Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Annoying rattling noise behind the glove box (RHD)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Halle

Number of posts : 2
Home City : ABINGDON
Registration date : 2022-01-28

Annoying rattling noise behind the glove box (RHD) Empty
PostSubject: Annoying rattling noise behind the glove box (RHD)   Annoying rattling noise behind the glove box (RHD) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 3:32 pm

Hi,

I've got a 2.8 1995 Hiace campervan and it's had a really annoying rattling noise behind the glove box when I'm driving on any road other than an extremely smooth one.

I managed to find the noise last weekend on my fifth try after 3 years of ripping things out and test runs so thought I'd share the info.

The attached photos below show the fan which is located behind the glovebox so the glovebox, plastic strip below the glovebox & speaker cover to the left of the glovebox need to be removed to get to this stage.

To remove the fan you have to take the 4 screws out that hold the console structure and then the 4 cross head screws that hold the fan and cable retainer.

Put your hand into the square air box and press upwards. On my van there is a layer of broken down insulation and the metal cover was lose. I managed to shove a load of cloth between the cover and the airbox which stopped the rattling - bit of bodge job but couldn't find another way of doing it. Peace at last...........well, apart from the other less slightly annoying rattles.

https://servimg.com/view/20438069/4

https://servimg.com/view/20438069/5

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Annoying rattling noise behind the glove box (RHD)   Annoying rattling noise behind the glove box (RHD) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 4:20 pm

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Nice work!! It is a bit of a faff to be able to access that from inside. It’s actually not much easier to get at it from the front.

That flap is the divider selecting between air drawn in from the outside or recirculated from inside the cabin. To access from the front you need to remove the grill and then the steel mesh.

The flap is controlled by a Bowden cable from the heating controls and I don’t think there’s any adjustment on it to accommodate the loss of foam.

The unit is here:
https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/lh119v/114894/electric/8712/

That link should be in your favourites, once adjusted to your exact van based on the build plate.

I’ve currently got the dash out so let me know if you need any further pics.

I'm also planning to improve the foam there, but it's just 'another' job...

HTH

Halle likes this post

Back to top Go down
Halle

Number of posts : 2
Home City : ABINGDON
Registration date : 2022-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Annoying rattling noise behind the glove box (RHD)   Annoying rattling noise behind the glove box (RHD) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 4:38 pm

Now it all makes sense - thanks

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Annoying rattling noise behind the glove box (RHD)   Annoying rattling noise behind the glove box (RHD) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Annoying rattling noise behind the glove box (RHD)
Page 1 of 1