Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
will_hiace
Not so new now
Not so new now
will_hiace

Number of posts : 22
Home City : Kelowna
Model and year : 1998 Hiace AWD KZH138
Registration date : 2021-09-12

New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel Empty
PostSubject: New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel   New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2022 2:43 am

Hey folks,

My KZH138 campervan has needed a couple of boosts to get started this winter after sitting for a couple of days although it hasn't been all that cold ( the last boost was after an overnight low of -6 Celsius). I've had the van since import to Canada in late 2020 & am thinking that it might be time to buy new batteries.

I have the dual battery setup and my local NAPA car parts location could not make heads or tails of the specs for a replacement battery unit of my Japanese Platinum 95D26. Unless I missed in in the manual, I can't seem to find the specs there either.

I figured I would ask the experts what they've installed recently in their Hiaces - Thanks for any help
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel   New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2022 11:27 pm

Searching Australian suppliers using your vehicle's model and year gives a battery type of N50ZZ, with various prefixes or suffixes. Does that give you something to base your search on?
Back to top Go down
will_hiace
Not so new now
Not so new now
will_hiace

PostSubject: Re: New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel   New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 5:15 am

It does thanks, unfortunately all the results are in NZ or Australia Smile

There is one on ebay, but it ships from NSW. I’ll try it on my parts dealer on Monday and see if they can find something.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel   New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 1:56 pm

Hello.

If by double battery set up you mean this:
New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel 2021-060

Then I hope these are useful pictures
New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel 2021-058
New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel 2021-059

These batteries are nothing special and I think 540 CCA is not a lot. My LH119 has the 2.7kW starter, which I think is the largest Toyota fitted. I've no idea if these are the ideal batteries but these are what the mine came with and they seem fine.

The dimensions and price are here: https://batterygroup.co.uk/batteries-power-electronics/lead-acid-batteries/10424/exide-excell-eb704-car-battery-12v-70ah-540a-030se/068?number=60648

By the way both of these batteries are vehicle electrics. The leisure battery is elsewhere and I'll be changing that setup.

I think I might also install an isolater on one of the vehicle batteries so when parked I can disconnect one of them to lessen the chance of a flat battery when using audio etc. I think it's better to have one good battery and one that partially discharged than two partially discharged onesĀ for cold starts, but don't know whehter this would play havoc with the charging / alternator setup. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
will_hiace
Not so new now
Not so new now
will_hiace

PostSubject: Re: New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel   New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 4:47 pm

Yes, that is exactly my setup. Thanks for the specs, I’ll see if I can match them to some North American spec batteries.

I have wondered why there are two batteries in the OEM setup, it would seem like overkill unless you are powering a fair number of electrics with the engine off or perhaps the diesel turbo needs extra power to crank over when starting.

My van came as a campervan setup converted in Japan, I have one leisure battery for camper electrics such as overhead lamps, diesel heater and sink water pump. There is one more battery for the fridge, for a total of two leisure and two OEM batteries.

I like the sound of having one of the two OEM Setup batteries in reserve (particularly that mobile coverage to contact ‘help’ is spotty in the mountains here) but I have no idea if splitting them would work as you describe - if you do try it please report back and let me know.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel   New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Batteries for KZH138 3L Turbodiesel
Page 1 of 1