Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1997 Air Con condenser fan issues

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
OldestP
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 40
Home City : Bulli NSW Australia
Registration date : 2020-03-05

1997 Air Con condenser fan issues Empty
PostSubject: 1997 Air Con condenser fan issues   1997 Air Con condenser fan issues Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 2:18 am

Hi all, finally got the van 1997 SC 4wd back on the road, 1kz-te new head. I installed a new ac compressor also as the old one was stuffed.
Went yesterday to get regassed however came up with high pressure on the Low side and low pressure on the High side. Auto Elec thinks the condenser fan not working/coming on and maybe condenser is the issue. Has anyone else had this issue with their ac in their van or any other common issues ? Any help would be great.
Back to top Go down
OldestP
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Air Con condenser fan issues   1997 Air Con condenser fan issues Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 7:52 am

I had a play around with the condenser fan today and applied 12v to it and it powered up ok. Fuses and relay in footwell seem ok and can hear relay clicking on. Testing for power at the fan, the four wired plug and not getting a 12v signal. Anyone
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Air Con condenser fan issues   1997 Air Con condenser fan issues Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 11:39 am

The condenser fan - you mean the big horizontal one underneath that also does radiator 2?

Disconnecting a wire from a sensor near the coolant filler / head outlet also makes that spin. So test that, and also there will I suspect be a relay that mixes the demand from AC or that temperature switch, perhaps that is broken.

Not sure how to locate the relay, but one of it's outlets must be connected to the fan. A wiring diagram would be useful, I'll post back if I find one!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Air Con condenser fan issues   1997 Air Con condenser fan issues Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 11:44 am

Ok, I found this. Under the gear shifter next to the right ankle, of the passenger sitting in the left front seat Wink

1997 Air Con condenser fan issues Screen-Shot-2021-04-25-at-11-41-53
Back to top Go down
OldestP
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Air Con condenser fan issues   1997 Air Con condenser fan issues Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 10:21 pm

Hi GPW, thanks for the response, reliable as ever. I am taking it back to the auto electrician today for another go. For some reason the condenser fan on top of rad2 is not getting power to it so that will be their starting point. I will check the sensor wire at the coolant neck also. I can hear the relay clicking on and off in the footwell when pressing the ac button. Does the fan on your van come on when the ac is on automatically? I will report back on findings. Thanks again. Craig
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Air Con condenser fan issues   1997 Air Con condenser fan issues Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 10:27 pm

Hi!

I don't know 100% if the fan comes on with the AC - as I have not checked.
But logically it must, as the condenser is useless without the fan running.

It's quite a powerful fan, I'd not be surprised if the relay had a limited life: they are good, but don't last forever Wink

OldestP likes this post

Back to top Go down
OldestP
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Air Con condenser fan issues   1997 Air Con condenser fan issues Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2021 5:51 am

I spoke with the auto electrician this afternoon and they have had no luck finding the fault. They said to save a stack of money on them trying to find the fault, that they would put a direct wire to the fan with the proper relay, fuse etc from the ac on switch so the fan would come on every time the ac is on which for me here in Australia would be almost all the time anyway. Will see how it goes I don’t think it should be a problem as it needs the fan for the ac to cool the condenser.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Air Con condenser fan issues   1997 Air Con condenser fan issues Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2021 6:36 am

That kind of response disappoints me; "can't be bothered to do some research and find the problem, so let's just bodge it, charge the customer and get it out of here".
I'm a technician by nature and would never be satisfied if I didn't find the cause of the problem, and if it took me quite a bit of time to research it I'd be very likely to write off a considerable amount of that time so the customer was not disadvantaged.

OldestP likes this post

Back to top Go down
OldestP
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Air Con condenser fan issues   1997 Air Con condenser fan issues Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2021 7:43 am

I got the van back this afternoon and the ac is working and ice cold. I would have like to know where the original issue was but I didn’t have the money to pay for them to go through it. While not ideal I am happy with the final result.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Air Con condenser fan issues   1997 Air Con condenser fan issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1997 Air Con condenser fan issues
Page 1 of 1