Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Greasing front end

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

Greasing front end Empty
PostSubject: Greasing front end   Greasing front end Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 5:11 am

Greasing front end 32146610
While doing recent service I removed the 10mm plugs in 3 areas to screw in grease nipples to grease.  Is there any reason for this ridiculously complicated system?  Is there any reason to not just leave grease nipples here?
Greasing front end Ea805710Also is there any way to grease these two on the bottom? There doesn’t even seem to be a bolt to unscrew?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Greasing front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greasing front end   Greasing front end Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 2:50 pm

Hi @Merlin_

Who knows? This does seem to be overly complicated. I was completely unaware of the grease fittings until a chat with a fellow forum-member pointed me to this.

I’ve had a search on here for those posts, but I can’t find them now. I do find the search on here hard to fathom and get the results I want.

The ports on the top wishbone are tricky to access but I see no problem with leaving in the grease fitting, especially if you add a cap. It might just be simpler to remove the cap bolt and hold the grease gun to the suspension and squeeze, rather than adding a fitting.

I’ve not got further than removing the capping bolts and having a poke inside with a bit of wire to see if I have grease in there, which I do. I’ve currently got the tension off the front torsion bars (for several reasons) but I will be adding grease into the fittings before I tighten up the torsion bars so I can work the suspension and ensure the grease is distributed. This might be overkill but I’m also wondering how much grease to add and whether the two areas are joined. Should this be ‘squirt until you see new grease being exuded’ to ensure the old stuff is out? Thoughts? As I’ve not added new I am only guessing it’ll come out somewhere.

There’s also a third fitting (or cap bolt) on the outer point of the top wishbone arm. This seems to fill the suspension fitting and removed a little slop in my suspension. I’ve not pumped this until grease came out.

Yes, I’ve not encountered any fittings in the lower areas and don’t know why. But I do have a fitting on the rear prop shaft (but not one on the front prop shaft).

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

99 Tercel ce *mint*

Greasing front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greasing front end   Greasing front end Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 5:19 pm

Ya I greased all 3, the 3rd one is much easier with the tire off. I found it helpful to pull off those rubber splash guards on he side of the Frame as well. From reading what others have posted here the only part of the driveline that is greasable is the slip yoke on the driveshaft. I’d slides in and out as your rear axle goes up and down. U joint parts from modern Tacoma's with grease nipples are alleged to fit but I can’t confirm or deny this.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Greasing front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greasing front end   Greasing front end Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2022 11:45 pm

Those 2 balljoints arrowed in the photos don’t require regreasing. Genuine Toyota ones don’t have grease nipples, they’re packed from the factory and unless the boot is worn they don’t loose the grease.  If they’re split, replace them. If there’s freeplay, they’re worn and regrease won’t fix it, replace them.

blgravely likes this post

Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

99 Tercel ce *mint*

Greasing front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greasing front end   Greasing front end Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2022 6:00 am

I saw a YouTube video where a guy used a syringe to poke into the rubber boots and lubricator them. It’s got me thinking…
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Greasing front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greasing front end   Greasing front end Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2022 6:57 am

I do hope your thinking reaches a conclusion that intentionally making a hole in the boot is a bad thing. I don’t think grease will be on board with the whole “stay in there” vibe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Greasing front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greasing front end   Greasing front end Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greasing front end
Page 1 of 1