Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NashvilleSuperCustom

Number of posts : 8
Home City : Nashville, TN, USA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited (Living Saloon)
2-lte Diesel 2wd
Registration date : 2022-12-01

All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms Empty
PostSubject: All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms   All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2022 7:10 pm

Hello All! I'm new to the forum and the HIACE community. I love the van, and it has been a wild ride from the start! Most of the main gremlins are worked out, but I'm having a bit more trouble.

The orange dashboard lights come on once the van is sufficiently heated up and under stress (highway/uphill acceleration). When the vehicle is cool, there are no additional lights. The mechanic who helped me get the van rolling again after my purchase said the alternator charges the battery. However, I'm noticing lights are brighter when I rev the engine. I'm thinking when heat/resistance builds, the system is sub-optimal. I don't want to blow other devices/circuits (as electrical systems have needed some work since I got it two months ago), and the alternator fuse is still good, so I'm thinking of replacing the alternator brush and voltage regulator to start.

Extra information: When I got it back, I detailed it. I also sanded, primed and touched up the paint job where some rusty places had developed. During all this, the battery died from the interior lights/radio being on without the engine running and I had to jumpstart the vehicle).

The previous owner said this phenomenon happened periodically, but I don't feel comfortable simply dismissing the lights.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you all so much!

93 HIACE super custom limited 1kz diesel 2wd
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms   All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2022 12:29 am

Hi Nashville super custom.

Ours arrived with a failing alternator and a bad battery.  Ran it dead a few times with the interior lights and radio just like you did too. The lights draw quite a bit of wattage, replaced them with LED’s and the problem went away.

Uses the same alternator as a 22r pickup if yours ends up needing to be replaced. Belts, tensioner pulley and battery are at local parts stores too.

Put a voltmeter on it when the light comes on. I would want that piece of mind before pulling the drivers seat and everything else to get to the good things. I mentioned tensioner because ours failed on a mountain trip causing the alternator belt to be too loose to charge under load. Replaced it in the parking lot and it has been good ever since.

Good luck, God Bless
-Bryan

NashvilleSuperCustom likes this post

Back to top Go down
NashvilleSuperCustom

2-lte Diesel 2wd

PostSubject: Re: All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms   All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2022 10:49 pm

I'll give it a go and follow up. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
NashvilleSuperCustom

2-lte Diesel 2wd

PostSubject: Re: All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms   All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2023 8:12 am

Okay. Ran a simple voltmeter test, and the numbers were suggestive that it was charging. However, got the folks at the auto parts store to test it with their diagnostic, and they suggested the battery was carrying a load when the vehicle was warm. I'm going to pull the alternator out and take it to be tested/rebuilt. Will follow up.

LH119V and blgravely like this post

Back to top Go down
NashvilleSuperCustom

2-lte Diesel 2wd

PostSubject: Re: All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms   All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2023 10:00 pm

Update: took out the alternator and got a shop to diagnose it. Turns out, it needed a new regulator to control surges. 68 USD and a couple of cut knuckles.

No lights at moment, but there are other issues, so I'll update once I'm able to put a load on the vehicle.

blgravely likes this post

Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms   All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2023 2:39 am

Glad you are on the right track Nashvillesupercustom. A surging regulator is a moonshot catch. Great job

-Bryan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms   All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All Orange Dashboard Lights On When Engine Warms
Page 1 of 1