 28.

It'll be hard to work out from the diagram exactly where that is. But even though the fusebox in the page 44 diagram looks like it's hidden behind the dash, it's actually accessible in the driver's footwell, at the back left. Which suggests J5 is just to the right of that.

Good luck!

Andonic and LH119V like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1994 Super Custom electrical issues   1994 Super Custom electrical issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1994 Super Custom electrical issues
Page 1 of 1