Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reverse camera wires?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Golden connection

Number of posts : 8
Home City : Auckland
Registration date : 2022-07-11

Reverse camera wires? Empty
PostSubject: Reverse camera wires?   Reverse camera wires? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 12:43 am

Just got my reverse camera installed just below the number plate. Anyone know which wires I can tap into that are constant on?
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Reverse camera wires?   Reverse camera wires? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 12:10 am

Hello!

What camera, and where? Please share. Would be great to see some pictures.

Happy to be corrected but I don’t think there are any ‘constant on’ wires within the tailgate. It hosts various lights, the rear wiper and screen heater plus central-locking actuation if fitted. Some of these are controlled by the ignition ‘on’ (screen heater?) some (like the lights) can be turned on without the key but they are not permanently live; these are switched from the stalk or other switches.

To get a ‘constant on’ feed into the tailgate you would need to tap into a live feed from further up in the vehicle and take this to the tailgate, but why fit a reverse(ing) camera that is ‘constant on’ (permanently live) as it would then be powered all the time whether the key is in or not. To do this (such as a permanent security camera) you’d need to find a live feed well upstream within the van and add you camera into this via a fuse and switch etc then into an earth return.

1 - If you want a simple reversing camera, wire the camera’s signal feed into its screen or a head unit that will actuate ‘feed-on’ when the camera is powered. Then, include the camera on the white reverse lamp power so it is only powered when reverse gear is selected. This is the 90% case.

2 - If you want to be able to view the world behind you with a reversing camera while driving forward you need to wire the rear camera power into a separate dash switch so it’s powered by this switch rather than the gear select mechanism (as above). I think this should be fed by the ignition live circuit as there is no real need to power this when the engine is not running. This is how I will wire my reverse(ing) / ‘rear view’ camera. This is ~9.9% case.

3 - If you want to wire it permanently on you need to generate a dedicated powered circuit outside the ignition feed but it’ll cause a constant drain. I wouldn’t recommend this unless your powered circuit is fed from solar etc. This might be the 0.1% case.

I hope I’ve not misunderstood your question and this inexpertly addresses your options. I’m not an auto electrician.

HTH
Back to top Go down
RandyOakley

Number of posts : 16
Home City : Bellevue
Model and year : 1997 Living Saloon Ex
Registration date : 2022-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Reverse camera wires?   Reverse camera wires? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 12:36 am

I would tap into the wire that powers the license plate light. I drive with my headlights on all the time anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reverse camera wires?   Reverse camera wires? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reverse camera wires?
Page 1 of 1