Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

AC condenser fan not running

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gregory
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 27
Home City : Seattle, WA, USA
Model and year : 1995 Hiace Living Saloon EX 2wd H100G 1kz-te
Registration date : 2021-03-24

AC condenser fan not running Empty
PostSubject: AC condenser fan not running   AC condenser fan not running Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2021 9:09 pm

I replaced my AC compressor (with major help from user blgravely) but am now chasing down what appears to be a faulty condenser fan. The AC blows cold when the clutch is first engaged but then after about 45 seconds, the clutch starts cycling on and off in ~15 second intervals. After awhile the AC starts blowing ambient temperature air (both front and back AC), and I can see through the front bumper to the condenser fan and it’s just sitting there not moving. I can hear the relay clicking in the passenger footwell and pulled what I believe is the fan’s relay to test it but hit a dead end when I realized I have no clue how to test it, especially because this particular relay has no markings/diagrams.

Does the condenser fan run anytime the AC is engaged? Or just when it hits a certain temp? Any other trouble shooting, suggestions or experience with this issue?
Back to top Go down
parxuk
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 48
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2021-05-03

PostSubject: Re: AC condenser fan not running   AC condenser fan not running Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 5:48 pm

I purchased my Hiace back in May and the aircon didnt work at all. Who knows how long it hadnt worked for?

I took it to a garage (very old school) who pressure tested the system and had to regass.

They then turned the system on and found that the fan on the compessor wouldnt run. They then spent the next 30 minutes gradually trying to turn it by hand (with a long screwdriver from the front of the car).

Bit by bit they eventually managed to get it moving and then with liberal amounts of WD40 etc it span freely. It has since been wrking flawlessly which I find impressive and surprising for a 28 year old car.

The fan doesnt run all of the time with the aircon on, but I think most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Gregory
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: AC condenser fan not running   AC condenser fan not running Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 6:26 pm

Lol wow, love this caveman method. I’ll try this today, although I’m pretty sure my fan is in a cage that might not accommodate a screwdriver. Either way, I’ll take a look.
Back to top Go down
parxuk
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: AC condenser fan not running   AC condenser fan not running Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 7:02 pm

Yep mine also in cage. It was a slow process, but credit to the mechanics who persevered and sorted it.

Gregory likes this post

Back to top Go down
parxuk
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: AC condenser fan not running   AC condenser fan not running Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 7:16 pm

AC condenser fan not running Pxl_2012AC condenser fan not running Pxl_2012AC condenser fan not running Pxl_2012AC condenser fan not running Pxl_2012
Back to top Go down
parxuk
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: AC condenser fan not running   AC condenser fan not running Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 7:17 pm

Sorry, posted the image from phone and dont know why it uploaded the same image so many times!!!!
Back to top Go down
Gregory
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: AC condenser fan not running   AC condenser fan not running Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 3:38 am

Ah yah, unfortunately the cage around my fan has a much tighter weave, I don’t think I’ll be able to get anything through it.
Back to top Go down
imants
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 35
Home City : Tokyo
Model and year : Super Custom 2004
1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: AC condenser fan not running   AC condenser fan not running Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2021 11:42 am

In your pics, on the right side of the fan appears to be power plug. You might want to check with a light bulb if 12v are supplied there when a/c is running. If 12v are supplied and fan is not spinning... you got a good reason to fish that fan out for further investigation...
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: AC condenser fan not running   AC condenser fan not running Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2021 1:49 pm

Also if the engine gets too hot (unplug the temperature sensor near the filling cap on the 1kZ - to simulate this) it will spin the fan too.
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: AC condenser fan not running   AC condenser fan not running Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2021 5:54 pm

Hey guys.

The condenser fan is really hard to get to.

It receives 2 signals to activate it. One from the compressor and one from the engine temp sensor on the water manifold just under the radiator cap.

These signals join at a ceramic resistor on the back side of the condenser power pack assembly.

1.  To see if the thing works ground the sensor wire at the water manifold. Use a paper clip or a little bit of wire. Engine can be running or in the accessory position. This forces it to come off and on as you ground it. It is a pusher fan so air will be forced down through the condenser and radiator, out the bottom of that skid plate/grill thing behind the license plate. If it comes on you have a wiring problem on the AC side.  Ours worked but vibrated and the bearing was squealing like a screaming child.

If it doesn’t you’re going to have to do what I did and put a derale fan assembly off my race car like I did on my wife’s van. Keep in mind if you go that route the repair is very challenging. It is really hard to get that thing out. Bumper comes off. And you take the whole assembly off from underneath and then split the power pack. If you need to do that I can help over the phone but plan on a day or 2. It’s cheaper that route than trying to source a motor assembly. Quieter and probably 3 times more powerful too.

Let me know what you find out. I, back from missions until next year. Just getting the place ready for Halloween.
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: AC condenser fan not running   AC condenser fan not running Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2021 6:01 pm

AC condenser fan not running E913f510
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AC condenser fan not running   AC condenser fan not running Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AC condenser fan not running
Page 1 of 1