Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hiace for a cabinet maker work van

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rydersher
rydersher

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Portland
Registration date : 2021-09-16

Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Empty
PostSubject: Hiace for a cabinet maker work van   Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2021 11:54 pm

Hey all I’ve been digging in this forum for about a week trying to soak up some insight as to whether a ‘94+ Super custom (turbo diesel) would be a suitable work van.

I’m in the US Northwest and have the luxury of quite a few importers doing the work of getting them into town and would have the ability to test drive one/take measurements if it seems to be a good fit. There’s probably 5 on Craigslist as I type this.

I make cabinets and often need to move up to six sheets of 4x8’ plywood (anything more than that I’ll just get delivered) as well as finished cabinets and furniture. Installation tools as well. Moving these items securely (and out of the rain) is my main priority. I would also happily benefit from easy van camping. So I would gut the back seats and make a platform to get me above the wheel wells and put tool/camp storage underneath. I hope to drive this every day.

I plan on selling my 2004 Tacoma (4door, 4wd short bed, with camper shell) for probably more than what I paid 5 years ago, local resale is around 20k for similar condition. Will I be taking a big step backwards in terms of comfort and ease of driving? The Tacoma has been so solid and reliable, it just doesn’t really fit my work needs. (I rarely tow anything, and don’t really have too many dirty jobs)

Tldr: Is the hiace super custom turbo diesel a reliable work van? How would it compare to an 04 Tacoma? Can I fit full sheets of plywood easily if I’m above the wheel wells?

Bonus: is the 1kz-te the preferred engine or do we like the non-turbo?

Thanks already for all the good information I’ve gotten thus far.

Ryder
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Hiace for a cabinet maker work van   Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2021 6:46 pm

Hey there, as a local owner of a 3L equipped van I'm happy to answer questions. Check out the below thread as there have been some discussions on pros/cons of the 3L vs 1KZ-TE.

In my van with the trim installed, there is 4ft 7in of width measured over the wheel wells.

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t3984-to-turbo-or-not-to-turbo-that-is-the-question

TLDR: SCs with the 3L (1990-1993.08) are more reliable but slow, 1KZ-TE (1993.08-onwards) has more power but more issues due to added complexity from turbo/engine electrics & tstat location. For Super Customs they produced a lot more vans with the 1KZ-TE, so parts will be relatively easier to find. Also SC 3L models are part-time 4x4 and 1KZ-TE models are AWD. cosmicbonsai on the forum has a 3L AWD, but it's not an SC and that configuration seems limited to 'newer' e.g 1996, extra-long wheelbase models.

My 2 cents would be if you are going to have a work vehicle that you can camp in, would a Super GL not be a better choice? It has a longer wheelbase for cargo/camping flexibility and leaf springs for more cargo capacity. They come with the 3L and PT 4x4 (5L AWD starting in 1998). The Super GL has less features/creature comforts than the SCs, but if you are stripping out the rear, it becomes less of a difference.

Here's a couple good examples of Super GLs from Vanlife Northwest:
https://www.vanlifenorthwest.com/1994-toyota-hiace-super-gl-4wd-van
https://www.vanlifenorthwest.com/1991-toyota-hiace-super-gl-4wd-van

That being said, there aren't any Super GLs on CL that aren't already converted into built-out campers, so you'd have to either import one yourself, or get an outfit like Vanlife Northwest to bring one over.
Back to top Go down
rydersher
rydersher

PostSubject: Re: Hiace for a cabinet maker work van   Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2021 11:25 pm

Thank you djathens!

Figured I’d let this whole post settle before I reply. Your advice is spot on, I think a Super GL would probably be a better go, it seems any LH119 chassis would be what I’m looking for. There doesn’t appear to be any locally so I’ve dipped my toe in some of the “car of Japan” type websites to see what they stock. I also have a good friends uncle that lives in Japan and might be able to find some leads there. I’ll need to give VanlifeNW and others a call and see what’s coming down the pipeline. I understand it might be a while before I’m behind the wheel of my own. I guess I could even get ahold of a ‘97 if I wait until next year
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Hiace for a cabinet maker work van   Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2021 9:17 pm

Yes if using a Super Custom for carrying tools and materials you’d probably need to upgrade the rear springs. BUT that entirely depends how much weight. They’re commonly used as work vehicles over here in NZ but from memory even putting only 200kg in the back can have the rear noticeably dropping. With uprated springs I’ve regularly carried 700kg+ no problems but the ride is definitely harsher when empty. But that’s ditto for the leaf spring GL which are designed for 1000kg (from memory).
The standard length van will take 2.4m/8ft sheets either flat or vertically or 2.7m/9ft sheets flat (ends sitting above the bulkhead, they need that couple of inches extra).
For a fair idea of the Hiace dimensions and how they relate to tools and materials scale etc check out this local NZ builder’s YouTube vid (Scott Brown Carpentry). He’s done a vid specifically on his van fitout. It’s the next model Hiace (2004 onwards) but the scale is similar (the main difference being that new model takes 3m/10ft sheets).
https://youtu.be/kFWSY7ENIY4

Maintenance and costs will definitely be lower on the Tacoma! You gotta remember/realise these Hiaces are 25 years old now, almost 30. EVERYTHING is wearing, hardening, failing, deteriorating.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Hiace for a cabinet maker work van   Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 7:46 pm

Price is steep (but aren't all used cars these days?), but it's a great looking example!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1990-toyota-hiace-super-gl-4wd/7401989093.html

Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Super_10
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: Hiace for a cabinet maker work van   Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 8:38 pm

Nice van with likely genuine low kms. Have seen quite a few ex-fire vans with insanely low mileage but immaculately maintained.

That one definitely has the USA market insanity tax. That same van in Japan would maybe be around ¥1.3M/US$11,000. Although, that particular one may attract a bit higher. We’re still seeing immaculate freshly imported 90’s Super Customs here in NZ at car yards for NZ$12-19K (~ US$9-14K)

Check out our local (NZ) main auction/market site for what's available here and prices. This is a search of all Super Customs for sale up to year 2002. Check out the immaculate 1987 model!

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/search?search_string=hiace%20super%20custom&sort_order=motorsnewestvehicle&year_max=2002
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Hiace for a cabinet maker work van   Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 10:13 pm

Whoooa! That is truly pristine! $28k USD though, I'm sweating.... Razz

Worth sharing a pic and the link (lots of great photos): https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/toyota/hiace/listing/3052318311

Hiace for a cabinet maker work van 198710
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: Hiace for a cabinet maker work van   Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 10:32 pm

I love that that yard is selling it alongside Audi R8s, Maseratis and Porsches!
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Hiace for a cabinet maker work van   Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 6:10 pm

Ryder, thanks for your questions regarding the Japanese vans for work. I’m in a similar line of work and sold my 2000 Tacoma and purchased my van in 2012 with similar ideas of using it for work then camping part time. The one real advantage is that it becomes a partial write off for your business.

It’s not a good idea. I know in new zealand and other places they are commonly used by tradesmen, but It’s really not practical for hauling plywood mdf and tools, cupboards etc like you will be doing for cabinet installs. I currently run a 12’ enclosed trailer and that’s barely big enough for this kind of work.

Plus imagine a long week of work, then having to haul all your tools out, vacuum the sawdust, load whatever camping gear/ makeshift bed setup then unload Sunday night/ reload for work. Absolute nightmare. And you will likely end up not using it for as much camping if it’s not ready to go when you are. It’s like anything in life that does two things but not either of them very well.

Parts and maintenance on these vans is a fortune if you can even get them in the us.it’s an expensive hobby to own one, like having a boat, a very costly vehicle to be putting daily work miles on. I’m not saying don’t buy a van, just be aware of what driving this every day will practically be like opposed to a Tacoma.

Just an honest opinion from someone who has already tried it.

rydersher wrote:
Hey all I’ve been digging in this forum for about a week trying to soak up some insight as to whether a ‘94+ Super custom (turbo diesel) would be a suitable work van.

I’m in the US Northwest and have the luxury of quite a few importers doing the work of getting them into town and would have the ability to test drive one/take measurements if it seems to be a good fit. There’s probably 5 on Craigslist as I type this.

I make cabinets and often need to move up to six sheets of 4x8’ plywood (anything more than that I’ll just get delivered) as well as finished cabinets and furniture. Installation tools as well. Moving these items securely (and out of the rain) is my main priority. I would also happily benefit from easy van camping. So I would gut the back seats and make a platform to get me above the wheel wells and put tool/camp storage underneath. I hope to drive this every day.

I plan on selling my 2004 Tacoma (4door, 4wd short bed, with camper shell) for probably more than what I paid 5 years ago, local resale is around 20k for similar condition. Will I be taking a big step backwards in terms of comfort and ease of driving? The Tacoma has been so solid and reliable, it just doesn’t really fit my work needs. (I rarely tow anything, and don’t really have too many dirty jobs)

Tldr: Is the hiace super custom turbo diesel a reliable work van? How would it compare to an 04 Tacoma? Can I fit full sheets of plywood easily if I’m above the wheel wells?

Bonus: is the 1kz-te the preferred engine or do we like the non-turbo?

Thanks already for all the good information I’ve gotten thus far.

Ryder
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
rydersher
rydersher

PostSubject: Re: Hiace for a cabinet maker work van   Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2021 11:18 pm

Merlin,

Wow never expected to get such a similar experience in the replies, thanks for sharing. And yep, once I started to get around a few it didn’t take long for me to realize it was not going to be suitable for the amount of volume I’ll need to transport, let alone the mechanical unfamiliarity. I’ve set my sights on a 140 wheelbase T1N sprinter.

Really appreciate the help from all, and this forum is great resource!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiace for a cabinet maker work van   Hiace for a cabinet maker work van Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiace for a cabinet maker work van
Page 1 of 1