Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Screeching/Scraping Noise - 1993 Toyota Hiace Super Custom

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SunsetHiace

Number of posts : 8
Home City : San Francisco
Model and year : 1994 Hiace Super Custom 4WD 3.0 Turbo Diesel
1kz-te H106
Registration date : 2021-07-16

Screeching/Scraping Noise - 1993 Toyota Hiace Super Custom  Empty
PostSubject: Screeching/Scraping Noise - 1993 Toyota Hiace Super Custom    Screeching/Scraping Noise - 1993 Toyota Hiace Super Custom  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2021 6:08 pm

Hi all,

I have a 1993 Hiace SC 3.0L diesel with about 125,000 miles. As I was heading out of town last weekend, I started hearing an awful grinding/scraping/screeching noise. Sounds like it is coming from the engine or perhaps the LH front wheel, but hard to say. We turned around immediately and it's going into the shop on Monday. I drove it once more just around the neighborhood this week and the sound was not as bad...less grinding/scraping and slightly more screeching/squeeling. See the video I've included below:

A few additional comments/recent work:

1. The sound only happens when I'm hitting the gas pedal and usually begins right about 2,000 rpm - it does NOT make the sound when revving in neutral, only when actually driving.
2. The sound comes and goes, not constant, and doesn't alway kick in right at 2,000 rpm
3. For a couple weeks or so prior to the noise getting bad, I started to notice a very quiet higher pitched whirring sound when accelerating. I didn't think much of it as it was not very noticeable - I thought maybe it had been there all along and I just started noticing.  
4. Pressure test of the radiators/cooling system done about a month ago (just a couple hundred miles since then). Mechanic suspected a leak, but none were found after several thorough pressure tests.
5. Oil level light came on shortly after the above work, check and oil was a bit low, topped off and the light went off (oil change was done about 1,000 miles ago)
6. Timing belt is pretty fresh, replaced maybe 5,000 miles ago. Still looks and feels solid. Need to double check if the water pump was also replaced then, as I've read that is sometimes typical for these vehicles.
7. No obvious signs of issues with anything stuck in rotors/brakes in any of the wheels (without taking them off)

My best guess is either a belt or a bearing somewhere is not happy.

Any other thoughts/guesses/positive outlooks from the group here? I would appreciate any thoughts! Thank you!

Liam
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Screeching/Scraping Noise - 1993 Toyota Hiace Super Custom    Screeching/Scraping Noise - 1993 Toyota Hiace Super Custom  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2021 11:23 pm

A similar sound in mine turned out to be a broken radiator shroud contacting the tips of the fan. It came and went depending on the airflow. Perhaps yours is different but it's an easy check as the fan tips would be abraded and blackened.
Back to top Go down
SunsetHiace

Number of posts : 8
Home City : San Francisco
Model and year : 1994 Hiace Super Custom 4WD 3.0 Turbo Diesel
1kz-te H106
Registration date : 2021-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Screeching/Scraping Noise - 1993 Toyota Hiace Super Custom    Screeching/Scraping Noise - 1993 Toyota Hiace Super Custom  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2021 11:41 pm

Update: it was the exhaust flex pipe. Pretty simple fix, but not super cheap at the mechanic (that's what I get for living in San Francisco) - around $500 total for the inspection ($180), parts (maybe $20-$40?), and labor ($200) plus tax. I would've asked around for more quotes outside the city or tried to fix myself after getting the diagnosis, but needed the van ready ASAP.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Screeching/Scraping Noise - 1993 Toyota Hiace Super Custom    Screeching/Scraping Noise - 1993 Toyota Hiace Super Custom  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Screeching/Scraping Noise - 1993 Toyota Hiace Super Custom
Page 1 of 1